Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Alabama, Notre Dame Take Different Approach to Early Portions of Practice Schedule

Link

When Brian Kelly and Nick Saban held their first of many press conferences in advance of the BCS National Championship game, Kelly joked that he would let Saban field a question about the teams' upcoming practice schedules first because of his title game experience.

Kelly, of course, had a plan of his own, and it differs significantly from Saban's.

Alabama, after 17 days of rest, will take the field today for its first practice since the SEC Championship. Notre Dame, which wrapped up its regular season Nov. 24, will hold its sixth.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Alabama, Notre Dame Take Different Approach to Early Portions of Practice Schedule

Is their a limit to the amount of practices for the post season? If so, how many?
    RTR!

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Alabama, Notre Dame Take Different Approach to Early Portions of Practice Schedul

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Is their a limit to the amount of practices for the post season? If so, how many?
    Although there is no specific limit on the number of practices teams may hold while preparing for a bowl game, standard NCAA rules apply for student-athletesí participation in practice or other athletically related activities. Same as the regular season, these rules limit practice and other athletic activities to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week.
    -- NCAA website

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Basically, ND will have had 4 weeks of practices while Alabama will have had 3.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Alabama, Notre Dame Take Different Approach to Early Portions of Practice Schedul

We need the rest and healing more than the practice IMO.

BamaNation Second Team

I think I remember Saban talking about his bowl practice philosophy before. He mentioned that he used to drive the players pretty hard, but after a while decided that backing off and giving them time to rest was a better approach.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Is that counting the week of practice Alabama had before the Georgia game? I know that's not specifically prep for Notre Dame, but it seems like they'll basically have the same number of practices over the same period of time.

IIRC, CNS uses a week (or so) to work on fundamentals (tackling, blocking, etc) then uses a second week to prepare just like a regular season game.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

I have heard Saban say before that they plan on having 15 practices leading up to the game. I think that counts a few practice days they will have once they get to south Florida.

BamaNation Second Team CRMSNtide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Is that counting the week of practice Alabama had before the Georgia game? I know that's not specifically prep for Notre Dame, but it seems like they'll basically have the same number of practices over the same period of time.
    Thats a pretty long lay off for ND with no championship game to play in.
    I guess it's all in how you use the time though, they could be flat or may come out rested and prepared.

I'll trust Saban to be the expert on this, been in this situation in almost every season here lately.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't think there's an advantage one way or the other; as others have said, it's how you use the time and how the players prepare on their own. It also depends on how practice is run; one CNS practice is worth more than a week of lolly-gagging and walking around practice.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I seem to recall CNS having had said recently that he has seen, in the past, a downside to starting practice too soon for e.g. a bowl game, in that the guys can lose some of their intensity / focus by the time the game rolls around.

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I seem to recall CNS having had said recently that he has seen, in the past, a downside to starting practice too soon for e.g. a bowl game, in that the guys can lose some of their intensity / focus by the time the game rolls around.

He did say something like that. Players get tired of hearing the same thing for weeks. It gets stale and players kinda tune it out towards the end.
    to 16 and beyond........