Jimmy Clausen Designed T-Shirt "Catholics Vs. Cousins" Is Really Low Class

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Re: Jimmy Clausen Designed T-Shirt "Catholics Vs. Cousins" Is Really Low Class

How does this take into account Bama fans that are catholic?
Don't be silly. According to Notre Dame, all Catholics are ND fans. Any one else isn't a true Catholic ;p

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

'Red Shirts vs Rapists'?

swamptroll

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007

Crimson Tide vs the Frightened Irish

pensacolabay

Nov 29, 2012
Atlanta

You should know that Clausen's poor humor was strongly disapproved of on NDNation as it should have been. Most ND fans are weary of this stereotypical joking humor and the "Catholics vs Convict" T shirt that was so original in the 80's vs Miami has become offensive even to ND fans.
Notre Dame has a very large contingent of Southerners as students and graduates. My hometown is Pensacola and I am one of many fans who strongly dislike the slurring of our special place in the USA no matter where it originates. When the Country has a crisis, when there is a call to defend her, Southerners are the first to stand up and the last to stand down.

Please don't judge us by a few thoughtless adrenalin fueled zealots. Most ND grads and fans are respectful of all of our opponents. I am sure you may have occasionally been embarrassed by some of your own fans as well. They are not the measure of any University or its fan base.

We all have our Fans, after all the term is an abbreviation of Fanatic and it is what makes college football the sport that it is.

Remember, just because it is on the Internet, that doesn't make it so!

jdhogg

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2009
HOMEWOOD

Won't they be surprised when we show up in street clothes and most of us wearing shoes.
I'm sure part of their informed fans expect to see the 'Beverly Hillbillies' come rolling into Miami.
This happens everytime i travel to an OOC away game (bowl game, neutral site, regular season OOC). Plenty of the opposing fans think that we're all inbred hillbillies so they originally have this "superior" attitude. Once they see we're normal people and see how attractive the female bama students are, they get jealous.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn

It's a shame that on a thread that started out expressing displeasure over the use of the word Cousins, spiraled downward with retorts of Pedophiles and Rapists, as well as Homosexual inuendo. Seems more a validation of Clausen's claim rather than a challenge. We can do better I believe.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA

Isn't Jimmy Clausen the dude that showed up to his ND signing day event in a stretch limo, touting he was going to win 4 national championships?

Yeah ... Jimmy. You so silly.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It's a shame that on a thread that started out expressing displeasure over the use of the word Cousins, spiraled downward with retorts of Pedophiles and Rapists, as well as Homosexual inuendo. Seems more a validation of Clausen's claim rather than a challenge. We can do better I believe.
That's the problem with insulting a particular group to begin with. Once someone takes friendly competition to a personal level they open up a can of worms they probably didn't want to open.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Beautiful set of lowlights...
It looks a bit like the ND lineman had no interest in keeping Clausen upright in that footage. Wonder if that was a problem with the OL or if the OL had a problem with Clausen.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

Catholics are on real thin ice when it comes to stereotyped sexual proclivities.

I've also seen Golden Domers vs. Mobile Homers
I don't know if anyone has stated this yet,as I haven't read the whole thread. But, Bama fought back with a classless one of their own. Pedophiles Vs. Pachyderms.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

The only difference between Notre Dame and Alabama is that in addition to their normal fans base from Indiana, Alumni and some band wagoner's that they have a large group that are fans by association or default but couldn't name the starting quarterback to save their lives.

Any non service academy veteran can identify with this fan group when the service academy's play. It's fun, but you don't get angry when your team loses.

So to be honest, as a Catholic, 99.5% are fair weathered fans.

ND1976

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2012

it's not even clever either. the insinuation is really "irish v. inbreds" but "catholics v. cousins" just doesn't make any sense. and i guess the folks in south bend are unaware of the fact that the second coming of the klan was in states like indiana and was specifically focused on immigrants like catholics and others from southern and eastern europe. and as others have stated, with all that's gone on in the catholic church recently, the irish need to tread a bit more cautiously when making fun of others' perceived moral shortcomings.
It certainly is low class. Jimmy Clausen is not smart enough to have designed it himself; just low class enough to wear it.

ND is a national university that happens to be located in South Bend. It is not really an Indiana university any more than the USMA is a New York university or the USNA is a Maryland university.

Here is an interesting book about ND students running the Klan out of South Bend.

http://www.amazon.com/Notre-Dame-Vs-Klan-Fighting/dp/0829417710

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.