Greg McElroy named Jets starting QB for Sunday's game vs. Chargers

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
For me it's simple: I cheer for the uniform, not the player. When it comes to football, those uniforms are Alabama and New England.
So call me shallow but I haven't liked the Pats since they changed uniforms years ago :) Bring back the ball snapping Patriot!!

So call me shallow but I haven't liked the Pats since they changed uniforms years ago :) Bring back the ball snapping Patriot!!
I've been saying that for some time. Heck, I'd settle for a compromise - either the Pat Patriot logo with the current blue uniform top or the current logo with the old red uniform top.

Most Patriot merchandise I own has the Pat Patriot logo.

Speaking of uniforms, I liked the Pats better when your avatar was on their helmets.
Not going to argue with you on that one. One of the best logos/uniform combinations in the NFL.

The problem with it, though, was that logo represented a lot of lean and horrendous seasons (Outside of the 1985 season where they lucked their way into being slaughtered by Chicago in the Super Bowl).

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
My! I've just never been able to work up that kind of emotion for pro sports. I just want my Bama boys to do well. They're practically the only reason I watch...
Same here. I pull for the Bama boys. I always want them to do well.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
can't stand Philip Rivers and the Chargers, so pulling for GMAC to have a great game. My NFL team, the Titans, are crap-tastic, so I got nothin'

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm happy that Greg is getting the start. (I'm a 'Big Red' fan)
CRR made a smart decision starting McElroy. It will involve less wholesale changes
than would be needed with Tebow.
Not knocking Tim, but he ain't a Pro Style QB, and Greg is.
Tim has primarily played in the Wildcat, as a change of pace guy.
I don't see 4 quarters of Wildcat as a winning strategy.
Here's hoping that Greg lights up the scoreboard...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not going to argue with you on that one. One of the best logos/uniform combinations in the NFL.

The problem with it, though, was that logo represented a lot of lean and horrendous seasons (Outside of the 1985 season where they lucked their way into being slaughtered by Chicago in the Super Bowl).
Pat's Head coach in 1985 was former NFL great Ray Berry. Berry's father, (Raymond Berry Sr.)was a legendary Texas High School coach. Can anyone name one of his former players that went on to play for and eventually coach under another couple of legends?

Hint, he's pretty popular around these parts. :smile:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is great that McElroy is getting a chance to show his worth. I wish they would have given up on Sanchez earlier and given McElroy his shot before it was over for the Jets (especially after he came in and led the offense to victory). Still, I think it would be hard for GMac to become a regular starter in the NFL. I just don't know if he has the arm strength needed to make the tough throws you have to make to just be effective in the NFL. I'm not even talking about the kind of throws that make you an elite quarterback.

What McElroy lacks in arm talent, he makes up in smarts. He will play within himself and avoid mistakes to the best of his ability. That alone is an improvement on Sanchez who has been a walking, talking turnover waiting to happen. The Jets have had some decent teams before with Pennington who never had a strong arm either. Hope for the best from McElroy.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Namath, Todd, Lyons......let me be a jets fan as a little boy....

But my real allegiance was to Ozzie and the Cardiac Kids in Cleveland. I even think Johnny Davis joined him one year when Brian Sipe was QB and Reggie Rucker, And Company were there....

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
One problem the Jets have is that they have tons of money tied up in Tebow and Sanchez. Sanchez especially will be hard to unload because of this. Money considerations will play a role in what the Jets will do, and it is probably a reason they have stuck with Sanchez so long.
As for which NFL team I pull for, I am like most people here in that I am for the Bama boys, and to a lesser extent, against the Auburn players(if both are on the same team, the Bama outweighs the barn). I do have a problem with teams of any sport from some cities or areas, or teams with too many prima donnas, but otherwise I can't get too worked up over pro sports. I will watch northern teams like Green Bay when the weather turns wintery just because I like cold and nasty weather, and on the flip side, I don't like dome games regardless of who is playing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One problem the Jets have is that they have tons of money tied up in Tebow and Sanchez. Sanchez especially will be hard to unload because of this. Money considerations will play a role in what the Jets will do, and it is probably a reason they have stuck with Sanchez so long.
As for which NFL team I pull for, I am like most people here in that I am for the Bama boys, and to a lesser extent, against the Auburn players(if both are on the same team, the Bama outweighs the barn). I do have a problem with teams of any sport from some cities or areas, or teams with too many prima donnas, but otherwise I can't get too worked up over pro sports. I will watch northern teams like Green Bay when the weather turns wintery just because I like cold and nasty weather, and on the flip side, I don't like dome games regardless of who is playing.
The fact that they find themselves in this position is enough to call into question the sanity of the Jets management. I can see the miss on Sanchez - that unfortunately happens fairly frequently with highly-drafted QBs - but what were they thinking in bringing in Tebow? I just don't understand the theory. I hope they hold on to Sanchez and Tebow (they may have to) and trade Greg to a team where he can be a solid backup and maybe a chance to play some...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The fact that they find themselves in this position is enough to call into question the sanity of the Jets management. I can see the miss on Sanchez - that unfortunately happens fairly frequently with highly-drafted QBs - but what were they thinking in bringing in Tebow? I just don't understand the theory. I hope they hold on to Sanchez and Tebow (they may have to) and trade Greg to a team where he can be a solid backup and maybe a chance to play some...
Agreed. May be too little too late but G-Mac might be designated starter now for developmental reasons now that the Jets are eliminated from post season play. If they are just going to jerk him around as they've been doing then trade or release him as you've stated.

RTR!!!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Several years ago there was a thread here asking which Bama players were thought to be good enough to play at the next level. My pick of him was met with much consternation.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read somewhere online that it would cost the Jets ove $17MM against their cap next year if they let Sanchez go, so he will be with the Jets next year. His salary will be $8.2MM, so he is pretty much untradable. That means that either Tebow or McElroy will have to be let go in the off-season, maybe both, to bring in a real back-up plan in case Sanchez remains Sanchez. They may try to trade for someone like Kirk Cousins, or they may just draft someone. I would laugh my rear off if they signed someone like Vick.

I really don't think that McElroy will be able to make enough of a difference in these last two weeks to save his job. If the Jets react like they did after they were eliminated last year, the team will be mailing it in the next two weeks.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
unfortunately, Greg is in an impossible situation. The NY Jets will ruin the careers of Greg, Tim and Mark.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.