Jeremy Pruitt to FSU as DC

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Interesting hire. From high school DC about 7 years ago to just a full time coach for the DB's 3 years. Sounds to me like Jimbo needed a glorified Recruiting coordinator.

According to two reports, Alabama's third-year secondary coach will be the new defensive coordinator at Florida State.
Known as one of the top recruiters on Saban's staff, Pruitt primarily has coached safeties in the past three years. After serving as an assistant coach at Hoover High School, he joined Saban's staff in 2007 as a director of player development.
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/12/report_jeremy_pruitt_leaving_a.html

Last edited:

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
It was just a matter of time before he landed a DC gig somewhere. He was one of the few that Coach Saban kept off of Coach Shula's staff. The story I heard was that Coach Saban handed him a dry erase marker and told him he had 15 minutes to convince him to let him stay. An hour and half later he was still drawing up defensive schemes. His Dad is a good coach too, he just coaches for the enemy. Also heard that when Jeremy was playing at Alabama, Coach Stallings said if he could put Jeremy's head on a faster body, he would have the perfect college football player. I will say that he embarrassed our community when he was on Two-a-Days. There was an episode that showed him having Thanksgiving dinner with one of Hoover's players. He asked what "this" is. It was asparagus, and his reply was "We ain't got that on Sand Mountain". That stung a little.
I'm pretty sure he was at Hoover before being hired by saban in 2007.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I am happy for Coach Pruitt, but selifishly I don't like this. It's only a matter of time before we lose Smart. I didn't have any doubts that Pruitt was going to be our next DC after Smart leaves.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not a good trade.
A little harsh with that comment. Coach Sal was a highly respected NFL coach and was a great assistant and recruiter at Bama. You don't get a DC gig if your not a good coach. He did not do well at UT but that had more to do with the talent and implementing a totally new scheme.

Since we are talking replacements, what about D. Dooley?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am happy for Coach Pruitt, but selifishly I don't like this. It's only a matter of time before we lose Smart. I didn't have any doubts that Pruitt was going to be our next DC after Smart leaves.
He had been told that. OTOH, he may not have believed Smart was ever going to leave - before Coach Saban.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A little harsh with that comment. Coach Sal was a highly respected NFL coach and was a great assistant and recruiter at Bama. You don't get a DC gig if your not a good coach. He did not do well at UT but that had more to do with the talent and implementing a totally new scheme.

Since we are talking replacements, what about D. Dooley?
Aside from the money and the title of DC, CSS knew that he had two guys, at least, ahead of him for DC at Bama and both were far younger. That may be a negative factor for him, but a job is a job...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.