Question: 2013 Running back Depth for Alabama

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
The pecking order at RB will work itself out.

Imo Yeldon is the only proven commodity (esp. with Jalston hurt) and the depth behind him could be anyone.

Henry, Tenpenny, even Jones could be breakout backs for us next year and have big numbers. You just never know. RB is definitely one position I don't worry about as long as CNS is around.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm more worried about the O and D lines next season. I believe RBs will be just fine when it comes to depth.
I think we'll be ok at the LOS. There is always someone in the offseason who comes of age and here is where we will see that happen. I do believe we are going to be more of a running team next year since run blocking has become an artform at the Capstone and pass blocking needs more development by the new starters. And I really hope that Fowler rehabs into pre-injury form so we can use the I formation again. Yea, I think we will reload nicely again for next season. :BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have been recruiting Henry aggressively from the outset, so I don't Hart going down initiated some full-court press on him.

Look at what is probable depth chart:

Yeldon
Fowler
Drake
Hart
Tenpenny
Jones
Henry

One thing to consider is that Fowler may get plenty of true tailback snaps but I think it is very likely he may become a top option at H-B next season. We've gotten hardly anything from that position this season and his versatility as a pass catch option is huge. It may mean that a third back will get more significant regular action than we've seen in previous seasons because Fowler will be playing a good deal at fullback or h-back in base packages. Looking at the Michigan game - the only time we really got to see Fowler, Lacy, and Yeldon together - that seemed to be the case for this season before the injury.

I'm guessing one of the Freshman may have a shot at passing Drake, specifically Henry who has that leg-drive ability to pound out yards between the tackles. I get the feeling that Hart's opportunity as a tailback may have passed and he will be mainly a special teams guy.
I think that JF will be used in both capacities, just as he was pre-injury. He's versatile enough he can do it...

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
As always, the playing time of the incoming freshmen at RB will be largely determined by how well they block.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
As always, the playing time of the incoming freshmen at RB will be largely determined by how well they block.
IIRC, D. Henry will be an early enrollee. That should help him immensely as far as learning the playbook and picking up blocking techniques. (Don't know if he has good hands or not - anyone know?) Regardless, it'll be hard keeping him on the bench next year, IMO.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Lot of depth as it looks right now, but we've got a long way to go. Two of those kids are coming back from major knee injuries, and the harsh realities of the tailback position are such that in a typical year you can expect to lose somewhere between one and three players either for the entire year due to injuries, or at least for a fairly significant portion of it with a performance-hampering injury (high ankle sprains, MCL sprains, turf toe, etc).

We'll see how it plays out, but frankly I don't see either Tenpenny or Henry redshirting if they are healthy. They may get carries like Drake got this year, but I don't think those guys will be on the scout team come next November.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
We'll see how it plays out, but frankly I don't see either Tenpenny or Henry redshirting if they are healthy. They may get carries like Drake got this year, but I don't think those guys will be on the scout team come next November.
With Henry looking to enroll early, he looks like a pretty solid bet to play as a true freshman.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.