Link: Saban addressing the rumors he might be leaving Alabama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tim Brando is now on and he's bashing the media speculation as ridiculous. He is refusing invitations to talk about CNS on Cleveland radio bc of the story it creates.

He said this as well:

"I don't believe - I really DON'T believe - that Saban is even considering it." (It being an NFL move in this context).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tim Brando is now on and he's bashing the media speculation as ridiculous. He is refusing invitations to talk about CNS on Cleveland radio bc of the story it creates.

He said this as well:

"I don't believe - I really DON'T believe - that Saban is even considering it." (It being an NFL move in this context).
That's our Tim. He always was able to change sides without a hiccup...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's our Tim. He always was able to change sides without a hiccup...
Well to be fair he's been pretty consistent on this one.

He even acknowledged the obvious - if he said Saban would go it would create a ruckus & if he said no it would be "well he's the. CBS college guy so what else would he say?"

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

He said this as well:

He may have said that, but only after bashing the Alabama
fan base and bringing up Quinton Dial.........Again! But he isn't anti Bama, just ask him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I will stop as far as to say that the media relishes the role of a distractor in situations like the championship game with it's long layoff. The media does relish a good speculation story especially when it's only endgame is the finalization of every NFL coaching vacancy. It's especially interesting to them when the two title game opponents are so particularly boring when it comes to television (at least in ESPN's speciality of 24-hour news coverage). Notre Dame isn't going to shoot off their mouths with trash talk and neither will Alabama. Each coach is so effusive with their praise for the other team that the media can find out more about why Notre Dame is so good by simply speaking to Saban and vice versa. It is a boring matchup in terms of the 24-hr news cycle but Notre Dame's long absence on this kind of stage has at least given them plenty of material in that regard.

Their news on Alabama has basically amounted to: "well, practice has started at Alabama. They're doing the same things they've done the last 4 years for bowl games. The players are saying the same things and I swear Barrett Jones said that about LSU this time last year. Christ, am I in Groundhog Day?" Their only lead for the "Saban to NFL" story are rumors that were attached to a Lombardi fellow who is vying for the Cleveland GM position. I think Finebaum astutely pointed out that these rumors are probably sourced from Lombardi's people in hopes of helping his own chances: "I can get you Saban, hire me." Considering how dull the coverage will be for this game, they'll just run with the possibility of the Saban's potential last game in college football angle.

Like I said, I don't think the intention is to create a distraction. I do think they are just latching on to anything that can keep the news cycle going because neither team is likely to give them any kind of good material to run with until the game is over. Saban isn't going anywhere. I don't see this guy coaching over 6-8 more years and for some reason I doubt he's going to make his last stop something that was a miserable experience for him previously. If he couldn't stand Miami which has one of the best owners in the NFL for coaches, what makes people think he's going to leave Alabama for anything less than Belichick retiring this offseason and personally requesting Saban be his replacement? If Saban is going to leave, he's going to do it knowing he'll probably only have around 8 years left before the family wants him to retire. He isn't going to leave for anything less than "the setup." Why stake his enduring legacy to rebuilding a franchise with no history of having success and none of the built in advantages of college recruiting to level the competitive differences quickly?

See though, he's going to the Browns...where by year 3-4 of his tenure he will have to start thinking about finding a replacement at QB for a guy who isn't even a 5-year pro. Like heck...he wants to go to place with an established QB (so he doesn't have to worry about another Brees-Cullpepper deal blowing up his chances of succeeding) and a good deal of the roster already pretty well put together. How many places like that are open? Maybe the Chargers but they seem due for a roster clean out to clear up their cap space. There just aren't many places that I think he'd leave us for in the NFL. They do exist though. I don't see the Patriots opening up until Brady retires (Belichick will follow). The Cowboys have the roster pieces but I don't think Saban would mesh with Jerry Jones who likes to be involved in personnel decisions.

Last edited:

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Saban was asked about this issue during his 12/18 press conference. He shrugged the NFL rumors off as completely unfounded. He also laughed and told the media, "Y'all are asking the wrong person. Miss Terry makes all the decisions about all that stuff, anyway."

