Barrett Jones (NOT) still on crutches and casted; back practicing

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Barrett Jones still on crutches and casted

I have had three broken metatarsals in the last 4 years (stress fractures) and in fact toured the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza for hours on a broken foot. If an old man like me can handle it I'm sure a big young man like Barrett can as well. :tongue:

I know it hurts something awful but he has shown that he can tough it out. Still always better to be 100% when possible. :BigA:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

I have had three broken metatarsals in the last 4 years (stress fractures) and in fact toured the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza for hours on a broken foot.
Did they have a 2012 calendar hanging up anywhere there? Did you sneak a peek to let me know if I should plan anything for Saturday? :wink:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I have had three broken metatarsals in the last 4 years (stress fractures) and in fact toured the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza for hours on a broken foot. If an old man like me can handle it I'm sure a big young man like Barrett can as well. :tongue:

I know it hurts something awful but he has shown that he can tough it out. Still always better to be 100% when possible. :BigA:
Can you suit up on Jan 7th if Barrett can't go, JPT4?

:)

crimsonbear

Scout Team
Mar 19, 2001

Well, I'm due to be burned, (I hope that's by chose Earle.)

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

Cracking a metatarsal is really not that rare. I got my first fracture on one from dropping from the top of the jungle gym to the concrete in the first grade. (Lord, I hadn't thought about the accident-prone stuff starting that early.) I limped around for about six weeks before the primitive x-rays of those days (1944) showed it up. If it had been numbed, then I could have run on it. It's kind of rare to see a metatarsal completely broken in two, unless it is from something like a Fluker stomp. If he weren't going to play, we'd already know it...
Hmm..."Fluker Stomp" sounds like a great band name, or perhaps a new dance song... heh.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

Barrett will have PLENTY of time to heal by the 7th since the crack occurred on OR BEFORE the SECCG. Kids his age can heal bones so fast if they're not displaced.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

There's an article on ESPN now confirming that it's a sprained foot, not a break.

ESPN

Interesting tidbit...

Jones wasn't the only Alabama player nursing injuries during the Tide's first day of bowl practice on Tuesday. Starting nose guard Jesse Williams wore a black no-contact jersey and former starting wide receiver Kenny Bell, who broke his leg against Western Carolina, did the same. Saban said Bell has been cleared to play but his availability against Notre Dame is undetermined.
I may have missed that in one of the other threads. Cleared to play? Wow.

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL

I think coach said Bell was cleared to "do some things" in practice but it was too soon to tell if he would be available for the game. The same holds true for Jarrick Williams.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

There's an article on ESPN now confirming that it's a sprained foot, not a break.

ESPN

Interesting tidbit...

The story also says Bell broke his leg against Western Carolina, so the reporter's accuracy is questionable at best.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I think Scarborough may be a bit off in his characterization of Saban's comments. I think he was saying, or trying to say, that Bell had been cleared to participate in certain activities, but nothing more than that.

I can't imagine a situation where Bell is somehow cleared to play, yet spends the entire practice session pedaling a stationary bike with one leg, as he did yesterday afternoon.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

The coach explained it pretty well. "Cleared to play" doesn't mean they'll be able to play. All depends on what they show in practice.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I watched a video of the press conferences sometimes for reasons exactly like this...Saban clearly said he was "cleared to do some things" not "cleared for contact" or "ready to play."

When Saban has said something similar to his statement on Bell it usually means the player can run a bit and possibly do some of the drills. Either way, I imagine it is still going to be close on whether Bell gets on the field in the championship. Jarrick Williams is really the only guy who Saban made any statement about being cleared to participate. Hart, White, and Fowler are out. Barrett Jones is on target for after Christmas. Kenny Bell is going down to the wire on his full recovery.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He's still non-contact jersey; no word if he's in the boot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.