Chris Black?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think you can throw all the injured guys together and say one will probably play.

Chris Black? Kenny Bell? Jarrick? Fowler? They're all long shots at this point, but I'd say the odds are in favor of one making it on the field in the championship game. You can bet they all want to be...
I think Fowler, White, and Hart are Spring targets still. Jarrick Williams looks like he may be available and Kenny Bell is seemingly a little ahead of the curve now too. Black isn't injured anymore. He was cleared for contact after the Auburn game and was ready to play in the SECCG if needed.

Black's issue is that I think the staff feels confident in what the available receivers can accomplish. He's as talented or perhaps even more talented than some of the guys but the developed depth is capable of executing what needs to be done.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, I will say that though Bell is seemingly ahead of the curve...I don't know if his participation was ever to be counted on even if he was "running at 5-6 weeks" like the initial target. There is a world of difference between running and getting hit.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
The injury concern should not be a reason for not playing him. He'd still have a redshirt year available if he were to get injured seriously down the road.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The injury concern should not be a reason for not playing him. He'd still have a redshirt year available if he were to get injured seriously down the road.
He'd still have a redshirt for medical reasons if he got seriously injured anyway. If he is injured before game 3 of a season, he gets a medical waiver for that season. If he got injured late in the season and had to miss the following year, he could get a medical waiver then too. The 5th year to play 4 seasons is largely meaningless to injuries. With the way we recruit, if it is going take you a medical waiver and redshirt to recover...you might as well transfer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He'd still have a redshirt for medical reasons if he got seriously injured anyway. If he is injured before game 3 of a season, he gets a medical waiver for that season. If he got injured late in the season and had to miss the following year, he could get a medical waiver then too. The 5th year to play 4 seasons is largely meaningless to injuries. With the way we recruit, if it is going take you a medical waiver and redshirt to recover...you might as well transfer.
It's been increased to 30% or three games, whichever is less. Changed 2007-2009...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would Jarrick be needed? He's never been redshirted, so he can get that this year and be a RS Junior next year.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
What if he makes two key blocks and a huge first down catch in those 15-20 plays, and that makes the difference in beating Notre Dame? Even if all he did in the game was make a TD saving tackle on special teams, I say you use all your weapons when you have a chance to win a championship. We've been spoiled historically and of late, but we may not play for a championship again during his time at Bama. I guarantee that he would always wish that he had played in that championship game if that turns out to be the case.
...what if one of the other great players that played all season makes that play instead...would that be okay?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
A second point to remember, our running game was working much better than our passing game in the SECCG, so we shifted to more of a running plan late in the game. Chris Black may have been in the plans for a few plays, but the play calls may have kept him off of the field as much as the redshirt.
are we that shallow at WR that we have to play a freshman receiver who was injured and has not taken one snap in a game, in the national championship game, and expect him to be the differnce in the game??

Are the rest of our receivers that bad?

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Would Jarrick be needed? He's never been redshirted, so he can get that this year and be a RS Junior next year.
I think we've got enough safeties that I doubt he will play. With the emergence of Geno Smith late in the season, I think the odds that Jarrick would play in this game would be incredibly slim. Geno has basically taken a safety off the field in our nickel and dime stuff (which is a good thing, IMO).

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
are we that shallow at WR that we have to play a freshman receiver who was injured and has not taken one snap in a game, in the national championship game?

I don't know if they are that bad or not, but past our top three none of them have made plays to prove either way. Look at our numbers. White is out for the year. Bell may not be able to play. That's two key (and EXPERIENCED) guys right there. I don't know about you, but I really only have confidence in three guys to make a play (Cooper, Norwood, Christian Jones). If Black gives us a better chance than any of the rest of the guys available (Cyrus Jones, Shinn, Woodson), then go with him.

Against Georgia, I'm not sure we ever lined up with more than three wide receivers, so we never needed another guy to step up. Who's to say that will be the case Jan. 7?

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
No, they aren't that bad, but look at our numbers. White is out for the year. Bell may not be able to play. That's two key (and EXPERIENCED) guys right there. I don't know about you, but I really only have confidence in three guys to make a play (Cooper, Norwood, Christian Jones). If Black gives us a better chance than any of the rest of the guys available (Cyrus Jones, Shinn, Woodson), then go with him.
my point exactly...we dont know he would give us that, and not make a critical mistake.
IMO, better to go with the ones who got us here (Cooper, Norwood, C. Jones), and only even consider Black if theres was injury that made it a must.

everyone is acting like he would be the difference in the game, yet he's never taken a snap in a game. We have plenty of experience at the position, I dont see him playing in the biggest game of the year, when he hasnt played all year...
just my opinion, thats all.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Where in the world have you been? Didn't you used to post recruiting news/notes? Missed it...
Just busy with life.

I've been watching all the games, but haven't been on the boards as much. Got a little down time now, though, so I hope to interact a little more leading up to Jan. 7.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
my point exactly...we dont know he would give us that, and not make a critical mistake.
IMO, better to go with the ones who got us here (Cooper, Norwood, C. Jones), and only even consider Black if theres was injury that made it a must.

everyone is acting like he would be the difference in the game, yet he's never taken a snap in a game. We have plenty of experience at the position, I dont see him playing in the biggest game of the year, when he hasnt played all year...
I don't think his ability is in question. He was obviously primed to be one of the top guys at the position prior to his injury. I'd rather he not play, just because I think the redshirt year is a good security blanket to have (for any number of reasons, not just injury).

However, if one of the top three gets banged up, or we need another guy, I'd like it to be the best guy available. Black hasn't shown anything yet, but neither has anyone not named Amari Cooper, Kevin Norwood, or Christian Jones. My gut tells me that Shinn or Cyrus Jones are next up, but you never know. We may need someone who can come in and take the top off the defense. And heck, maybe Kenny will be able to come back and this whole conversation is moot. That would be the best scenario.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

C Jones had never fielded a punt before the last BCSCG, but it became a necessity. I thought the odds were pretty good that he might get in the SECCG. Now that he didn't, I see him as used only in case of necessity. BTW, on the medical RS rule, no participation can occur in the latter half of the season, regardless of the number of games, so playing on 1/7 would cost a year of eligibility and he would have to meet the med RS rule next year (or whenever he became injured), so there is risk to him. There's no way around it. If he got injured in game four next year, having participated in the first three, then he would have lost both this year and next...

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
This is nit-picky maybe, but I think you can actually play in four games (of a 12-game regular season) and still qualify for a medical redshirt. Hightower got one in 2009 despite being injured in the fourth game against Arkansas (and he had obviously started all four games). Either way, hopefully CB is able to avoid all injuries in the future.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is nit-picky maybe, but I think you can actually play in four games (of a 12-game regular season) and still qualify for a medical redshirt. Hightower got one in 2009 despite being injured in the fourth game against Arkansas (and he had obviously started all four games). Either way, hopefully CB is able to avoid all injuries in the future.
I cited the actual NCAA bylaw in another thread, but I'm not going to look it up again and repost. It really does read 30% of the games or three games, whichever is less. In addition, there can be no participation in the latter half of the year. The only way around it is if the NCAA grants a waiver in extraordinary circumstances, which is a very thin reed to depend on, given their inconsistencies...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
are we that shallow at WR that we have to play a freshman receiver who was injured and has not taken one snap in a game, in the national championship game, and expect him to be the differnce in the game??

Alabama lost White, Bell, Black and their third down running back.

Bell is the top returning receiver from last year. White was an important part of the receiving game. Any team loses four guys you expect to be catching passes during the course of a season and they are going to be looking at all their options.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I cited the actual NCAA bylaw in another thread, but I'm not going to look it up again and repost. It really does read 30% of the games or three games, whichever is less. In addition, there can be no participation in the latter half of the year. The only way around it is if the NCAA grants a waiver in extraordinary circumstances, which is a very thin reed to depend on, given their inconsistencies...
It's actually NCAA bylaw 14.2.4 (c) : "In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport."

30 percent of 12 games is 3.6 games, which rounds to 4.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.