News Article: Michigan beat-writers examine Alabama vs. Notre Dame

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
it's strange, but i can honestly say i don't think we've really improved as the season has progressed. that being said, i think it's because we started the season in mid-season form moreso than because we had so much to improve upon.

Michigan's defense did get better during the season I guess, but they didn't have to face another offense like Bama's with so much balance. Michigan should have won that game but just dumb mistakes that they couldn't overcome. Golson was pulled in that game as well. I think we had highs and lows all season with the lowest being aTm. I fully believe we've learned from that mistake. Plus we destroyed team they played like Iowa and Pitt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it's strange, but i can honestly say i don't think we've really improved as the season has progressed. that being said, i think it's because we started the season in mid-season form moreso than because we had so much to improve upon.
Injuries, both season-ending, and limiting, as in AJ's, have had a lot to do with that...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Michigan's defense did get better during the season I guess, but they didn't have to face another offense like Bama's with so much balance. Michigan should have won that game but just dumb mistakes that they couldn't overcome. Golson was pulled in that game as well. I think we had highs and lows all season with the lowest being aTm. I fully believe we've learned from that mistake. Plus we destroyed team they played like Iowa and Pitt.
6 turnovers from Michigan and ND wins by 7 at HOME....

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
6 turnovers from Michigan and ND wins by 7 at HOME....
Just to add some perspective, and bear in mind if I were betting on the winner of the NCG I would undoubtedly bet on Alabama: Michigan was losing 10-0 in the fourth quarter. Notre Dame pretty much sat on that lead and played it safe after yanking Golson early on. Michigan never had the ball down less than two scores after ND scored its TD in the second quarter. Michigan kicked a field goal with 3 minutes left to make it a seven point game. The offensive line and quarterback play has vastly improved since, namely Golic and Golson. In addition, one of those turnovers came as the half expired, and a couple more resulted in ND just giving the ball right back on Golson mistakes.

To add more perspective, though, I bet 35 on Bama to cover 13 against Michigan. While watching that game, I told another ND fan that I hoped you guys didn't slip up at some point because I didn't want to have to play the Tide if we somehow made the Fiesta or Sugar Bowl... Irony

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jalston Fowler being out for the season really hurt some of the multiples in the offense and depth at tailback. I think DeAndrew White was closing in on having his break out season too but Cooper having his own break out helped ease the loss. This is the best offense Alabama has had in a long time and I don't even think we got their best possible output due to injuries. Heck, AJ's back getting dinged up probably limited things too. Yes, he was playing better defenses down the stretch but he started sailing throws way more after that MSU hit when he had basically been spot on all season. Hopefully we'll see the McCarron from earlier in the season after this month of healing.

The OL will take a step back next year but I'm excited to see what we can do next season with White and Fowler back in the offense.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Jalston Fowler being out for the season really hurt some of the multiples in the offense and depth at tailback. I think DeAndrew White was closing in on having his break out season too but Cooper having his own break out helped ease the loss. This is the best offense Alabama has had in a long time and I don't even think we got their best possible output due to injuries. Heck, AJ's back getting dinged up probably limited things too. Yes, he was playing better defenses down the stretch but he started sailing throws way more after that MSU hit when he had basically been spot on all season. Hopefully we'll see the McCarron from earlier in the season after this month of healing.

The OL will take a step back next year but I'm excited to see what we can do next season with White and Fowler back in the offense.
The "back" injury was more of a "shoulder" injury...

Just to add some perspective, and bear in mind if I were betting on the winner of the NCG I would undoubtedly bet on Alabama: Michigan was losing 10-0 in the fourth quarter. Notre Dame pretty much sat on that lead and played it safe after yanking Golson early on. Michigan never had the ball down less than two scores after ND scored its TD in the second quarter. Michigan kicked a field goal with 3 minutes left to make it a seven point game. The offensive line and quarterback play has vastly improved since, namely Golic and Golson. In addition, one of those turnovers came as the half expired, and a couple more resulted in ND just giving the ball right back on Golson mistakes.

To add more perspective, though, I bet 35 on Bama to cover 13 against Michigan. While watching that game, I told another ND fan that I hoped you guys didn't slip up at some point because I didn't want to have to play the Tide if we somehow made the Fiesta or Sugar Bowl... Irony
And the excuses... If some team with Michigan's talent played Bama and turned the ball over that many times Bama would win by at least 30.

My bad Michigan turned it over only twice and got blown off the field.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know I'm not the only one who is hoping for AJ to be 100%, our offense should roll big time if he is:)
He had actually begun to heal in the last two games and you could see it in the zip on his throws. I'd think he's be close to 100% for the Domers...

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
The "back" injury was more of a "shoulder" injury...
That is what i finally suspected as i watched AJ play not have zip on the ball or his normal moxy. He was really tentative at the end of the season.

Had he had full strength against A&M we score on that last deep pass and don't have that failed drive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.