Chris Black?

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I posted like 30 posts before the Georgia game that Coach Saban, if he followed his normal trend, wouldn't burn Chris Black's redshirt for one game unless absolutely necessary. I got jumped in many quarters.
Well, he didn't play.
I can't imagine Coach Saban sitting a guy who's contributed all season to play a kid who hasn't played a down.
It's not going to happen no matter how good Chris may be.
Coach Saban has integrity. Chris Black will see his first action next season.
sip
Barring injury to a key contributor with the game in the balance, it sure looks like you foretold that one perfectly. I was of the mindset going into the sec championship game that there was a good shot he would play. But with him not being inserted into the lineup, it is clear it would take a catastropic circumstance for him to get playing time in the national championship game.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
A second point to remember, our running game was working much better than our passing game in the SECCG, so we shifted to more of a running plan late in the game. Chris Black may have been in the plans for a few plays, but the play calls may have kept him off of the field as much as the redshirt.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
To waste one year of eligbility on maybe 15-20 snaps in one game makes no sense to me. Unless 2 of our WR's go down I don't see him playing.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If Black is anywhere near as good as Cooper, he isn't staying for 4 years (much less 5), so the redshirt is worthless. If he can contribute, it would be very foolish not to play him.
I agree. If he is good enough to help us win, I say play him. If he doesn't add any great threat that we don't already have, don't play him. Any time you have a chance to win championships, I think that you should use every weapon at your disposal. Even if he plays, he would still have four years to play three. If he is as good as some say, as others have mentioned, he won't be around that long anyway.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've tried to put to rest this "waste a redshirt" talk to rest, but all my efforts so far haven't succeeded, so this one won't either. First, coming out of the spring, he was our #1 WR, ahead of Coop. He hurt his shoulder, not a knee or other running gear. Based on his demonstrated skill level, there's absolutely no reason to think that he'll play for us past his HS senior class eligibility (nor should he). Now, it was felt he might be needed as the alternate deep ball guy, so he was ready to play and he and his family were on board with the decision. However, there's one very big reason not to play him, both for his and our best interests. That one reason is a double injury. If he plays 1/7, there goes an entire year. OTOH, if he goes down in the first three games next season, that extra medical RS year is in the bank and likely to be allowed by the NCAA. So, in a way, his not playing is an insurance policy against another season-ending injury and losing a year. I'm 100% sure that these scenarios have been gone over with him and his family and they've accepted the reasonable risk level (of two injuries) and will be happy to see him showcase his talents in the BCSCG, should it become absolutely necessary. Personally, I just don't see it happening unless #9 goes down and KB can't go...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
To waste one year of eligbility on maybe 15-20 snaps in one game makes no sense to me. Unless 2 of our WR's go down I don't see him playing.
What if he makes two key blocks and a huge first down catch in those 15-20 plays, and that makes the difference in beating Notre Dame? Even if all he did in the game was make a TD saving tackle on special teams, I say you use all your weapons when you have a chance to win a championship. We've been spoiled historically and of late, but we may not play for a championship again during his time at Bama. I guarantee that he would always wish that he had played in that championship game if that turns out to be the case.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
As strange as it seems, I bet Chris Black "will" play against Notre Dame.

I have read and seen video that he is tearing it up in practice. He's got that special "it" factor.

I bet they put him in the second drive and throw him a quick pass to get him in the game. Then you will see at least one long pass to him.

I still remember his long touchdown in the A-Day game......I replayed it a half dozen times.

He's got what Cooper has, and I believe a tad more.

This is not a leg injury that Black suffered.....he will not be slowed down, let's be clear on that. His injury is healed, and would take an absolute fluke to injure it again.

The only reason he didn't get in against Georgia is because he only had limited practice time since his medical clearance......well now he has an additional month to get in his top groove.

Keep an eye out for #5 on Offense because he's playing against Notre Dame, you will see.

Roll Tide!!!!!!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if #5 will play but I think he could make some plays if he did. As BAMAfan777 stated, he's got all the ability of Cooper and possibly more. He's incredibly fast, great ball skills, and a natural playmaker type. My only restraint with him in the title game is the lack of polish within the offensive scheme.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I agree rwg, I do have a slight concern over CB possibly fumbling in the Championship because he is not used to primetime hits. But he's not returning punts or kick-offs, so I think he can hold on to the ball.

Coach is putting him in!

RTR!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If Chris Black is as good or better than Cooper why all this hand wringing over a redshirt ?

There is absolutely no way he will stay 5 years in college if he's that good.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
If Chris Black is as good or better than Cooper why all this hand wringing over a redshirt ?

There is absolutely no way he will stay 5 years in college if he's that good.
As Earle pointed out, if he gets re-injured, burning his redshirt could have implications in the future. Besides, nothing in this world is a sure thing. What if he struggles to put up the numbers that scouts want to see because of a weak line or nagging injuries? There's always a chance someone doesn't pan out, even if they look capable of playing in the NFL right now. Perhaps a lower body injury slows him down and he's a good, but not great receiver after that, and can't quite hit that first or second round draft grade? From all accounts, he has an excellent shot to be drafted after his 3rd year out from HS, but nothing is certain. If we're struggling and need a spark, I would bet CNS puts him in to win now. If we're cruising in the 3rd Quarter, he keeps him on the bench.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I really thought CB would play in the SEC championship game. Now I truly do not see him playing unless someone significant goes down in the BCS game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I see Chris Black as 'another arrow in our quiver'...
Value... ND must prepare for him, whether he plays or not.

I watched the A-Day Game again and I'm convinced that Chris is as good as or maybe better than Cooper. (That's saying a lot)
I would love to see Black and Cooper on either side of the field... Who gets double teamed?
That scenario should open a nice lane for Lacy or Yeldon to run if the pass coverage
is too tight.

IMO: Looks like Chris will be there in case of emergency. I think he's ready, but I hope he's not needed.
Injuries happen at the worst of times, so the additional value of having Black in reserve, could be a difference maker.

Last edited:

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
IMO Chris Black very well could stay at Alabama for his full years of eligibility, redshirt or not. Historically, if you look at receivers who have left early for the draft, they are guys with exceptional speed, size, skill set, etc. CB does not have the size to leave early for the NFL at 5 feet 11 inches tall and less than 180 pounds. He will get bigger, more muscular, etc. but he will not get any taller.

Receivers of his size are not the type that leave early, regardless of their play making ability. Their demand is just not that sought after in the NFL.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am leaning towards Black being nothing more than an emergency option if Bell does not play and an additional receiver goes down. Five scholarship receivers available is thin but practical for making it through a game so long as nobody gets injured. After seeing us use a lot of true 4-WR personnel against UGA in the first half and Black didn't get involved (nor did Cyrus Jones either really), I think it is unlikely he plays unless he practices so well that they feel it is a disservice to Black and the team to simply play for the redshirt. The staff obviously feels good with Cooper, Norwood, and Ch. Jones being supported by the guys already forgoing their redshirt. If Bell is ahead of schedule and able to play - which Saban's words seemed to be his typical "cautiously optimistic" response in regards to Bell - then I think Black would be very unlikely to play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think you can throw all the injured guys together and say one will probably play.

Chris Black? Kenny Bell? Jarrick? Fowler? They're all long shots at this point, but I'd say the odds are in favor of one making it on the field in the championship game. You can bet they all want to be...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.