News Article: Alabama State Commits Secondary Violations During Recruitment of Isaiah Crowell

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

WSFA 12 News has learned Alabama State University committed secondary NCAA violations during the recruitment of running back Isaiah Crowell. Coaches and administrators at ASU had impermissible contact with Crowell before he was cleared by the University of Georgia to speak with other universities.

In August, ASU self-reported the violations to the NCAA in a document obtained by WSFA 12 News. WSFA 12 News has learned the NCAA found the university committed the violations, accepted the university's report and called the case closed. Crowell was cleared to play for the entire season.

According to the University's self-violation report, Crowell was released from the University of Georgia's football team on June 29th. On June 30th, Head Coach Reggie Barlow and Director of Football Operations Craig Payne began making phone calls to Crowell and his mother.

The university's own investigation found that telephone contact was made before the coaches had permission to speak with Crowell about coming to Alabama State University.

Crowell and his mother visited campus on July 3rd, and Crowell enrolled at the university on July 5th.

Sources tell WSFA 12 News other coaches in the SWAC became suspicious about Crowell's recruitment and on July 10th, the SWAC office requested the university to investigate possible NCAA rules violations.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
When I think of "relevant" football programs in Alabama, I think of:

Alabama
UNA
Troy
Jacksonville St
Auburn

In that order. Throw USA in there now I guess. I don't think of UAB, West Alabama, ASU or Alabama A&M. Sorry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.