Phil Steele's Toughest Schedules

Didn't we play LSU on Monday last year?

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Phil Steele's Toughest Schedules

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Didn't we play LSU on Monday last year?
    Yes, but it has not always been that way.

Here are the dates of the BCS title game from years past...

Monday, January 4, 1999
    Tuesday, January 4, 2000
    Wednesday, January 3, 2001
    Thursday, January 3, 2002
    Friday, January 3, 2003
    Sunday, January 4, 2004
    Tuesday, January 4, 2005
    Wednesday, January 4, 2006
    Monday, January 8, 2007
    Monday, January 7, 2008
    Thursday, January 8, 2009
    Thursday, January 7, 2010
    Monday, January 10, 2011
    Monday, January 9, 2012
    Last edited by RTR91; December 17th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Yes, but it has not always been that way.

Here are the dates of the BCS title game from years past...

Monday, January 4, 1999
    Tuesday, January 4, 2000
    Wednesday, January 3, 2001
    Thursday, January 3, 2002
    Friday, January 3, 2003
    Sunday, January 4, 2004
    Tuesday, January 4, 2005
    Wednesday, January 4, 2006
    Monday, January 8, 2007
    Monday, January 7, 2008
    Thursday, January 8, 2009
    Thursday, January 7, 2010
    Monday, January 10, 2011
    Monday, January 9, 2012
    My bad, more times than not.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    My bad, more times than not.
    What amazed me when I was looking through the dates was the way the dates varied. There was no standard "first [insert day of week here] of January" type of thing.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

One thing I've thought about Alabama and Notre Dame's schedules, yes, ND's is stronger BUT they really haven't played a great team since the end of October. From the last week of October through the SECCG, Alabama played a good team (MSU) and three great teams (LSU, TAMU, and UGA). Truly, Notre Dame's schedule ended up being a lot of teams around MSU's caliber or a little better then Stanford and Oklahoma. They only played one decent team between OU and the BCSCG, and they didn't even catch their best effort (no Barkley for Southern Cal).

I think the thought by some picking ND that they are more battle tested may not be exactly on point. Alabama got hardened over the final stretch while Notre Dame was mentally on cruise control heading into the Southern Cal game and almost got tripped up.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    One thing I've thought about Alabama and Notre Dame's schedules, yes, ND's is stronger BUT they really haven't played a great team since the end of October. From the last week of October through the SECCG, Alabama played a good team (MSU) and three great teams (LSU, TAMU, and UGA). Truly, Notre Dame's schedule ended up being a lot of teams around MSU's caliber or a little better then Stanford and Oklahoma. They only played one decent team between OU and the BCSCG, and they didn't even catch their best effort (no Barkley for Southern Cal).

I think the thought by some picking ND that they are more battle tested may not be exactly on point. Alabama got hardened over the final stretch while Notre Dame was mentally on cruise control heading into the Southern Cal game and almost got tripped up.

I hear what you're saying about ND and who they played at the end of the year. I think that is all a wash now because both teams are off for so long until they play each other. To me, the long delay is a BIG advantage to Alabama because Saban knows what type of balance to strike to best prepare his team. This will be the fourth time he is doing it. The delay also gives your center and NG time to heal and be 100%.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree that the layoff kind of nullifies some things but Notre Dame hasn't had to play a perfect game since Oklahoma. I guess what I'm saying is that the layoff is a little more pronounced for Notre Dame. Alabama's last game was a tough game against a high-quality opponent.

Suspended

I'd love to know his other ratings that he uses to calculate his ranking. I think if Auburn were in the Big10 they'd be at least 6-6. Mizzou and Ole Miss would probably be 8-4 or 9-3.

No matter what "power" rating you use you have to make at least an eyeball test of each conferences quality because most losses are going to be in-conference.

What helps ND is playing crappy BCS conference teams while Bama played WCU and the like. Wake is a gimme but looks better than WCU.

If ND's best win is Oklahoma that's fine. Oklahoma would be the 4th best team Bama would have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2 View Post
    To me, the long delay is a BIG advantage to Alabama because Saban knows what type of balance to strike to best prepare his team. This will be the fourth time he is doing it.
    BK has coached in January bowl games before I don't see this being any kind of advantage.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He has twice. His second year at CMU had the most equivalent layoff time too (11/30 - MACCG, 1/6 - International Bowl). He won that game but lost the Orange Bowl to Virginia Tech in the 2008 season at Cincy. Of course, Saban has been a coach at the FBS level much longer than Kelly and has went 6-3 in NYD or later bowls (4-1 in BCS bowls).

Saban has the track record of having his team ready off the long break both in bowl scenarios and these kickoff classic games against a quality opponent to open the season. I don't assume that Kelly can't do the same, we just don't have the sample size to make any real judgements either way. Kelly hasn't ever really had to deal with a layoff where they are the focus of conversation and his players and himself are constantly being asked to speak to quarterback clubs and media folks. I tend to think that part is overblown, the real issue is managing the players so they get dialed in at the right time. If the team is on mental tightropes about the game too early, they tend to get psyched out.

Saban has perfected his approach but it may not work for everyone and it doesn't guarantee victory either. He likes having a few practices before Christmas, where they do nothing but "camp like" drills. A few more practices after before NYD where it is also a "camp like" atmosphere with a little game prep. Then they use the rest of the practice time to game prep. They try to keep things the same...don't make it a game prep atmosphere until as late as possible.

BamaNation Second Team NiteyNight's Avatar

Didn't Kelly actually leave Cincy to go to Notre Dame before he had a chance to coach the Orange bowl?

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by NiteyNight View Post
    Didn't Kelly actually leave Cincy to go to Notre Dame before he had a chance to coach the Orange bowl?

That is correct, not very loyal but most of them will do this. Saban did the same to MSU when he left them to become the HC at LSU.