Notre Dame's mission--representing the rest of the country

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Do not forget Notre Dame's history.
This tradition of dethroning dynasties must be what gives the Notre Dame fan base confidence that they are the chosen ones. It was Notre Dame that ended the Oklahoma 47 game win streak. see below. (Also they beat powerful Texas in the 70s twices in bowls to end National titles quests-- not to mention Alabama in the 70s.

Bud Wilkinson. Oklahoma. 1953.
Notre Dame beats OU 28-21.

OU goes on to a 47 game unbeaten streak.

1957. Enter heavy underdog Notre Dame with a 4-2 record against powerful Oklahoma.
Oklahoma STILL hasn’t lost since 28-21 in 1953

Notre Dame beats powerful Oklahoma by a score 7 to 0 to end the longest winning streak in college football history and to end the Oklahoma dynasty.

Notre Dame Coach Parseghian's 9–1 squad ended Texas' Southwest Conference record 30 game winning streak in the 1971 Cotton Bowl Classic.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think it is more of the rest if the country pulling against the SEC rather than for Notre Dame. It's hard to believe they have been irreverent for 20+ years. No probation, scholarship reduction, or bowl ban etc... holding them back.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Do not forget Notre Dame's history.
This tradition of dethroning dynasties must be what gives the Notre Dame fan base confidence that they are the chosen ones. It was Notre Dame that ended the Oklahoma 47 game win streak. see below. (Also they beat powerful Texas in the 70s twices in bowls to end National titles quests-- not to mention Alabama in the 70s.

Bud Wilkinson. Oklahoma. 1953.
Notre Dame beats OU 28-21.

OU goes on to a 47 game unbeaten streak.

1957. Enter heavy underdog Notre Dame with a 4-2 record against powerful Oklahoma.
Oklahoma STILL hasn’t lost since 28-21 in 1953

Notre Dame beats powerful Oklahoma by a score 7 to 0 to end the longest winning streak in college football history and to end the Oklahoma dynasty.

Notre Dame Coach Parseghian's 9–1 squad ended Texas' Southwest Conference record 30 game winning streak in the 1971 Cotton Bowl Classic.
Im going to be honest with you, that is actually a scary fact right there. However ND did fail to beat USC during during their "Dynasty" years from 2002 to 2009. Keep that in mind....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Interesting facts but trivial to the game. All-time records against an opponent don't mean anything when most of the players were in diapers or not even born when the two teams played last.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
I think it is more of the rest if the country pulling against the SEC rather than for Notre Dame. It's hard to believe they have been irreverent for 20+ years. No probation, scholarship reduction, or bowl ban etc... holding them back.

Very BAD coaches with Willingham being the WORST. When he was fired ND had only 65 kids on scholarship. So When Weis arrived there were good players in the Jr and Sr classes i.e. Quinn, Smarjidza, Stovall, Fasano But there was basically NO Fr or soph class, so in year three and four Weis had to play true freshman and sophmores on both lines, QB, RB, WR. It's ok to sprinkle in true freshman here and there but you can't have more true freshmen and true sophomores STARTING than jr's and Sr's.....You will get killed and they did. Plus Weis, hired some asst coaches who just were not that good. ND does not allow JUCO's which could have helped the scholarship shortfall. ND is just NOW getting back to the 85 scholarship limit which took well over 8 years to correct......Self imposed "sanctions"

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama fans should know how you can fall from prominence given the missteps from Stallings retirement up to Saban. Davie was Notre Dame's Mike Dubose: over-promoted assistant/coordinator type. George O'Leary was their Mike Price, each never coached a game before being fired. Willingham-Weis era is like Franchoine-Shula at Alabama: the cupboards grow bare (partly due to sanctions at Alabama, but Franchoine still greatly mismanaged the roster in his short tenure which killed Shula near the end of his tenure). Weis questionably had a revolving door on his defensive staff while Shula stubbornly refused to change his staff in the face of long struggles on offense. The combination of playing young teams with at least one terribly coached side of the football, each were canned.

The fact that Notre Dame was wandering around in the wilderness for two decades isn't that crazy because each basically had the same kind of look previous to their current staff. Each had a few 10 win seasons surrounded by mediocre to bad teams.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for folks on IrishEnvy..The only thing that rivals the hate towards the SEC..Is the hate toward The Irish..The hate toward ND may be even greater..

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Interesting facts but trivial to the game. All-time records against an opponent don't mean anything when most of the players were in diapers or not even born when the two teams played last.
Never under estimate the tradition, spirit, and fans of great programs; it is a multiplier for the athletes and coaches of those programs.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for folks on IrishEnvy..The only thing that rivals the hate towards the SEC..Is the hate toward The Irish..The hate toward ND may be even greater..
I would agree the hate for ND is very large. Now, EVERY fan base has their idiots and ND has their fair share. Holtz has said this and I believe it's true; the real disdain for ND started back in 1992 when ND signed their exclusive TV contract with NBC. And the one who led the VERY public attack both in print and TV was Joe Paterno, who felt that ND did not need an exclusive contract.

"They are going to be on national TV every week, this will be a great recruiting tool that they don't even need because they already get whoever they want, no other school can do this" etc etc.

ND did that to ensure that their national fan base could see ND on TV as much as possible and not be subject to regional broadcasts. ND had taken similar actions years ago with ABC when they were the only network televising college FB games. ND took the lead in telling ABC and the NCAA that they along with several other schools were not going to stand for them only televising one or two games per week on TV.

