Another ND Fan Impressed By Bama Fans

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Hi everyone and thanks for allowing me to join your board. I have read opponents' boards throughout the year and have eventually ended up looking away each week. I was not very impressed with the quality of intelligence or football knowledge of most fans. I have to say that I have enjoyed reading your board the past couple of weeks. I am impressed with both the obvious intelligence (grammatically) and elevated knowledge of conceptual football and history. While I hope selfishly that most of your predictions are wrong, I have been able to take a lot from this site as opposed to reading ignorant articles by the media.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Hi everyone and thanks for allowing me to join your board. I have read opponents' boards throughout the year and have eventually ended up looking away each week. I was not very impressed with the quality of intelligence or football knowledge of most fans. I have to say that I have enjoyed reading your board the past couple of weeks. I am impressed with both the obvious intelligence (grammatically) and elevated knowledge of conceptual football and history. While I hope selfishly that most of your predictions are wrong, I have been able to take a lot from this site as opposed to reading ignorant articles by the media.

So you had us Bammers stereotyped?

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Welcome to the best Alabama board there is. Most of the posters here are very polite and knowledgeable when it comes to sports in general. All the posters are courteous and we welcome your input. The staff here prides itself on being a family board and they do an excellent job in keeping it that way.

Some here are suffering from opposing fan fatigue, having visited some Irish boards. As soon as you prove you aren't the stereotypical message board moron your stay here will be much greater.

Good luck on the injury front in the game, but i hope we come out on top.

From my phone with Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I like to think we have the cream here. At least, we try to maintain that type of forum. Like all teams with large numbers of fans, you'll find the whole spectrum of Bama fans. (Finebaum is not the whole spectrum - that's rigged for humor, humor of the lowest sort.) I've lived in NYC among millions of ND fans, subway and otherwise and, I've seen the entire spectrum of ND fans. (I'm a Bama/NYU grad.) Both fan bases have been accused of arrogance, probably with some justice. (Come to think of it, I think everyone in NYC who wasn't Jewish was a ND fan... :D)

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
I like to think we have the cream here. At least, we try to maintain that type of forum. Like all teams with large numbers of fans, you'll find the whole spectrum of Bama fans. (Finebaum is not the whole spectrum - that's rigged for humor, humor of the lowest sort.) I've lived in NYC among millions of ND fans, subway and otherwise and, I've seen the entire spectrum of ND fans. (I'm a Bama/NYU grad.) Both fan bases have been accused of arrogance, probably with some justice. (Come to think of it, I think everyone in NYC who wasn't Jewish was a ND fan... :D)
When I said I wasn't impressed with other boards, I meant boards from other teams throughout the year. This is the only Bama board I've found access to, so my positive impression of Bama fans has been entirely formed by this site. Sorry if I wasn't too clear about that. Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to discussion for the next few weeks.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
athlete37, I have a few questions. These may come off as an "attack" but that is not my intention. I'm just curious as to how a typical Notre Dame fan thinks.
1) Why is Notre Dame not in a conference?
2) Do you think us "Southerners" still use dial-up, all live in trailer parks, commonly participate in unruly things with our relatives? You know, typical stereotypes.
3) Do you hold it against us that we have FCS opponents on our schedule?
4) Do you have a hard time understanding why rival SEC teams/fans will root for us in the BCSNCG?

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Seems that way... Funny.
You'd be surprised looking at the Oklahoma boards... I think my comment speaks for the American population in general, but I was pretty surprised at the lack of simple English skills when viewing their board as well as others.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
athlete37, I have a few questions. These may come off as an "attack" but that is not my intention. I'm just curious as to how a typical Notre Dame fan thinks.
1) Why is Notre Dame not in a conference?
2) Do you think us "Southerners" still use dial-up, all live in trailer parks, commonly participate in unruly things with our relatives? You know, typical stereotypes.
3) Do you hold it against us that we have FCS opponents on our schedule?
4) Do you have a hard time understanding why rival SEC teams/fans will root for us in the BCSNCG?
1) Notre Dame is not in a conference because they want schedule flexibility and to hold on to the slipping notion that we are still "the best".
2) No, I absolutely don't think that.
3) I am not a fan of scheduling FCS opponents, but realize the SEC gauntlet is brutal. Our basketball team has seen it's share of brutal Big East gauntlets, and every year we schedule way too many opponents that aren't in the top 200 RPI.
4) No. I root for USC when they play Big Ten teams (especially Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, other teams we don't play). They had a string of Rose Bowl blowouts that made us look better after we had a few 30+ pt. losses at their hands

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Welcome to the board! This is a great place.

I think the key to getting respect on this board is not representing anyone's sense of entitlement. I believe both teams fought and won their way to this game and I think it will be a good one. Most of the Bama fans understand this also and know a tough schedule with great players/coaching is what got us here. Just like ND.

Good luck. It will be one for the ages.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Like many older 'Bama fans, my dislike of ND is threefold:

(1) They played for a tie vs Michigan State in 1966 instead of trying to win the game.
(2) They refused to play in bowl games, until the AP & UPI began deferring their final votes until after the bowls were played.
(3) They browbeat the BCS into granting them special dispensation.

Nonetheless, welcome!

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
My respect for Notre Dame as a team comes from the 70's and 80's.
Coach Bear Bryant was never able to get the best of Notre Dame.
Coach Ray Perkins did get one win in the series so we felt somewhat vindicated.
Anyway...... now is the time for a little payback.

:biggrin:

ROLL TIDE!!

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Welcome to the board....I'm curious how ND fans see the following matchups:
1. Bama's OL against ND's DL & LB's
2. Bama's WR's against ND's secondary
3. Bama's Defensive schemes against a RS Freshman QB
4. Bama's overall team speed against ND's team speed

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
1) Notre Dame is not in a conference because they want schedule flexibility and to hold on to the slipping notion that we are still "the best".
I agree and I'd like to add this, as well: Notre Dame recruits nationally, and therefore seeks maximum scheduling flexibility so that they can expand into parts of the country where they want to recruit more heavily. Playing on the west coast against USC, then on the east coast by playing Boston College and Wake Forest gives them more exposure and greater access to top prospects from those regions.

A rigid conference schedule limits this flexibility and makes Notre Dame fit fewer marquee-type games into their schedule.

One thing I've always admired and respected about Notre Dame football is that they aren't scared of scheduling anyone if it fits their recruiting strategy and increases their exposure. As a case in point, Notre Dame scheduled Tennessee at the peak of its strength, playing two difficult games against Phatso's Vols in 1999 and 2001.

As long as it fits their purpose and the rewards are right, Notre Dame will play anybody, anywhere. A lot like Alabama under Nick Saban. He always wants at least one marquee game against a top program, and the venue is always in a place he wants to recruit.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Welcome to the board....I'm curious how ND fans see the following matchups:
1. Bama's OL against ND's DL & LB's
2. Bama's WR's against ND's secondary
3. Bama's Defensive schemes against a RS Freshman QB
4. Bama's overall team speed against ND's team speed
They think they can stop the run with seven which will allow safety support to nullify Cooper and Golson is a Manziel clone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, I get some of their talking points.

1) They have done a good job this year of containing the run without heavy safety support which has allowed them to protect their relative weakness in the defensive secondary.

2) In terms of pure athletic ability, Golson is a similar quarterback to Manziel.

The problem is that I don't think they've played a team that has the offensive balance of Alabama. Oklahoma may have ran all over Texas a few weeks prior to the Notre Dame but they haven't been a physical team over the last several years. They lean heavily towards the pass and use the run mainly as a constraint play to the defense. Stanford is the best rush offense they played all season but Nunes was a lame duck at quarterback and gave Stanford hardly any balance. Alabama is the first and only team they've played that can both run effectively and attack their secondary with the deep pass.

Golson is an athlete but he has only ascended to passable at quarterback at the back end of their schedule when they played no one of great quality. USC ended up being a bust and Notre Dame effectively didn't play a good team since Oklahoma in late October. He's shown issues with decision making against their best opponents and he has a tendency to make poor throws (either sailing or one-hopping throws). He is a threat we must respect but he's hardly the efficient passing threat Manziel had been all season for TAMU. Ultimately, Manziel beat us with picture perfect throws not his feet. His ability to run may have affected coverage but he was simply putting balls on the dime all day against us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.