Jimmy Clausen Designed T-Shirt "Catholics Vs. Cousins" Is Really Low Class

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
First time poster, obviously. I am a Notre Dame fan who posts on IrishEnvy.com. I joined the site one night after drinking about 6 beers while checking on Bama fans thoughts re: Monday night. The next morning I thought "why did I join, I'm never going to post." Well, here I am.

Anyway, Some people think the shirt was funny and no harm, no foul. I mean there really isn't any "harm", but the shirt isn't even funny---its corny. Im guessing you all know the shirt stems from the Catholics vs Convicts shirt from back when ND played Miami, when BOTH teams were actually playing for NCs. The "Convicts" was a shot at the TEAM (not the fan base) because of their bad boy image that they embraced (See ESPN 30 on 30: The U). Then came Catholics vs. Criminoles in '93 which I thought was funny because I was in 6th or 7th grade. So this Catholics vs Cousins seems to be a shot at all Alabamans(?)(whether or not they are fans of the Tide) and not the team itself, which is dumb and illogical. Any other "Catholics vs x" should just stop.

Plus, the stereotype isnt funny. My dad is from West Virginia and trust me, he hates it that same stereotype. And one thing, as me being a Catholic, No need to be associated with that foolishness. Who would throw that shirt and walk around proud? Prob the same dude who wears Big Johnson T-shirts (which actually were comical when I was young).
Great post!

Re: Jimmy Clausen Designed T-Shirt "Catholics Vs. Cousins" Is Really Low Class

As a Catholic from Alabama, I find this classless!
Perhaps mr. Clausen is one of those "faux" Catholics that his school NOtre Dame has become known for!
Nick Saban is Catholic I just learned not long ago! Makes me like him even more!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As a Catholic from Alabama, I find this classless!
Perhaps mr. Clausen is one of those "faux" Catholics that his school NOtre Dame has become known for!
Nick Saban is Catholic I just learned not long ago! Makes me like him even more!
I think he attends Mass every day...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Thought one of the comments from a fan was funny when he said not to get mad if Bama won and they turned around and printed:

“Hail Mary full of grace,
Notre Dame’s in second place.”

wow Im really impressed! here is a little story I heard on EWTN where the women's assistant softball coach told about her being Catholic and the story on how she said she prayed about a girl who was having a hard time and her prayer was answered for the girl and she told about seeing Saban at St. Francis every Sunday at 9am Mass. I loved that little church when I walked over the campus in the 75th Iron bowl game. They asked her about playing a catholic university and she said I know but Our lady Mary is an Alabama fan!
I pray to St. Sebastion, the patron saint of athletes, for Bama and Saban. I feel my prayer was answered when I asked St. Sebastion for intercesion on the last BCS game aganist LSU , then against them again this year and against Georgia! So why should I stop now for the upcoming game even though it is against a Catholic school ( well, as I said before "catholic in name only" school) although I know there are some serious about their faith at that school.
St. Sebastion, pray for BamaNation!

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Notre Dame ought to ask Saint Jude for intercession, they'll need it.

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009

The t-shirt and the comments that followed are offensive. I am so weary of the inbred and IQ comments from this fanbase and others. I don't know if it is just my interpretation of this particular game or not, but the insults seem worse to me this year than past championship years. Also, I am tired of seeing who ESPN choose from Youtube to represent Alabama fans (familes that were all overweight w/extreme dialects or the fan with mullet hair, etc...) that they play over and over. Why don't they show the students on the campus reaction after we won the SEC game? Also, following the SEC game, the show UNITE on ESPNU had one of the two hosts dressed up like an Alabama fan who was barefoot with no shoes, rolled up jeans, mullet hair, etc... I had never seen the show, but it was so insulting that I have not watched it again. Oh well...I guess I am just ready for the stereotypes of the South to be over.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

Nothing will probably stop it but a beat down on monday will maybe stop some of it. Its like the old saying,The beatings will continue untill the attitude improves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.