Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Saturday Evening Post to return

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...to_Phila_.html

The Saturday Evening Post, once America's most popular magazine and lately a nostalgic bimonthly found in Midwestern doctors' offices, is scheduling a return from exile in Indiana to offices near its old headquarters on Washington Square - along with its 191-year archive and, maybe, its $70 million art collection.
    Hmm...guess they are done paying off Coach Bryant and Butts. The article doesn't say why it vanished in the first place.

Mods feel free to move this to non-sports if people aren't talking about football.
    Lucky #13

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Saturday Evening Post to return

I don't see the football connection.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rtcjny View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Evening_Post

The magazine's publisher, Curtis Publishing Company, lost a landmark defamation suit, Curtis Publishing Co. v. Butts 388 U.S. 130 (1967),[5] resulting from an article, and was ordered to pay $3,060,000 in damages to the plaintiff. The Post article implied that football coaches Paul "Bear" Bryant and Wally Butts conspired to fix a game between the University of Alabama and the University of Georgia. Butts sued Curtis Publishing Co. for defamation. The case went to the Supreme Court, which held that libel damages may be recoverable (in this instance against a news organization) if the injured party is a non-public official. But the plaintiff must prove that the defendant was guilty of a reckless lack of professional standards when examining allegations for reasonable credibility.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChuck View Post
    So is this what caused them to go out of business for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    So is this what caused them to go out of business for a while?
    Not really. The reason they got into that jam in the first place was because of failing circulation, so they decided to get into muck-raking (I forget the euphemism they used). They didn't do it very well and the rest is history. It was a magazine of a different era and they face climbing the grade against print journalism dinosauring out. IOW, not a chance...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rtcjny View Post
    Let's just say it involves Furman Bisher, hating on Coach Bryant, and a lawsuit that EVERY journalism student MUST study in Media Law.

The late Lewis Grizzard worked at the Atlanta Journal under Bisher in the 1960s. Bisher was a tyrant of a newspaper guy even according to Grizzard's memoirs. They had a saying: "Bisher is unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon in that office."

To which I've long added, "But got his behind handed to him by the greatest coach of all-time."
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation First Team

A side note.....Wally Butts was Ga's AD. Johnny Griffith was the coach. He was, at the time of the game in the hospital recovering from an apadectimy(spelling).He was shown play numbers of what was heard alledgly on a phone conversation between Bryant and Butts.He said the no's meant nothing to him.I think, either the post or the AJC came out with big headline about a football fix by Furmen Bisher.
    When coach Bryant was on the stand, he was handed a paper to read....he fumbled around for his glasses but didn't have them;the judge pulled his off and handed them to coach!
    Coach Bryant said later that what he recieved (300,000) didn't come close to the suffering he and his family went through.
    I've forgotten who said this, but someone in the media said Bama didn't need any help beating Ga.
    "You don't have to have a good memory if you are truthful"

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobmack12champs View Post
    A side note.....Wally Butts was Ga's AD. Johnny Griffith was the coach. He was, at the time of the game in the hospital recovering from an apadectimy(spelling).He was shown play numbers of what was heard alledgly on a phone conversation between Bryant and Butts.He said the no's meant nothing to him.I think, either the post or the AJC came out with big headline about a football fix by Furmen Bisher.
    When coach Bryant was on the stand, he was handed a paper to read....he fumbled around for his glasses but didn't have them;the judge pulled his off and handed them to coach!
    Coach Bryant said later that what he recieved (300,000) didn't come close to the suffering he and his family went through.
    I've forgotten who said this, but someone in the media said Bama didn't need any help beating Ga.
    I was at that game. UGA would not have beaten Bama if they had known the Bama plays. That was Joe Namath's first game and if he had played UGA every Saturday his three years he would be the only three time recipient of the Heisman award. On opening night in 1964, his senior year, which was also Vince Dooley's first game as HC at UGA, he was a man playing against boys. His 3 games against UGA were probably the top 3 games of his career at Bama.
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 20th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Here is a basic summary from SI after the article appeared but before it went to trial:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5039/index.htm
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

[Let's just say it involves Furman Bisher, hating on Coach Bryant.]

I don't like speaking ill of the dead.
    So I can't say much about Furman Bisher...

The SEP's language came back to me. They said that they were "embarking on a course of sophisticated muck-raking..." BTW, allowing for inflation, $300K back then was worth far more than that sum is worth today...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The SEP's language came back to me. They said that they were "embarking on a course of sophisticated muck-raking..." BTW, allowing for inflation, $300K back then was worth far more than that sum is worth today...
    $300,000 of 1963 dollars would be worth:$2,255,639.10 in 2012

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    $300,000 of 1963 dollars would be worth:$2,255,639.10 in 2012

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php
    I knew someone would do the research...