Link: Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think you can read into CNS's comments almost anything you choose. The statements "I don't think we've got too many moves left in us" and " I don't think it's really fair to leave" aren't all that reassuring to Alabama fans. I just want him to guide Alabama to a win over Notre Dame. After that, if he feels that for personal or professional reasons he needs to move on, I for one would thank him for his many accomplishments at Alabama and wish him the best.
However, in the past, he's said that his next move will be to Lake Burton. "Move" doesn't have to mean to another school or the NFL. In Terry's interview, when she was asked where she wanted to retire, she said "here." The interviewer asked then not Lake Burton. Terry was momentarily nonplussed, but seem to come back to T-Town. I think they'll retire right there in T-Town and keep the lake house for recreation. I'm sure they must have more friends in town there than on the lake, just from the density of population - plus church, which is very important to both of them...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yes he would. Putting personal feelings and angst toward the LSU fanbase (as a whole) aside. He would have won just as much and possibly more. LSU has a monopoly on the state of Louisiana. He would have also continued to cherry pick Alabama talent, Texas and the surrounding area.
I agree BB, we were fortunate with the entire circumstances of events and how it played in our favor. I think there is little doubt that had he not left LSU, they would be the SEC juggernaut.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
according to Colin Cowherd, the interview proves he will leave for the NFL.
- His wife says winning is no longer fun at Bama
- Chip Kelly getting love, Harbaugh and Carroll doing well in the league digs at him
- Goes on Miami radio, apologizes for the way he left. why go on radio in an NFL city?
- More games in the NFL.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry guys but I have it on the authority of three Auburn fans at a poker game this weekend that he's going to the Browns because of all his previous connections there and how winning isn't fun here and that money talks. We're just gonna have to get used to life after Saban.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Here is my new revised thoughts.

Coach Saban is not going anywhere and for that we are truly blessed. He is St. Nick again.
He will coach at least 6 more years, if not more.

*coach Saban will not act on impulses like he once did(the adventure days are over)
*I thought maybe he was getting ready to retire, but obviously he is going to be like Spurrier and let it keep him young.
*His comments were an attempt to be as diplomatic as possible, went way out of his way to not offend the NFL.
*He is still Coach Saban, so comments like a few more moves left, are off the cusp and could mean anything, like # of moves to the office and back.

While Jaworski is a jerk, he demonstrated very well that over the top Bama fans are much more likeable than over the top NFL commentators.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The barners are naturally all over this. They thought they saw something in the works that would help them out tremendously. Saban leaving, and them hiring Smart. Neither is happening, so they are back to wallowing in their misery. Since Saban's arrival, I have heard his name mentioned for job openings every single year around this time. After the 2007 season, the rumor was Saban back to LSU. (That was when it was believed that Miles was taking the then vacant Michigan job) After the 2008 season, the rumors ranged from Clemson to Washington, and a few rumblings about a couple of NFL openings. After the 2009 season, the rumors were Penn State (they thought Joe Pa was about to have to give it up due to health reasons) and of course, some NFL openings. After the 2010 season, the big rumor was Saban to Dallas, with a little bit of rumblings about the San Francisco opening. After the 2011 season, the rumor was Saban to Tampa Bay. And now, it's Cleveland. A lot of extra media pot stirring went in to this one due to his previous ties there, but that's about it. Saban could coach at Bama until he is in his 80's, and still, his name will come up every year about this time.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Another link with more indications that Saban is not leaving for Clevland

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=9761

Over the years, Lombardi has forged relationships in the agent business. One that Lombardi has maintained is with Jimmy Sexton. Sexton happens to be Alabama coach Nick Saban’s agent. This relationship partially explains the Saban-to-Cleveland rumors.

Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. Lombardi is well aware of that, of course. According to a source, Lombardi has gained traction with Haslam by attaching himself to Saban’s coattails.

I have now have had three credible sources – two in the NFL and one in the college ranks – swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to Lombardi. One insisted Saban wouldn’t work with Lombardi “in a thousand years.” Another on Monday said there is “zero chance” Saban would leave Alabama to work alongside Lombardi in Cleveland.

There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns.

Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland. Once Saban left Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., said one source, he has never traveled north of Tennessee.

Sexton and Lombardi could be scratching each other’s backs on the Saban rumors, said one source. The theory is that Lombardi gains stature with the Browns by forwarding this tall tale, and Saban inevitably will gain a new deal with Alabama. The Crimson Tide could and would re-up whatever it takes to keep him, said a source.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
according to Colin Cowherd, the interview proves he will leave for the NFL.
- His wife says winning is no longer fun at Bama
- Chip Kelly getting love, Harbaugh and Carroll doing well in the league digs at him
- Goes on Miami radio, apologizes for the way he left. why go on radio in an NFL city?
- More games in the NFL.
There are times when he really just goes off the deep end with his comments. And some of these espn guys just think the NFL hangs the moon with everyone and how dare anything to do with college football be seen as being better than the NFL.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think he went to Miami and furthermore they probably only landed him on the show because of his friendship with Jason Taylor and the upcoming game in the city.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Wasn't Dan Lebatard the guy that wrote the piece about how overrated Saban was as a coach when he left Miami for Alabama and said he wouldn't win at Alabama either?

I wish somebody could dredge up that brilliant piece of literature.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
The thing that a lot of other people don't understand is that if Saban got up tomorrow and retired, I (and I think the vast majority of Bama fans) would thank him for everything he did here. He is worth every penny we paid him, worth every bit of anguish getting him here, and worth every ounce of hate the national media heaped on him and us when he got here. I expected him to return us to an elite level. However I had no clue this is what he would accomplish. The only thing I couldn't forgive him for is if he would leave here and go to Auburn. But ANYTHING else and I would thank him for his time here and have fond memories. We went from the abyss to the absolute pinnacle in less than 4 yrs. I would say he has done an incredible job. So I'm happy every day he stays here and when he leaves I will be just as glad bc I will know he gave us much more than we had any right to expect.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
Well kiss it AUBIE'S the man you love to hate is not going anywhere!!!! We shall see how well the guss buss works when the Wheels fall off! OH AND THEY WILL !!!!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can't believe this thread has this many pages.

I thought it was clear that only one thing could make Saban leave Alabama and that was if expectations were too high. In other words, if we don't get all nutty and throw bricks through his window because Alabama doesn't win a national championship, things should be ok in that regard. If we support the team well, and manage expectations, he won't have any reason to leave.

He's built a true legacy at Alabama and he's making history. If he left for another job it would do great harm to his legacy. Also, the simple fact is that he can have a greater impact in college than at the NFL level. Although we hate to think about it, if Nick Saban had to do it over again he probably would have stayed at LSU. He not only "lost", 2005 and 2006, but clearly 2007 at Alabama was a rebuilding year. As I see it, he's making up for lost time. He might enjoy building up a program, but he is 61. Imagine if he went some other place in college and had to compete with two of his creations in Alabama and LSU. He might simply run out of time before he got things on track.

And, the NFL? He left for less money the first time. What's in it for him besides a big wad of cash? He's a great coach, but they have a cap in the NFL, he can't retool a lineup like he can in college. Every move that Nick Saban made, made sense. Each move in college was a step up, and the move to the NFL was seen as a step up. But, Nick Saban realized that what he was best suited for was college and he returned. There's no other step up for Nick Saban, now it's a matter of building on his legacy.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He ended up better off. He would not have reached the level he has here at LSU. He would have won but reaching the BCS title game 3 out of 4 years, I don't think so.
I disagree. He was king of the jungle at LSU. He had no competition for recruits in state and he had an easier time going into Texas pulling 3-4 Texas boys each year as well. I think if he would have stayed at LSU he'd be banging on his 3rd maybe fourth NC. Louisiana has nothing but talent in that state and almost all of them want to play for LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.