Chris Black?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's actually NCAA bylaw 14.2.4 (c) : "In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport."

30 percent of 12 games is 3.6 games, which rounds to 4.
Good catch. I thought it said "less." However, I'd be very surprised if rounding were allowed, given the precision of the rule. However, the underlying proposition remains the same - there's no guaranteed RS if he gets injured again next year or the next. It still constitutes a risk to him of losing an entire year of eligibility for one game and that's the reason I think we only see him if it's a pressing need. By that, I mean that someone gets hurt or our present receiving corps is just not getting it done...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's actually NCAA bylaw 14.2.4 (c) : "In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport."

30 percent of 12 games is 3.6 games, which rounds to 4.
Does that include post season games? If so, 30% of 13 games is 3.9 and 30% of 14 games is 4.2.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, like I said, Hightower played four games and got the waiver.
That's a quibble - what that means is he still has to get injured in the very early part of the season or lose two years of eligibility, and as somebody astutely observed above. He doesn't have the frame and build that the pros look for in early draft entries, even if he does have impressive skills...

psupoop

1st Team
Nov 17, 2008
Chester Springs, PA
That's a quibble - what that means is he still has to get injured in the very early part of the season or lose two years of eligibility, and as somebody astutely observed above. He doesn't have the frame and build that the pros look for in early draft entries, even if he does have impressive skills...
Earle, I recall them rounding up and it being stated in an article explaining the rule surrounding one of the many injuries of the past. I wonder if he could play and then pay the same 2-for-1 penalty that Hanks paid for having played in 1 or 2 games in 2007? Like you said, probably too many inconsistencies surrounding the enforcement of the rules.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I recall them rounding up and it being stated in an article explaining the rule surrounding one of the many injuries of the past. I wonder if he could play and then pay the same 2-for-1 penalty that Hanks paid for having played in 1 or 2 games in 2007? Like you said, probably too many inconsistencies surrounding the enforcement of the rules.
Well, as I said, my point is that you just can't plan a future depending on the hope that, if you have a season-ending injury, it'll happen in the very first part of the season, rounding or not, so you can get that season back. It's a real risk to him and his family, which is why Saban brought the family in and went over the various scenarios with them. As I said before, I really thought he'd probably play in the SEC game. When he didn't, I feel like the odds of his playing 1/7 dropped considerably...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The medical redshirt waiver is based only on the regular season and a player can only be eligible if he doesn't participate after the 30% mark of the season. This prevents the scenario where a player doesn't participate until midseason and gets injured from being eligible.

Also, I think people worry too much about redshirts these days. We're recruiting a level of athlete where if these guys are good enough to leave when they become eligible, they're unlikely to stay. Georgia basically wasted a year of quality play from Moreno because they redshirted him. He may have been behind their veteran backs but he could have provided some value that was never realized. He got his two years as a starter and he was gone.

Redshirts as a mechanism for medical issues is largely useless because there are already plenty of waivers in the NCAA bylaws for those situations. Hightower got a medical waiver and could have left after 2010. He only stayed because he couldn't get his legs all the way back that season. Hightower was eligible to participate this year but as soon as he demonstrated he could get his speed back to pre-ACL levels...he was gone. If a player needs a redshirt year to recover in addition or in lieu of a medical RS waiver, the way we recruit may dictate transferring because that player is going to get buried by guys who are developing on campus and new players entering the program.

As for Chris Black's situation, I do agree there is no reason to force his participation if we have confidence in the available players. Black should be on alert because one injury would dictate his addition into the regular rotation at this juncture. In two years we may be saying "well we should have just went ahead and played him" or in three years saying "good thing we didn't have to play him!"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The medical redshirt waiver is based only on the regular season and a player can only be eligible if he doesn't participate after the 30% mark of the season. This prevents the scenario where a player doesn't participate until midseason and gets injured from being eligible.

Also, I think people worry too much about redshirts these days. We're recruiting a level of athlete where if these guys are good enough to leave when they become eligible, they're unlikely to stay. Georgia basically wasted a year of quality play from Moreno because they redshirted him. He may have been behind their veteran backs but he could have provided some value that was never realized. He got his two years as a starter and he was gone.

Redshirts as a mechanism for medical issues is largely useless because there are already plenty of waivers in the NCAA bylaws for those situations. Hightower got a medical waiver and could have left after 2010. He only stayed because he couldn't get his legs all the way back that season. Hightower was eligible to participate this year but as soon as he demonstrated he could get his speed back to pre-ACL levels...he was gone. If a player needs a redshirt year to recover in addition or in lieu of a medical RS waiver, the way we recruit may dictate transferring because that player is going to get buried by guys who are developing on campus and new players entering the program.

As for Chris Black's situation, I do agree there is no reason to force his participation if we have confidence in the available players. Black should be on alert because one injury would dictate his addition into the regular rotation at this juncture. In two years we may be saying "well we should have just went ahead and played him" or in three years saying "good thing we didn't have to play him!"
LOL! And, with 20-20 hindsight, we'll know the answer... :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Going back to my last post...

To give an idea of how far we've come recruiting, we had two veteran OTs last season and we played Cyrus K last year simply because it was apparent he was a 3 year player. Yes, he mainly only came in as the 6th OL in jumbo packages (or when we simply wanted to beef up and grind the other team in the second half) but they got some value out of him before he was injured around the end of October. Barring something unfortunate, Cyrus is gone after starting just two years. We're getting to the point where even our elite linemen aren't safe from being 3-year players.

Right now, OL is about the only area on this team where the "use him or lose him" concept isn't the rule. Guys like Cyrus K are the exception but we're going to probably to see our fair share of exceptions given our reputation as a developer for offensive linemen. Just about every other position, we should be playing them if they can contribute. We've lost 2 CBs, 2 LBs, 1 DL, 1 OT, 1 WR, and 2 RBs before they exhausted their eligibility and are likely to lose another CB, OT, and RB this year too. QB, safety, and offensive guard are the only positions where we've seen some protection from early declaration but OG is usually a lower valued draft position, we haven't had an elite QB, and Barron could have been a first rounder after the 2010 but decided to return.

So elite, 5-star OTs are really becoming use 'em or lose 'em while interior linemen are probably still truly a developmental position. Every other position on the field is a threat for early declaration.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Going back to my last post...

To give an idea of how far we've come recruiting, we had two veteran OTs last season and we played Cyrus K last year simply because it was apparent he was a 3 year player. Yes, he mainly only came in as the 6th OL in jumbo packages (or when we simply wanted to beef up and grind the other team in the second half) but they got some value out of him before he was injured around the end of October. Barring something unfortunate, Cyrus is gone after starting just two years. We're getting to the point where even our elite linemen aren't safe from being 3-year players.

Right now, OL is about the only area on this team where the "use him or lose him" concept isn't the rule. Guys like Cyrus K are the exception but we're going to probably to see our fair share of exceptions given our reputation as a developer for offensive linemen. Just about every other position, we should be playing them if they can contribute. We've lost 2 CBs, 2 LBs, 1 DL, 1 OT, 1 WR, and 2 RBs before they exhausted their eligibility and are likely to lose another CB, OT, and RB this year too. QB, safety, and offensive guard are the only positions where we've seen some protection from early declaration but OG is usually a lower valued draft position, we haven't had an elite QB, and Barron could have been a first rounder after the 2010 but decided to return.

So elite, 5-star OTs are really becoming use 'em or lose 'em while interior linemen are probably still truly a developmental position. Every other position on the field is a threat for early declaration.
That's a good analysis. An earlier poster had said that Black didn't have the stature to declare early and I agreed at first, but, after more thought, at 5'11" or so and 200 lb, with his ability, he'll go early, barring more injury. Coop is about the same size and anyone who doesn't think he's gone early is in denial...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, a lot of NFL scouts think Cyrus Kouandjio is the best linemen on our team but he's not eligible for the draft this year. As long as something terrible doesn't happen, he's probably a top 10 draft pick next year in the NFL draft assuming he doesn't have a bad year. Given his performance as a first-year starter at LT...I wouldn't bet on it. Injuries and eligibility rules for the draft are the only thing keeping him from being a top 10 pick. He could probably go out this year and go before Fluker if it were possible.

If we have Freshmen who are legitimately competing with the veterans for snaps...the staff always leans towards playing them. Because if they're that good in year one, they won't be around in year four unless something happens on the injury front.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
When is the last time a receiver under 6 feet tall went in the first round of the draft? I hope he does go in the first round but I don't think its a lock he is a 3 and done player

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When is the last time a receiver under 6 feet tall went in the first round of the draft? I hope he does go in the first round but I don't think its a lock he is a 3 and done player
That's one good reason. When folks make blanket statements about his eligibility, I like to see some logic behind it. I do think he could go early, despite his stature, but he's got to prove it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.