Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chris Black?

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Chris Black?

just like with the last thread. no way he plays unless we have an injury at the WR position. even then, we'd probably have to be losing for him to get in

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    He was not on track to start running on his own until right before the BCSCG. I find it unlikely he will be cleared for contact but who knows at this point.
    Directly from Saban...

https://twitter.com/LakenLitman/stat...87723421831168

Saban says Kenny Bell (leg) has been cleared to do some things. "I can't make a call as to whether he'll play in the [NC] game or not."
    Lucky #13

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Well, in the spring, he was pushing Amari Cooper down the depth chart and would probably have been our "go-to" guy that #9 has become. TBF, he has so much to offer, he would immediately step into the #2 slot, at least, if he played. However, if you don't play him, then it's insurance against a second injury, which would appear to be the only thing which would keep him around for his full eligibility at this point. So, the plan would seem to me to be the same as for the SECCG. He won't play unless it's absolutely necessary...
    Total agreement

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm really impressed with the 'Up Side' we will have with Chris Black.
    Chris displayed lots of speed and ability before he was injured.
    I think CNS would like to have a One, Two, punch of Star Receivers next year,
    to complement our One,Two, Three, Four, punch at RB...
    Here's hoping we won't need him in the BCS Championship Game.
    I know Chris want's to play, but I'd rather he 'Red Shirts', and keeps getting stronger for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If Black is anywhere near as good as Cooper, he isn't staying for 4 years (much less 5), so the redshirt is worthless. If he can contribute, it would be very foolish not to play him.
    Agreed!

BamaNation Third Team EddieTorres's Avatar

He didn't play in the Ga game, so why would this topic even be brought up again? I agree with everything sip posted.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Anybody think CB will be a new "wrinkle" for the BCSNCG? This extra practice time is more opportunity for AJ and CB to get their timing down, just sayin`.
    i dont think so...unless its an absolute dire need for him to go in...

dont want to blow a redshirt if we have receivers that can play...and we do.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I posted like 30 posts before the Georgia game that Coach Saban, if he followed his normal trend, wouldn't burn Chris Black's redshirt for one game unless absolutely necessary. I got jumped in many quarters.
    Well, he didn't play.
    I can't imagine Coach Saban sitting a guy who's contributed all season to play a kid who hasn't played a down.
    It's not going to happen no matter how good Chris may be.
    Coach Saban has integrity. Chris Black will see his first action next season.
    sip
    Barring injury to a key contributor with the game in the balance, it sure looks like you foretold that one perfectly. I was of the mindset going into the sec championship game that there was a good shot he would play. But with him not being inserted into the lineup, it is clear it would take a catastropic circumstance for him to get playing time in the national championship game.

A second point to remember, our running game was working much better than our passing game in the SECCG, so we shifted to more of a running plan late in the game. Chris Black may have been in the plans for a few plays, but the play calls may have kept him off of the field as much as the redshirt.
    Last edited by mdb-tpet; December 19th, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clarity
    The Golden Rule for internet postings:

If you don't have anything nice to say, then say it with class, say it eloquently, and for goodness sake use the English language like your English teacher tried so hard to teach you.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The more it looks like Bell is ahead of schedule, the more Chris Black's red shirt is safe.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

To waste one year of eligbility on maybe 15-20 snaps in one game makes no sense to me. Unless 2 of our WR's go down I don't see him playing.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If Black is anywhere near as good as Cooper, he isn't staying for 4 years (much less 5), so the redshirt is worthless. If he can contribute, it would be very foolish not to play him.
    I agree. If he is good enough to help us win, I say play him. If he doesn't add any great threat that we don't already have, don't play him. Any time you have a chance to win championships, I think that you should use every weapon at your disposal. Even if he plays, he would still have four years to play three. If he is as good as some say, as others have mentioned, he won't be around that long anyway.

I've tried to put to rest this "waste a redshirt" talk to rest, but all my efforts so far haven't succeeded, so this one won't either. First, coming out of the spring, he was our #1 WR, ahead of Coop. He hurt his shoulder, not a knee or other running gear. Based on his demonstrated skill level, there's absolutely no reason to think that he'll play for us past his HS senior class eligibility (nor should he). Now, it was felt he might be needed as the alternate deep ball guy, so he was ready to play and he and his family were on board with the decision. However, there's one very big reason not to play him, both for his and our best interests. That one reason is a double injury. If he plays 1/7, there goes an entire year. OTOH, if he goes down in the first three games next season, that extra medical RS year is in the bank and likely to be allowed by the NCAA. So, in a way, his not playing is an insurance policy against another season-ending injury and losing a year. I'm 100% sure that these scenarios have been gone over with him and his family and they've accepted the reasonable risk level (of two injuries) and will be happy to see him showcase his talents in the BCSCG, should it become absolutely necessary. Personally, I just don't see it happening unless #9 goes down and KB can't go...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus