Chris Black?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Anybody think CB will be a new "wrinkle" for the BCSNCG? This extra practice time is more opportunity for AJ and CB to get their timing down, just sayin`.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It really depends. It looks like he's an emergency depth sort of guy right now. We played a good bit of 4-WR in the first half of the SECCG and Shinn was getting the majority of the snaps along side Ch. Jones, Norwood, and Cooper. With a month of practice with the starters, Black may be used but I think they are protecting the redshirt until something goes sideways in the game.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It really depends. It looks like he's an emergency depth sort of guy right now. We played a good bit of 4-WR in the first half of the SECCG and Shinn was getting the majority of the snaps along side Ch. Jones, Norwood, and Cooper. With a month of practice with the starters, Black may be used but I think they are protecting the redshirt unless something goes sideways in the game.
FIFY :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It really depends. It looks like he's an emergency depth sort of guy right now. We played a good bit of 4-WR in the first half of the SECCG and Shinn was getting the majority of the snaps along side Ch. Jones, Norwood, and Cooper. With a month of practice with the starters, Black may be used but I think they are protecting the redshirt until something goes sideways in the game.
After the SECCG, I agree with this...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He was not on track to start running on his own until right before the BCSCG. I find it unlikely he will be cleared for contact but who knows at this point.
Someone posted under another thread Kenny was riding a stationary bike at practice today. I think it is not probable but is possible he plays.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Black is anywhere near as good as Cooper, he isn't staying for 4 years (much less 5), so the redshirt is worthless. If he can contribute, it would be very foolish not to play him.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If Black is anywhere near as good as Cooper, he isn't staying for 4 years (much less 5), so the redshirt is worthless. If he can contribute, it would be very foolish not to play him.
I agree with this. If he is as good as his billing, Alabama won't be getting his services for the full four/five years anyway.
On the other hand, if Coach Saban has had a conversation with him and he is fairly certain he wants ot stay the full 4/5 years and get his degree, maybe CNS won't use him.

What is his height/weight? Does he need to bulk up to be ready for the NFL (assuming that is in his future)?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I posted like 30 posts before the Georgia game that Coach Saban, if he followed his normal trend, wouldn't burn Chris Black's redshirt for one game unless absolutely necessary. I got jumped in many quarters.
Well, he didn't play.
I can't imagine Coach Saban sitting a guy who's contributed all season to play a kid who hasn't played a down.
It's not going to happen no matter how good Chris may be.
Coach Saban has integrity. Chris Black will see his first action next season.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If...If....If....If...If....
So what proven commodity has the young man accomplished that would make you place the national championship in his hands over the receivers who have proven they can get us to this point?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
So why waste a year of his eligibility.
That's what Coach S. is thinking in my opinion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If...If....If....If...If....
So what proven commodity has the young man accomplished that would make you place the national championship in his hands over the receivers who have proven they can get us to this point?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
So why waste a year of his eligibility.
That's what Coach S. is thinking in my opinion.
Well, in the spring, he was pushing Amari Cooper down the depth chart and would probably have been our "go-to" guy that #9 has become. TBF, he has so much to offer, he would immediately step into the #2 slot, at least, if he played. However, if you don't play him, then it's insurance against a second injury, which would appear to be the only thing which would keep him around for his full eligibility at this point. So, the plan would seem to me to be the same as for the SECCG. He won't play unless it's absolutely necessary...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, in the spring, he was pushing Amari Cooper down the depth chart and would probably have been our "go-to" guy that #9 has become. TBF, he has so much to offer, he would immediately step into the #2 slot, at least, if he played. However, if you don't play him, then it's insurance against a second injury, which would appear to be the only thing which would keep him around for his full eligibility at this point. So, the plan would seem to me to be the same as for the SECCG. He won't play unless it's absolutely necessary...
Total agreement :)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm really impressed with the 'Up Side' we will have with Chris Black.
Chris displayed lots of speed and ability before he was injured.
I think CNS would like to have a One, Two, punch of Star Receivers next year,
to complement our One,Two, Three, Four, punch at RB...
Here's hoping we won't need him in the BCS Championship Game.
I know Chris want's to play, but I'd rather he 'Red Shirts', and keeps getting stronger for next year.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Anybody think CB will be a new "wrinkle" for the BCSNCG? This extra practice time is more opportunity for AJ and CB to get their timing down, just sayin`.
i dont think so...unless its an absolute dire need for him to go in...

dont want to blow a redshirt if we have receivers that can play...and we do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.