athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Welcome to the board....I'm curious how ND fans see the following matchups:
1. Bama's OL against ND's DL & LB's
2. Bama's WR's against ND's secondary
3. Bama's Defensive schemes against a RS Freshman QB
4. Bama's overall team speed against ND's team speed
1. I'm scared of this match-up and it will likely determine the game. Stepfan Taylor had some success against us. I'd like to say that the Pitt game was an outlier in terms of our rush defense because Louis Nix means so much to us. I think Lacy and Yeldon can have some success on the edges, and hopefully ND can mitigate the damage from those types of runs.

2. Our secondary is better than people give it credit for. Jackson and Russell were often left in single coverage with Marquise Lee and Robert Woods, who may be the best two receivers in college football. They kept with them fairly well. I've heard that Cooper is an absolute stud though.

3. This scares me a lot too, mostly because I think he is going to get light up a few times. He's been knocked out of a few games and from the Bama games I've seen, you guys hit like freight trains. Earlier in the year he had a lot of trouble with the playbook. I think he's progressed a little bit, but would still mark Milliner down for a pick. I think you'll find that our run game can be stifled. Michigan and Purdue did it, and Stanford's defense battered us around pretty good. Golic's kid has improved a lot over the course of the year, so I am hoping that we're able to generate some sort of run game because we will want to shorten the clock.

4. Our defensive speed is not an issue like it once was. Our offense isn't really built on burners though. Cierre Wood has some speed and our third back is the fastest Sophomore in the country, but I don't think our speed in general will threaten your defense. We will have to establish drives.

With that being said, I think Bama's ability to run and stifle our run will be the huge key to the game. The ground game performance against George was downright scary. I'm hoping we force a fumble or two.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
1. I'm scared of this match-up and it will likely determine the game. Stepfan Taylor had some success against us. I'd like to say that the Pitt game was an outlier in terms of our rush defense because Louis Nix means so much to us. I think Lacy and Yeldon can have some success on the edges, and hopefully ND can mitigate the damage from those types of runs.

2. Our secondary is better than people give it credit for. Jackson and Russell were often left in single coverage with Marquise Lee and Robert Woods, who may be the best two receivers in college football. They kept with them fairly well. I've heard that Cooper is an absolute stud though.

3. This scares me a lot too, mostly because I think he is going to get light up a few times. He's been knocked out of a few games and from the Bama games I've seen, you guys hit like freight trains. Earlier in the year he had a lot of trouble with the playbook. I think he's progressed a little bit, but would still mark Milliner down for a pick. I think you'll find that our run game can be stifled. Michigan and Purdue did it, and Stanford's defense battered us around pretty good. Golic's kid has improved a lot over the course of the year, so I am hoping that we're able to generate some sort of run game because we will want to shorten the clock.

4. Our defensive speed is not an issue like it once was. Our offense isn't really built on burners though. Cierre Wood has some speed and our third back is the fastest Sophomore in the country, but I don't think our speed in general will threaten your defense. We will have to establish drives.

With that being said, I think Bama's ability to run and stifle our run will be the huge key to the game. The ground game performance against George was downright scary. I'm hoping we force a fumble or two.
That's interesting. When I looked at the SECCG a couple of days ago, I was a bit alarmed at the yardage UGA was able to generate right through the middle. We're not used to seeing that. Of course, a lot of it happened while big Jesse was out. When you have a guy who's 6'4", 320 lb, come in and double at fullback on short yardage, you're going to miss him him on defense in the 3-4...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Also, Earle, that young back Gurley is a special talent.

As rgw has alluded to, ND likes to stop the run with primarily their front seven. I hope they try that. With our OL, TE, and H-back, I like our chances to "put a hat on a hat" and run VERY effectively.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Also, Earle, that young back Gurley is a special talent.

As rgw has alluded to, ND likes to stop the run with primarily their front seven. I hope they try that. With our OL, TE, and H-back, I like our chances to "put a hat on a hat" and run VERY effectively.
That's correct. I should have been expecting more out of Gurley. I guess I can pay him the ultimate compliment and say that he could crack our regular rotation... :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seeing how they are 3-4 defense with 2-gap linemen by trade, I expect a bear front alignment where the two DEs and the NT line up over the top of the two guards and center. It's a good way of clogging up the zone blocking up the middle and forcing us to play mostly stretch runs out of base.

That is why I expect use to use a bunch of 3-wide despite the fact going base personnel worked so well against UGA. UGA was playing mostly over/under and even fronts against us even in base. We'll probably have to play 3-wide to keep them from pressing all the linemen on the interior offensive linemen. I could be wrong, but I'm really expecting some like that from ND if we go into base personnel like the SECCG. They don't want what we did to UGA to happen again until next season.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Our power running thrives on north to south gash-type plays. Still, rgw, with the bear front you're suggesting (and I agree - they'd be foolish not to cover up Barrett) I feel really good about hitting the edges with Eddie and TJ. If guys like Vogler and Kelly Johnson can come through when needed I see us being successful.

But anyway, we all want that...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I like the 3 WR set you discuss. That will keep them honest, not bunched up, and spread a little more out.

This is a formation in which OJ Howard will be valuable in years to come.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
3-wide will keep them in either okie or even front with a bet on a lot of okie (where the NT plays over the center). I really think they are going to try to attack Barrett Jones with a lot of zero tech. Either way, when we bunch tight it allows them to pack the line inside and clog up the interior. When we spread, it gets an LB off the field and, probably more importantly, keeps them in a front where the double-team concepts of zone can work more effectively.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.