Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team Bamatim15's Avatar

Re: Notre Dame's mission--representing the rest of the country

Then why does ND's basketball team belong to a conference? Sorry but I'm not buying it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

It is hard for me to decide which one I pull more against; ND or the barn. This is a huge game for old Bama fans. Like losing to Auburn when the teams are close enough for the game to be in doubt. I'm as nervous about it as I would be if Auburn was on the other side; with winner taking the NC

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamatim15 View Post
    Then why does ND's basketball team belong to a conference? Sorry but I'm not buying it.
    Because ND is a FB school NOT a basketball school. All of their other teams are also in a conference. Football is what put ND on the map and made it the brand it is today and football pays all of the bills for ALL the other sports.

In fact MOST of ND 's football revenue is poured back into academic programs
    Last edited by Maverick2; December 18th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2 View Post
    ND does not join a conference becasue it would hurt them. It all goes way back when Knute Rockne was coach and ND wanted to join the Big-10. Well the Big-10 led by Michigan wanted to blackball ND and convinced the rest of the Big-10 schools not to allow ND into the conference. They even tried to force all the other Big-10 schools not to even schedule ND as an OOC game. Purdue and Michigan Agriculture school which later became Michigan State refused to blackball ND and put them on their schedule. To this day ND has always played MSU and Purdue every year.

This forced Rockne and ND to travel all over the country to play all different teams. Hence it created a national following for ND which still exists today. Now, Alabama is VERY fortunate that you can get 90% of your players right in your nearby backyard. ND does not have that luxury as I would hardly call Indiana, Illinois or Minnesota a "hotbed" of talented college FB players. So ND MUST recruit nationally as they do, and as a result, their players are from all over the country. If they were to say join the Big-10 that would pretty much kill their national recruiting as why would a kid from California want to go to ND and only play teams from the Mid-West, and hardly ever be on national TV?.

That is a BIG recruiting help when you can tell a kid 1) You will be on TV every week and 2) You will be playing teams from all over the country 3) You WILL graduate and NOT with a degree in PE or recreational management.

If ND were to join any conference their national recruiting base would be gone, as they can't get 90% of their players from one state or one area.....You can all blame Michigan!
    Good information. I never knew that the Big 10 tried to blackball them.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    Good information. I never knew that the Big 10 tried to blackball them.
    Glad you found it informative, ND resists joining a conference not because they think they are "better than everyone."

It has to do with who they are, a small catholic university with 8500 students in the mid-west who has a national following.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by ontopp View Post
    I went to this site. It wasn't very informative, lots of nothing!
    Im shocked.

...You thought it would be informative?

Glad you found it informative, ND resists joining a conference not because they think they are "better than everyone."

It has to do with who they are, a small catholic university with 8500 students in the mid-west who has a national following.
    The "Catholic" part is important also. As I said before, when I lived in NYC it seemed that all Catholics who didn't have an allegiance to another school (Fordham, ST. Johns, etc.) were default Notre Dame fans. That helps big time in recruiting. Of the SEC schools, the one which has been known over the years for recruiting mostly nationally has been Tennessee. Not coincidentally, that state produces the fewest decent Div I players per capita in the Southeast...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    I hope their team is spending time thinking about irrelevancies like "who they represent" while our team is thinking only of how they can cover better, tackle better, block better....
    I dont think their team is concerned with that at all....but their fans are, just as we are...

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The "Catholic" part is important also. As I said before, when I lived in NYC it seemed that all Catholics who didn't have an allegiance to another school (Fordham, ST. Johns, etc.) were default Notre Dame fans. That helps big time in recruiting. Of the SEC schools, the one which has been known over the years for recruiting mostly nationally has been Tennessee. Not coincidentally, that state produces the fewest decent Div I players per capita in the Southeast...
    This makes sense - I don't know many people from the Northeast, but those that I do know either follow Notre Dame or do not follow college football at all. They are all NFL, NHL and NBA fans.

BamaNation First Team

The media is usually reporting it more of being elitist--this gives me a better understanding the dynamics involved in Notre Dame remaining independent. Because Rockne was forced to take Notre Dame all over the country it certainly made them a national team.
    If they had joined the Big 10 they would have certainly been limited in being able to have a rivalry with USC.

SEC fans are not too fond of the Big 10 and Pac 10 tying up the Rose Bowl 50 years ago.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    The media is usually reporting it more of being elitist--this gives me a better understanding the dynamics involved in Notre Dame remaining independent. Because Rockne was forced to take Notre Dame all over the country it certainly made them a national team.
    If they had joined the Big 10 they would have certainly been limited in being able to have a rivalry with USC.

SEC fans are not too fond of the Big 10 and Pac 10 tying up the Rose Bowl 50 years ago.

Some in the media just don't like ND and many of them have no idea about the blackballing by the Big-10 decades ago, so they think ND is "elitist" for not joining a conference. It is not, many of their fans are jerks but the university itself tries to do the right thing.

And when ND fired Willingham who was the WORST coach ND ever hired, they were CRUCIFIED. All because Willingham was black. You didn't hear the out cry when Michigan State fired Bobby Williams who is currently an Alabama coach. Or when Oklahoma fired coach John Blake, nary a whimper from the media. Look at Colorado they fired Embree after TWO years, NOTHING from the media. When ND fired Willighmam, it was non-stop attacks from ESPN ESPECIALLY the black commentators i.e. Saunders, the guy on PTI who I can't remember his name. Willighman almost destroyed the program beyond repair. And Willingham proved he was awful, he went to Washington and drove that program into the ground too.
    Last edited by Maverick2; December 20th, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

BamaNation First Team

Some in the media just don't like ND and many of them have no idea about the blackballing by the Big-10 decades ago, so they think ND is "elitist" for not joining a conference. It is not, many of their fans are jerks but the university itself tries to do the right thing.

And when ND fired Willingham who was the WORST coach ND ever hired, they were CRUCIFIED. All because Willingham was black. You didn't hear the out cry when Michigan State fired Bobby Williams who is currently an Alabama coach. Or when Oklahoma fired coach John Blake, nary a whimper from the media. Look at Colorado they fired Embree after TWO years, NOTHING from the media. When ND fired Willighmam, it was non-stop attacks from ESPN ESPECIALLY the black commentators i.e. Saunders, the guy on PTI who I can't remember his name. Willighman almost destroyed the program beyond repair. And Willingham proved he was awful, he went to Washington and drove that program into the ground too.
    I certainly respect what Notre Dame has done as an Independent all these years. You guys are tied with Alabama at 8 AP titles each. It took Bama many years to catch up since those early 70s bowl games Notre Dame was victorious in over Alabama.

That's interesting. Of course, I tend not to notice quite so much when it's someone else who's getting crucified. Some used to feel that Alabama could never afford to take a chance and hire a black football HC, simply because of the name. If he didn't make it, Bama would never be forgiven, even if we held on to him for ten years. MSU/Croom sort of solved that problem for everybody. Now for quarterbacks. Bama has one of the more successful academic diversity programs in the country, but, somehow, you just never hear of it, because people from other parts of the country hear "Alabama," and they close their ears (and minds, if they weren't already completely closed). I'm beginning to think that the two schools have some heretofore undiscovered commonalities I hadn't suspected...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus