Link: Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There was an interview a short while back where Coach Saban was saying that he had offers from elsewhere at the end of last season.

He explained that he talked to Terry and she said.."If you're thinking about going because you want to win a Super Bowl you're going for the wrong reasons". Coach accordingly told his agent to inform the teams making inquiries that he wasn't interested.

I think it's very important to Coach Saban that he feels his coaching of players makes a positive difference in their development as people.

That's very difficult to do in the pro's as he experienced first hand in Miami.

Even more important I think is that Terry likes Nick making a difference in the lives of young people. And I think she's very happy in T-Town. More times than not what Mama wants is what Mama gets.

I honestly think he said, "happy here right now" just so he couldn't possibly be called "a liar" by the media if something did come up to make him choose to leave in the future. Just covering his bases.

At any rate I'm just glad he's here. I honestly believe he thinks he can break the record of six national titles by one coach and I think he'll retire once that goal is achieved.

Who knows? Absolutely no one but Nick and Terry Saban. I just appreciate him very much and "right now"...I just want him to kick Notre Dame's butt.

sip

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He was at LSWHO for 5 years and won 2 SEC championships and won 1 BCS championship with 1 appearance so while I think he would have won a lot on a consistent basis I don't see him winning like we have over the last 4 years.
To play devil's advocate, his success at LSU helped bring in those early recruiting classes at Alabama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not so sure about that.
I see where you're coming from Tide Engineer and I agree. LSU is in the absolute perfect recruiting location. Adjoining Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, close to Mobile and a stones throw from Florida.

Had Coach Saban stayed there they might possibly have won every national title since 2003.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I see where you're coming from Tide Engineer and I agree. LSU is in the absolute perfect recruiting location. Adjoining Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, close to Mobile and a stones throw from Florida.

Had Coach Saban stayed there they might possibly have won every national title since 2003.
Look at the talent level of those teams immediately following his departure. They could have easily won every one from 2005-2007.

Goodness... look at the success Les Miles has had down there. Switch Saban back in at LSU, and you remove the behemoth that we've become... LSU owns this division and the SEC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU stumbled a bit in 2004. Randall was just a poor QB for them. They could have won at least conference title in 2002 if not for Mauck getting hurt and forcing Randall onto the field.

I think the 2005 team would have probably won a title with Saban which is a big reason why Les had such a mild relationship with LSU fans early on...they thought that team should have won a title that very year. LSU with a matured Saban-led program from 2005 through 2007 could have been a terror.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
LSU stumbled a bit in 2004. Randall was just a poor QB for them. They could have won a title conference title in 2002 if not for Mauck getting hurt and forcing Randall onto the field.

I think the 2005 team would have probably won a title with Saban which is a big reason why Les had such a mild relationship with LSU fans early on...they thought that team should have won a title that very year. LSU with a matured Saban-led program from 2005 through 2007 could have been a terror.
Agreed. He did a rebuilding job here but he took a disaster there with very little tradition and was on his way to building a juggernaut.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Look at the talent level of those teams immediately following his departure. They could have easily won every one from 2005-2007.

Goodness... look at the success Les Miles has had down there. Switch Saban back in at LSU, and you remove the behemoth that we've become... LSU owns this division and the SEC.
I don't think anyone using common sense could argue that point.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Very classy of Coach Saban to even talk to this guy. Retard uh....LeBartard was one of the most critical when he left Miami. If he had said of me what he said of him, I would not have given him the time of day.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If you actually listen to the audio interview I think you'll agree---Coach Saban's not leaving. He also did an incredible job of mending fences.

I have no idea about Lebartard but there was a mutual respect between all parties involved. That was very good, and YES, Coach has hired a PR director...trust me lol...

He has improved beyond belief.

sip

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LeBatard is much like Paul Finebaum. Though both started as sports journalists, they've transcended that title and have become media personalities. With that said, sometimes they will say some things to get attention or appease the interests at the moment of the audience. Their product is selling the words out of their mouth and sometimes that requires being a bit more edgy than even he realizes is needed.

LeBatard seems to have known that Saban left Miami not out of hate for the city or franchise but because he just didn't fit in the pro game like he thought. Unfortunately, saying that wasn't going to goad people into listening.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

While I agree with everything you have pointed out, my point is at Alabama you have a certain mindset about winning, specifically championships, that you don't have at other schools including LSU. So if the culture does not promote winning and the confidence that goes with it you may not win as many championships at some places even with a HOF coach and great talent IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.