Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Re: Phil Steele's Toughest Schedules

Quote Originally Posted by NiteyNight View Post
    Didn't Kelly actually leave Cincy to go to Notre Dame before he had a chance to coach the Orange bowl?
    That was in 2009 before the Sugar Bowl game with UF. Wasn't the first time he had joined another team before Bowl season. In the 2006 season, BK coached against Western Michigan twice in a two month period at two different schools. On 11/10/2006 as coach at CMU and on 01/07/2007 in the International Bowl as coach at Cincinnati.
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 18th, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Notre Dame has the 10th hardest schedule and has played:

6. Stanford
    11. Oklahoma
    18. Michigan

Alabama has the 37th hardest schedule and has played:

7. Georgia
    8. LSU
    9. Texas A&M
    18. Michigan

Notre Dame gets the benefit of the doubt because they played a TON of 6-6 & 7-5 teams that didn't bring their schedule down. Because they're not in a conference they didn't get stuck with teams like 3-9 Auburn, 4-8 Arkansas, 5-7 Missouri, and 5-7 Tennessee.

Our schedule was more top heavy while they basically got to play Ole Miss 6 different times.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Quote Originally Posted by NDGiantsKings View Post
    BK has coached in January bowl games before I don't see this being any kind of advantage.
    but saban has played in the big game 4 times before. that's a whole different beast for which to prepare.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    but saban has played in the big game 4 times before. that's a whole different beast for which to prepare.
    Why?

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Why?
    When Saban looks at the NCG as a normal routine and Kelly looks at it like a 5 year old in a candy store, there's a difference.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Why?
    NC game is the big stage with lots of week long hoop la. Lots of distractions for coaches and players.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    When Saban looks at the NCG as a normal routine and Kelly looks at it like a 5 year old in a candy store, there's a difference.
    BK is in his 22nd year as a head coach I highly doubt anything is like a kid in a candy store for him.

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

22nd year, first in the National Title game?
    Coaching Advantage?Check!
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, people forget that Kelly wasn't some "fast riser" who coached at the MAC then Big East levels for a few years before landing a huge job. This guy spent a long portion of his career in Division II. He definitely earned his dues and has seen a lot more football than many realize. The bowl season is a unique animal though. His real experience in a championship season is a week-to-week build up and release you see in the playoff system which is more akin to regular season football. The vast majority of the bowl experience he has is in those tiers of bowls where win or lose it was really about the paycheck and extra practices. He's only played in one bowl where there was a modicum of stakes behind the name (the Orange Bowl against VT).

On one hand, I don't doubt Kelly as a guy who truly earned his way up the ranks of coaching and figure he can handle it just fine. On the other, it is hard to deny that the bowl championship model is one of the oddest title game structures in sports. It does seem to claim many good teams to it's build up in hype, mental rust, and physical rust.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    22nd year, first in the National Title game?
    Coaching Advantage?Check!
    Coached in three-straight DII finals over in Florence, Alabama in the early 2000s. He went 2-1 in such games.