Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

Well, I'm sold officially on CNS staying at Bama. Here's to the rest of his career full of SEC and National Titles!!

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

I can't believe this thread has this many pages.

I thought it was clear that only one thing could make Saban leave Alabama and that was if expectations were too high. In other words, if we don't get all nutty and throw bricks through his window because Alabama doesn't win a national championship, things should be ok in that regard. If we support the team well, and manage expectations, he won't have any reason to leave.

He's built a true legacy at Alabama and he's making history. If he left for another job it would do great harm to his legacy. Also, the simple fact is that he can have a greater impact in college than at the NFL level. Although we hate to think about it, if Nick Saban had to do it over again he probably would have stayed at LSU. He not only "lost", 2005 and 2006, but clearly 2007 at Alabama was a rebuilding year. As I see it, he's making up for lost time. He might enjoy building up a program, but he is 61. Imagine if he went some other place in college and had to compete with two of his creations in Alabama and LSU. He might simply run out of time before he got things on track.

And, the NFL? He left for less money the first time. What's in it for him besides a big wad of cash? He's a great coach, but they have a cap in the NFL, he can't retool a lineup like he can in college. Every move that Nick Saban made, made sense. Each move in college was a step up, and the move to the NFL was seen as a step up. But, Nick Saban realized that what he was best suited for was college and he returned. There's no other step up for Nick Saban, now it's a matter of building on his legacy.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 19th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

It was made clear last season. We just don't want him to go, at least not yet...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    He ended up better off. He would not have reached the level he has here at LSU. He would have won but reaching the BCS title game 3 out of 4 years, I don't think so.
    I disagree. He was king of the jungle at LSU. He had no competition for recruits in state and he had an easier time going into Texas pulling 3-4 Texas boys each year as well. I think if he would have stayed at LSU he'd be banging on his 3rd maybe fourth NC. Louisiana has nothing but talent in that state and almost all of them want to play for LSU.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Tim Brando is now on and he's bashing the media speculation as ridiculous. He is refusing invitations to talk about CNS on Cleveland radio bc of the story it creates.

He said this as well:

"I don't believe - I really DON'T believe - that Saban is even considering it." (It being an NFL move in this context).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Tim Brando is now on and he's bashing the media speculation as ridiculous. He is refusing invitations to talk about CNS on Cleveland radio bc of the story it creates.

He said this as well:

"I don't believe - I really DON'T believe - that Saban is even considering it." (It being an NFL move in this context).
    That's our Tim. He always was able to change sides without a hiccup...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That's our Tim. He always was able to change sides without a hiccup...
    Well to be fair he's been pretty consistent on this one.

He even acknowledged the obvious - if he said Saban would go it would create a ruckus & if he said no it would be "well he's the. CBS college guy so what else would he say?"
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    Finally!!! Can we now make it a rule that if you talk about Coach Saban leaving you're stuck with an Auburn icon?
    Winner!

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

He said this as well:

He may have said that, but only after bashing the Alabama
    fan base and bringing up Quinton Dial.........Again! But he isn't anti Bama, just ask him.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I will stop as far as to say that the media relishes the role of a distractor in situations like the championship game with it's long layoff. The media does relish a good speculation story especially when it's only endgame is the finalization of every NFL coaching vacancy. It's especially interesting to them when the two title game opponents are so particularly boring when it comes to television (at least in ESPN's speciality of 24-hour news coverage). Notre Dame isn't going to shoot off their mouths with trash talk and neither will Alabama. Each coach is so effusive with their praise for the other team that the media can find out more about why Notre Dame is so good by simply speaking to Saban and vice versa. It is a boring matchup in terms of the 24-hr news cycle but Notre Dame's long absence on this kind of stage has at least given them plenty of material in that regard.

Their news on Alabama has basically amounted to: "well, practice has started at Alabama. They're doing the same things they've done the last 4 years for bowl games. The players are saying the same things and I swear Barrett Jones said that about LSU this time last year. Christ, am I in Groundhog Day?" Their only lead for the "Saban to NFL" story are rumors that were attached to a Lombardi fellow who is vying for the Cleveland GM position. I think Finebaum astutely pointed out that these rumors are probably sourced from Lombardi's people in hopes of helping his own chances: "I can get you Saban, hire me." Considering how dull the coverage will be for this game, they'll just run with the possibility of the Saban's potential last game in college football angle.

Like I said, I don't think the intention is to create a distraction. I do think they are just latching on to anything that can keep the news cycle going because neither team is likely to give them any kind of good material to run with until the game is over. Saban isn't going anywhere. I don't see this guy coaching over 6-8 more years and for some reason I doubt he's going to make his last stop something that was a miserable experience for him previously. If he couldn't stand Miami which has one of the best owners in the NFL for coaches, what makes people think he's going to leave Alabama for anything less than Belichick retiring this offseason and personally requesting Saban be his replacement? If Saban is going to leave, he's going to do it knowing he'll probably only have around 8 years left before the family wants him to retire. He isn't going to leave for anything less than "the setup." Why stake his enduring legacy to rebuilding a franchise with no history of having success and none of the built in advantages of college recruiting to level the competitive differences quickly?

See though, he's going to the Browns...where by year 3-4 of his tenure he will have to start thinking about finding a replacement at QB for a guy who isn't even a 5-year pro. Like heck...he wants to go to place with an established QB (so he doesn't have to worry about another Brees-Cullpepper deal blowing up his chances of succeeding) and a good deal of the roster already pretty well put together. How many places like that are open? Maybe the Chargers but they seem due for a roster clean out to clear up their cap space. There just aren't many places that I think he'd leave us for in the NFL. They do exist though. I don't see the Patriots opening up until Brady retires (Belichick will follow). The Cowboys have the roster pieces but I don't think Saban would mesh with Jerry Jones who likes to be involved in personnel decisions.
    Last edited by rgw; December 20th, 2012 at 03:39 AM.

BamaNation First Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar

Saban was asked about this issue during his 12/18 press conference. He shrugged the NFL rumors off as completely unfounded. He also laughed and told the media, "Y'all are asking the wrong person. Miss Terry makes all the decisions about all that stuff, anyway."

Discussion begins at the 7:26 mark.
    http://video.tuscaloosanews.com/video/2044222507001

On a totally different note, he talks about Coach Bryant earlier in the press conference. Fun to hear.

BamaNation Second Team

All this talk about Coach Saban leaving makes me think it is something concocted solely by the media to serve as a distraction from what Alabama is trying to accomplish. In particular, Collin Cowherd made a big deal out of Saban appearing on a "MIAMI" based radio show. My take is that Coach Saban knows that his leaving Miami is going to be a very hot topic since the NCG is being played there,and I believe he is merely trying to put some of the clutter to bed.

The Cowboys have the roster pieces but I don't think Saban would mesh with Jerry Jones who likes to be involved in personnel decisions.
    Jerry made his try last year, along with UT. Coach said "no" to both of them...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus