Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chris Black?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Chris Black?

I think you can throw all the injured guys together and say one will probably play.

Chris Black? Kenny Bell? Jarrick? Fowler? They're all long shots at this point, but I'd say the odds are in favor of one making it on the field in the championship game. You can bet they all want to be...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

bell wont play. black will. were going to bust him out.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think you can throw all the injured guys together and say one will probably play.

Chris Black? Kenny Bell? Jarrick? Fowler? They're all long shots at this point, but I'd say the odds are in favor of one making it on the field in the championship game. You can bet they all want to be...
    I think Fowler, White, and Hart are Spring targets still. Jarrick Williams looks like he may be available and Kenny Bell is seemingly a little ahead of the curve now too. Black isn't injured anymore. He was cleared for contact after the Auburn game and was ready to play in the SECCG if needed.

Black's issue is that I think the staff feels confident in what the available receivers can accomplish. He's as talented or perhaps even more talented than some of the guys but the developed depth is capable of executing what needs to be done.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Also, I will say that though Bell is seemingly ahead of the curve...I don't know if his participation was ever to be counted on even if he was "running at 5-6 weeks" like the initial target. There is a world of difference between running and getting hit.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

The injury concern should not be a reason for not playing him. He'd still have a redshirt year available if he were to get injured seriously down the road.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Love the Ping View Post
    The injury concern should not be a reason for not playing him. He'd still have a redshirt year available if he were to get injured seriously down the road.
    He'd still have a redshirt for medical reasons if he got seriously injured anyway. If he is injured before game 3 of a season, he gets a medical waiver for that season. If he got injured late in the season and had to miss the following year, he could get a medical waiver then too. The 5th year to play 4 seasons is largely meaningless to injuries. With the way we recruit, if it is going take you a medical waiver and redshirt to recover...you might as well transfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    He'd still have a redshirt for medical reasons if he got seriously injured anyway. If he is injured before game 3 of a season, he gets a medical waiver for that season. If he got injured late in the season and had to miss the following year, he could get a medical waiver then too. The 5th year to play 4 seasons is largely meaningless to injuries. With the way we recruit, if it is going take you a medical waiver and redshirt to recover...you might as well transfer.
    It's been increased to 30% or three games, whichever is less. Changed 2007-2009...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Would Jarrick be needed? He's never been redshirted, so he can get that this year and be a RS Junior next year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    What if he makes two key blocks and a huge first down catch in those 15-20 plays, and that makes the difference in beating Notre Dame? Even if all he did in the game was make a TD saving tackle on special teams, I say you use all your weapons when you have a chance to win a championship. We've been spoiled historically and of late, but we may not play for a championship again during his time at Bama. I guarantee that he would always wish that he had played in that championship game if that turns out to be the case.
    ...what if one of the other great players that played all season makes that play instead...would that be okay?

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdb-tpet View Post
    A second point to remember, our running game was working much better than our passing game in the SECCG, so we shifted to more of a running plan late in the game. Chris Black may have been in the plans for a few plays, but the play calls may have kept him off of the field as much as the redshirt.
    are we that shallow at WR that we have to play a freshman receiver who was injured and has not taken one snap in a game, in the national championship game, and expect him to be the differnce in the game??

Are the rest of our receivers that bad?

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Would Jarrick be needed? He's never been redshirted, so he can get that this year and be a RS Junior next year.
    I think we've got enough safeties that I doubt he will play. With the emergence of Geno Smith late in the season, I think the odds that Jarrick would play in this game would be incredibly slim. Geno has basically taken a safety off the field in our nickel and dime stuff (which is a good thing, IMO).

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    are we that shallow at WR that we have to play a freshman receiver who was injured and has not taken one snap in a game, in the national championship game?

Are the rest of our receivers that bad?
    I don't know if they are that bad or not, but past our top three none of them have made plays to prove either way. Look at our numbers. White is out for the year. Bell may not be able to play. That's two key (and EXPERIENCED) guys right there. I don't know about you, but I really only have confidence in three guys to make a play (Cooper, Norwood, Christian Jones). If Black gives us a better chance than any of the rest of the guys available (Cyrus Jones, Shinn, Woodson), then go with him.

Against Georgia, I'm not sure we ever lined up with more than three wide receivers, so we never needed another guy to step up. Who's to say that will be the case Jan. 7?
    Last edited by Love the Ping; December 21st, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love the Ping View Post
    Where in the world have you been? Didn't you used to post recruiting news/notes? Missed it...