Both deals paved the way for what we have now....Multiple games on TV for all fans and not one network dictating who would be televised.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I would agree the hate for ND is very large. Now, EVERY fan base has their idiots and ND has their fair share. Holtz has said this and I believe it's true; the real disdain for ND started back in 1992 when ND signed their exclusive TV contract with NBC. And the one who led the VERY public attack both in print and TV was Joe Paterno, who felt that ND did not need an exclusive contract.

"They are going to be on national TV every week, this will be a great recruiting tool that they don't even need because they already get whoever they want, no other school can do this" etc etc.

ND did that to ensure that their national fan base could see ND on TV as much as possible and not be subject to regional broadcasts. ND had taken similar actions years ago with ABC when they were the only network televising college FB games. ND took the lead in telling ABC and the NCAA that they along with several other schools were not going to stand for them only televising one or two games per week on TV.

Both deals paved the way for what we have now....Multiple games on TV for all fans and not one network dictating who would be televised.
I remember being in Moscow, Russia in 1995 and seeing advertising for Notre Dame's NBC games to even be broadcast on Russian TV programming. Irish fans have some nice benefits for their TV packages.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Norte Dame wouldn't stoop so low as to represent the "common". Afterall, they refused to join a representing conference. So there really isn't a discussion.

;-)

I love this time of year.

RTR

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Norte Dame wouldn't stoop so low as to represent the "common". Afterall, they refused to join a representing conference. So there really isn't a discussion.

;-)

I love this time of year.

RTR

ND does not join a conference becasue it would hurt them. It all goes way back when Knute Rockne was coach and ND wanted to join the Big-10. Well the Big-10 led by Michigan wanted to blackball ND and convinced the rest of the Big-10 schools not to allow ND into the conference. They even tried to force all the other Big-10 schools not to even schedule ND as an OOC game. Purdue and Michigan Agriculture school which later became Michigan State refused to blackball ND and put them on their schedule. To this day ND has always played MSU and Purdue every year.

This forced Rockne and ND to travel all over the country to play all different teams. Hence it created a national following for ND which still exists today. Now, Alabama is VERY fortunate that you can get 90% of your players right in your nearby backyard. ND does not have that luxury as I would hardly call Indiana, Illinois or Minnesota a "hotbed" of talented college FB players. So ND MUST recruit nationally as they do, and as a result, their players are from all over the country. If they were to say join the Big-10 that would pretty much kill their national recruiting as why would a kid from California want to go to ND and only play teams from the Mid-West, and hardly ever be on national TV?.

That is a BIG recruiting help when you can tell a kid 1) You will be on TV every week and 2) You will be playing teams from all over the country 3) You WILL graduate and NOT with a degree in PE or recreational management.

If ND were to join any conference their national recruiting base would be gone, as they can't get 90% of their players from one state or one area.....You can all blame Michigan!

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
It is hard for me to decide which one I pull more against; ND or the barn. This is a huge game for old Bama fans. Like losing to Auburn when the teams are close enough for the game to be in doubt. I'm as nervous about it as I would be if Auburn was on the other side; with winner taking the NC

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Then why does ND's basketball team belong to a conference? Sorry but I'm not buying it.
Because ND is a FB school NOT a basketball school. All of their other teams are also in a conference. Football is what put ND on the map and made it the brand it is today and football pays all of the bills for ALL the other sports.

In fact MOST of ND 's football revenue is poured back into academic programs

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
ND does not join a conference becasue it would hurt them. It all goes way back when Knute Rockne was coach and ND wanted to join the Big-10. Well the Big-10 led by Michigan wanted to blackball ND and convinced the rest of the Big-10 schools not to allow ND into the conference. They even tried to force all the other Big-10 schools not to even schedule ND as an OOC game. Purdue and Michigan Agriculture school which later became Michigan State refused to blackball ND and put them on their schedule. To this day ND has always played MSU and Purdue every year.

This forced Rockne and ND to travel all over the country to play all different teams. Hence it created a national following for ND which still exists today. Now, Alabama is VERY fortunate that you can get 90% of your players right in your nearby backyard. ND does not have that luxury as I would hardly call Indiana, Illinois or Minnesota a "hotbed" of talented college FB players. So ND MUST recruit nationally as they do, and as a result, their players are from all over the country. If they were to say join the Big-10 that would pretty much kill their national recruiting as why would a kid from California want to go to ND and only play teams from the Mid-West, and hardly ever be on national TV?.

That is a BIG recruiting help when you can tell a kid 1) You will be on TV every week and 2) You will be playing teams from all over the country 3) You WILL graduate and NOT with a degree in PE or recreational management.

If ND were to join any conference their national recruiting base would be gone, as they can't get 90% of their players from one state or one area.....You can all blame Michigan!
Good information. I never knew that the Big 10 tried to blackball them.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Good information. I never knew that the Big 10 tried to blackball them.
Glad you found it informative, ND resists joining a conference not because they think they are "better than everyone."

It has to do with who they are, a small catholic university with 8500 students in the mid-west who has a national following.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Glad you found it informative, ND resists joining a conference not because they think they are "better than everyone."

It has to do with who they are, a small catholic university with 8500 students in the mid-west who has a national following.
The "Catholic" part is important also. As I said before, when I lived in NYC it seemed that all Catholics who didn't have an allegiance to another school (Fordham, ST. Johns, etc.) were default Notre Dame fans. That helps big time in recruiting. Of the SEC schools, the one which has been known over the years for recruiting mostly nationally has been Tennessee. Not coincidentally, that state produces the fewest decent Div I players per capita in the Southeast...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.