Link: Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
QUESTION: If Les has a contract guaranteeing that he will be the highest paid coach in the SEC, what would happen if Coach Saban had the same contract?
IANAL, but it's been explained to me that those are 'at X time' clauses. When the coach hits a certain mark (BCSCG win, for example), that kicks in and makes him the highest paid coach at that time, not in perpetuity.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I think you can read into CNS's comments almost anything you choose. The statements "I don't think we've got too many moves left in us" and " I don't think it's really fair to leave" aren't all that reassuring to Alabama fans. I just want him to guide Alabama to a win over Notre Dame. After that, if he feels that for personal or professional reasons he needs to move on, I for one would thank him for his many accomplishments at Alabama and wish him the best.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I think it doesn't matter what he says, how he says, or where he says it at. Their will always be talking about someone going after him or him entertaining offers. The only time anyone will ever listen without doubt is when he says. it's been fun but I'm headed to the lake to watch some ducks. :biggrin2:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
IANAL, but it's been explained to me that those are 'at X time' clauses. When the coach hits a certain mark (BCSCG win, for example), that kicks in and makes him the highest paid coach at that time, not in perpetuity.
Interesting phrase to make an acronym there :rofl:

I think it's clear to anybody who listens that Coach Saban will be at Alabama until he retires

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Now, maybe we can have a serious discussion about how we are going to balance the legacy that CNS is building versus CPB's legacy that we have so esteemed over these many years. If CNS accomplishes as much or more in a shorter tenure what do we do as a university and a fanbase do to properly show our appreciation? Do we rename BDS? Do we name a street after him? He doesnt have a houndstooth trademark to acknowledge him by - what will we as fans do to acknowledge him long after his tenure is over? I am serious... I dont think it is fair to the man if he goes on to equal or surpass the achievements of Bear but we still view him as second tier. He resurrected our program. I love CPB but I think when he is finished CNS will deserve the same adoration, accolades, and appreciation from us just the same.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Not a doubt in my mind that if CNS had stayed at LSU they would have won at least one more BCS and several conference titles. They were a terror while he was there and he was on his way to turning them into an absolute monster.

No wonder they're still ticked.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Are you dissecting words and context?

I wouldn't read too much into it. It sounds and looks like he is happy here. I think what he said about the idea of him helping kids speaks louder. At this point in his career, it sounds like that is the legacy he wants to leave as opposed to moving up the ladder in the near future.
Based upon the view he currently has from the rung he's standing on, I'd say he's already reached the top of the ladder.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Now, maybe we can have a serious discussion about how we are going to balance the legacy that CNS is building versus CPB's legacy that we have so esteemed over these many years. If CNS accomplishes as much or more in a shorter tenure what do we do as a university and a fanbase do to properly show our appreciation? Do we rename BDS? Do we name a street after him? He doesnt have a houndstooth trademark to acknowledge him by - what will we as fans do to acknowledge him long after his tenure is over? I am serious... I dont think it is fair to the man if he goes on to equal or surpass the achievements of Bear but we still view him as second tier. He resurrected our program. I love CPB but I think when he is finished CNS will deserve the same adoration, accolades, and appreciation from us just the same.
Straw hat. Have one already I display alongside the houndstooth.

RTR!!!

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Are you dissecting words and context?

I wouldn't read too much into it. It sounds and looks like he is happy here. I think what he said about the idea of him helping kids speaks louder. At this point in his career, it sounds like that is the legacy he wants to leave as opposed to moving up the ladder in the near future.
You can't move up the ladder from where he sits now--only over!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think it doesn't matter what he says, how he says, or where he says it at. Their will always be talking about someone going after him or him entertaining offers. The only time anyone will ever listen without doubt is when he says. it's been fun but I'm headed to the lake to watch some ducks. :biggrin2:
This is dead on.

With his success in college, his connections to the NFL and the media's need to fill a 24-hour news cycle, this will be a story until the day he retires. And even then, you'll probably hear rumors the first few years of him being coaxed out of retirement to bring team X back to glory.

This is what happens when you are on top.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While I agree with everything you have pointed out, my point is at Alabama you have a certain mindset about winning, specifically championships, that you don't have at other schools including LSU. So if the culture does not promote winning and the confidence that goes with it you may not win as many championships at some places even with a HOF coach and great talent IMO.
LSU didn't have that mindset until CNS arrived and began working. He walked into a winning-mindset environment when he landed in Tuscaloosa. He didn't have to spend a few seasons to get the correct atmosphere like he did in Baton Rouge. Had he stayed, I doubt there would have been the talks of a USC dynasty.

There never will be another Coach Bryant. You can't compare coaches from different time periods. You just can't. Coach Bryant receives the respect he earned. Coach Saban will receive the respect he earns. However, there should not be talk about Coach Bryant v. Coach Saban.

Last edited:

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
"I have now have had three credible sources -- two in the NFL and one in the college ranks -- swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to (NFL Network's Michael) Lombardi," Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com reported. "One insisted Saban wouldn't work with Lombardi 'in a thousand years.' Another on Monday said there is 'zero chance' Saban would leave Alabama to work alongside Lombardi in Cleveland."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He ended up better off. He would not have reached the level he has here at LSU. He would have won but reaching the BCS title game 3 out of 4 years, I don't think so.
Yes he would. Putting personal feelings and angst toward the LSU fanbase (as a whole) aside. He would have won just as much and possibly more. LSU has a monopoly on the state of Louisiana. He would have also continued to cherry pick Alabama talent, Texas and the surrounding area.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I remember being so happy and relieved when he left LSU.
I remember sitting around my grandmother's TV on that Saturday while the rest of the family got ready to eat Christmas lunch. My brother and I wanted to watch his press conference and celebrate him leaving LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.