Discussion begins at the 7:26 mark.
http://video.tuscaloosanews.com/video/2044222507001

On a totally different note, he talks about Coach Bryant earlier in the press conference. Fun to hear.

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
All this talk about Coach Saban leaving makes me think it is something concocted solely by the media to serve as a distraction from what Alabama is trying to accomplish. In particular, Collin Cowherd made a big deal out of Saban appearing on a "MIAMI" based radio show. My take is that Coach Saban knows that his leaving Miami is going to be a very hot topic since the NCG is being played there,and I believe he is merely trying to put some of the clutter to bed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Cowboys have the roster pieces but I don't think Saban would mesh with Jerry Jones who likes to be involved in personnel decisions.
Jerry made his try last year, along with UT. Coach said "no" to both of them...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
All this talk about Coach Saban leaving makes me think it is something concocted solely by the media to serve as a distraction from what Alabama is trying to accomplish. In particular, Collin Cowherd made a big deal out of Saban appearing on a "MIAMI" based radio show. My take is that Coach Saban knows that his leaving Miami is going to be a very hot topic since the NCG is being played there,and I believe he is merely trying to put some of the clutter to bed.
The media hates Alabama and Coach Saban. It's no secret. They've been rooting against us ever since he set foot on our campus as head coach. They're doing everything they can to help Notre Dame win this game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Saban was asked about this issue during his 12/18 press conference. He shrugged the NFL rumors off as completely unfounded. He also laughed and told the media, "Y'all are asking the wrong person. Miss Terry makes all the decisions about all that stuff, anyway."

Hey, that's right! Has everyone given their daily thanks to Rita today? If not, include Miss Terry.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The media hates Alabama and Coach Saban. It's no secret. They've been rooting against us ever since he set foot on our campus as head coach. They're doing everything they can to help Notre Dame win this game.
That is a pretty bold statement to lump all "the media" into one group and say they "hate us." I actually think by and large the media loves it when a traditional power develops a dynasty. But they also love it when it implodes too. Granted, there are some individual members of the media that probably put a negative slant on all things Bama, but I refuse to believe that "everybody hates us." Almost sounds Barnerish.

Actually, my complaint with the media (across the board) is that instead of reporting the news they try to make the news and this seems to be what is happening here with CNS and the NFL thing. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Some members of the media? Probably

Every member of the media? No way

Making a statement like that is painting with a very broad brush.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
That is a pretty bold statement to lump all "the media" into one group and say they "hate us." I actually think by and large the media loves it when a traditional power develops a dynasty. But they also love it when it implodes too. Granted, there are some individual members of the media that probably put a negative slant on all things Bama, but I refuse to believe that "everybody hates us." Almost sounds Barnerish.

Actually, my complaint with the media (across the board) is that instead of reporting the news they try to make the news and this seems to be what is happening here with CNS and the NFL thing. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Exactly my point. Saban straight up told those fools the other day in his PC what he wants to do at Alabama but the media keeps trying to make something out of it when there's clearly nothing there. It's obvious that a lot of people are out to paint our program and Nick Saban in a bad light leading up to this game.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I think Cowherd is going to bring up Saban more and more till January 7th.I think he wants to create a un easy feeling around the team going into the title game.Jason Taylor shot down everything he's been saying about Saban on Colin's show today.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Cowherd is going to bring up Saban more and more till January 7th.I think he wants to create a un easy feeling around the team going into the title game.Jason Taylor shot down everything he's been saying about Saban on Colin's show today.
2.5 weeks to go and no real new news, what are they going to do. Some of the coverage has already been inane, but it'll get worse. They're reaching for any wisp of controversy they can spy...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Well, this is a bit frustrating...
Think how CNS feels. I mean, he won't be here forever, but going back to the NFL is probably one of the last things I could see him do. People who know him say they doubt he goes back to the NFL, but an "anonymous" source keeps bringing up a potential team owned by an alum of one of our chief rivals. To me, it just smells of someone trying to create a distraction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.