Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Another ND Fan Impressed By Bama Fans

Like many older 'Bama fans, my dislike of ND is threefold:

(1) They played for a tie vs Michigan State in 1966 instead of trying to win the game.
    (2) They refused to play in bowl games, until the AP & UPI began deferring their final votes until after the bowls were played.
    (3) They browbeat the BCS into granting them special dispensation.

Nonetheless, welcome!
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

My respect for Notre Dame as a team comes from the 70's and 80's.
    Coach Bear Bryant was never able to get the best of Notre Dame.
    Coach Ray Perkins did get one win in the series so we felt somewhat vindicated.
    Anyway...... now is the time for a little payback.

ROLL TIDE!!
    ....."The price of victory is high but so are the rewards"....
    Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Welcome to the board....I'm curious how ND fans see the following matchups:
    1. Bama's OL against ND's DL & LB's
    2. Bama's WR's against ND's secondary
    3. Bama's Defensive schemes against a RS Freshman QB
    4. Bama's overall team speed against ND's team speed
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by athlete37 View Post
    1) Notre Dame is not in a conference because they want schedule flexibility and to hold on to the slipping notion that we are still "the best".
    I agree and I'd like to add this, as well: Notre Dame recruits nationally, and therefore seeks maximum scheduling flexibility so that they can expand into parts of the country where they want to recruit more heavily. Playing on the west coast against USC, then on the east coast by playing Boston College and Wake Forest gives them more exposure and greater access to top prospects from those regions.

A rigid conference schedule limits this flexibility and makes Notre Dame fit fewer marquee-type games into their schedule.

One thing I've always admired and respected about Notre Dame football is that they aren't scared of scheduling anyone if it fits their recruiting strategy and increases their exposure. As a case in point, Notre Dame scheduled Tennessee at the peak of its strength, playing two difficult games against Phatso's Vols in 1999 and 2001.

As long as it fits their purpose and the rewards are right, Notre Dame will play anybody, anywhere. A lot like Alabama under Nick Saban. He always wants at least one marquee game against a top program, and the venue is always in a place he wants to recruit.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    They think they can stop the run with seven which will allow safety support to nullify Cooper and Golson is a Manziel clone.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    They think they can stop the run with seven which will allow safety support to nullify Cooper and Golson is a Manziel clone.
    Wonder why the Heisman Committee didn't see that?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I mean, I get some of their talking points.

1) They have done a good job this year of containing the run without heavy safety support which has allowed them to protect their relative weakness in the defensive secondary.

2) In terms of pure athletic ability, Golson is a similar quarterback to Manziel.

The problem is that I don't think they've played a team that has the offensive balance of Alabama. Oklahoma may have ran all over Texas a few weeks prior to the Notre Dame but they haven't been a physical team over the last several years. They lean heavily towards the pass and use the run mainly as a constraint play to the defense. Stanford is the best rush offense they played all season but Nunes was a lame duck at quarterback and gave Stanford hardly any balance. Alabama is the first and only team they've played that can both run effectively and attack their secondary with the deep pass.

Golson is an athlete but he has only ascended to passable at quarterback at the back end of their schedule when they played no one of great quality. USC ended up being a bust and Notre Dame effectively didn't play a good team since Oklahoma in late October. He's shown issues with decision making against their best opponents and he has a tendency to make poor throws (either sailing or one-hopping throws). He is a threat we must respect but he's hardly the efficient passing threat Manziel had been all season for TAMU. Ultimately, Manziel beat us with picture perfect throws not his feet. His ability to run may have affected coverage but he was simply putting balls on the dime all day against us.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    1. I'm scared of this match-up and it will likely determine the game. Stepfan Taylor had some success against us. I'd like to say that the Pitt game was an outlier in terms of our rush defense because Louis Nix means so much to us. I think Lacy and Yeldon can have some success on the edges, and hopefully ND can mitigate the damage from those types of runs.

2. Our secondary is better than people give it credit for. Jackson and Russell were often left in single coverage with Marquise Lee and Robert Woods, who may be the best two receivers in college football. They kept with them fairly well. I've heard that Cooper is an absolute stud though.

3. This scares me a lot too, mostly because I think he is going to get light up a few times. He's been knocked out of a few games and from the Bama games I've seen, you guys hit like freight trains. Earlier in the year he had a lot of trouble with the playbook. I think he's progressed a little bit, but would still mark Milliner down for a pick. I think you'll find that our run game can be stifled. Michigan and Purdue did it, and Stanford's defense battered us around pretty good. Golic's kid has improved a lot over the course of the year, so I am hoping that we're able to generate some sort of run game because we will want to shorten the clock.

4. Our defensive speed is not an issue like it once was. Our offense isn't really built on burners though. Cierre Wood has some speed and our third back is the fastest Sophomore in the country, but I don't think our speed in general will threaten your defense. We will have to establish drives.

With that being said, I think Bama's ability to run and stifle our run will be the huge key to the game. The ground game performance against George was downright scary. I'm hoping we force a fumble or two.

Quote Originally Posted by athlete37 View Post
    1. I'm scared of this match-up and it will likely determine the game. Stepfan Taylor had some success against us. I'd like to say that the Pitt game was an outlier in terms of our rush defense because Louis Nix means so much to us. I think Lacy and Yeldon can have some success on the edges, and hopefully ND can mitigate the damage from those types of runs.

2. Our secondary is better than people give it credit for. Jackson and Russell were often left in single coverage with Marquise Lee and Robert Woods, who may be the best two receivers in college football. They kept with them fairly well. I've heard that Cooper is an absolute stud though.

3. This scares me a lot too, mostly because I think he is going to get light up a few times. He's been knocked out of a few games and from the Bama games I've seen, you guys hit like freight trains. Earlier in the year he had a lot of trouble with the playbook. I think he's progressed a little bit, but would still mark Milliner down for a pick. I think you'll find that our run game can be stifled. Michigan and Purdue did it, and Stanford's defense battered us around pretty good. Golic's kid has improved a lot over the course of the year, so I am hoping that we're able to generate some sort of run game because we will want to shorten the clock.

4. Our defensive speed is not an issue like it once was. Our offense isn't really built on burners though. Cierre Wood has some speed and our third back is the fastest Sophomore in the country, but I don't think our speed in general will threaten your defense. We will have to establish drives.

With that being said, I think Bama's ability to run and stifle our run will be the huge key to the game. The ground game performance against George was downright scary. I'm hoping we force a fumble or two.
    That's interesting. When I looked at the SECCG a couple of days ago, I was a bit alarmed at the yardage UGA was able to generate right through the middle. We're not used to seeing that. Of course, a lot of it happened while big Jesse was out. When you have a guy who's 6'4", 320 lb, come in and double at fullback on short yardage, you're going to miss him him on defense in the 3-4...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Also, Earle, that young back Gurley is a special talent.

As rgw has alluded to, ND likes to stop the run with primarily their front seven. I hope they try that. With our OL, TE, and H-back, I like our chances to "put a hat on a hat" and run VERY effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    Also, Earle, that young back Gurley is a special talent.

As rgw has alluded to, ND likes to stop the run with primarily their front seven. I hope they try that. With our OL, TE, and H-back, I like our chances to "put a hat on a hat" and run VERY effectively.
    That's correct. I should have been expecting more out of Gurley. I guess I can pay him the ultimate compliment and say that he could crack our regular rotation...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Seeing how they are 3-4 defense with 2-gap linemen by trade, I expect a bear front alignment where the two DEs and the NT line up over the top of the two guards and center. It's a good way of clogging up the zone blocking up the middle and forcing us to play mostly stretch runs out of base.

That is why I expect use to use a bunch of 3-wide despite the fact going base personnel worked so well against UGA. UGA was playing mostly over/under and even fronts against us even in base. We'll probably have to play 3-wide to keep them from pressing all the linemen on the interior offensive linemen. I could be wrong, but I'm really expecting some like that from ND if we go into base personnel like the SECCG. They don't want what we did to UGA to happen again until next season.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Our power running thrives on north to south gash-type plays. Still, rgw, with the bear front you're suggesting (and I agree - they'd be foolish not to cover up Barrett) I feel really good about hitting the edges with Eddie and TJ. If guys like Vogler and Kelly Johnson can come through when needed I see us being successful.

But anyway, we all want that...