Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Re: Saturday Evening Post to return

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I knew someone would do the research...
    Yeah I know, I've been waiting for someone to confirm or dispute Joe Namath's top 3 games at Bama that I mentioned up in post #8.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The SEP's language came back to me. They said that they were "embarking on a course of sophisticated muck-raking..." BTW, allowing for inflation, $300K back then was worth far more than that sum is worth today...
    I think this is what you were talking about:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...875103,00.html

I don't have a prescription but I saw that this morning and then you brought it up.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    I was at that game. UGA would not have beaten Bama if they had known the Bama plays. That was Joe Namath's first game and if he had played UGA every Saturday his three years he would be the only three time recipient of the Heisman award. On opening night in 1964, his senior year, which was also Vince Dooley's first game as HC at UGA, he was a man playing against boys. His 3 games against UGA were probably the top 3 games of his career at Bama.
    I was not alive, but based on the final scores it appears you are probably correct.

In 1962, Namath accounted for 215 total yards (179 passing, 36 rushing) - and he was pulled in the third quarter. This was the game of the alleged fix, won by Alabama, 35-0.

In 1964, Namath was named "Back of the Week" when he accounted for 167 yards passing and 55 rushing in a 31-3 win.

The only other game where Namath had stats that rivaled those three Georgia games was in 1964 against Tulane (the week after the UGA game), when he passed for 123. Remember - Tide mostly a rushing team back then.

I can't find numbers on 1963, but the only game where Alabama scored more points that year was the 35 points on the Vols.

So I would say it sounds you're correct.
    The queen of my heart

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    I was at that game. UGA would not have beaten Bama if they had known the Bama plays. That was Joe Namath's first game and if he had played UGA every Saturday his three years he would be the only three time recipient of the Heisman award. On opening night in 1964, his senior year, which was also Vince Dooley's first game as HC at UGA, he was a man playing against boys. His 3 games against UGA were probably the top 3 games of his career at Bama.
    I was at that game, too. There was all this anticipation of this new kid QB who was really supposed to be something. As I recall Joe lit UGA up with a big bomb early on (can't remember who the receiver was). My stepfather, who took me to the game, looked at me and said something like, 'looks like he really is going to be something.' People knew instantly that Joe was really special. If there'd been a fix on we'd have beaten them 100 - 0 except that Bear would've played only the scout team after halftime. Memories, memories...except for all the bad blood and feelings Bisher, the AJC, and SEP caused. And to think, Bisher is a renowned sports writer. He should've never been allowed to write another word after that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1958againbear View Post
    I was at that game, too. There was all this anticipation of this new kid QB who was really supposed to be something. As I recall Joe lit UGA up with a big bomb early on (can't remember who the receiver was).
    First score was with 11:46 left in the first qtr - 52-yard bomb to Richard Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958againbear View Post
    My stepfather, who took me to the game, looked at me and said something like, 'looks like he really is going to be something.' People knew instantly that Joe was really special. If there'd been a fix on we'd have beaten them 100 - 0 except that Bear would've played only the scout team after halftime. Memories, memories...except for all the bad blood and feelings Bisher, the AJC, and SEP caused. And to think, Bisher is a renowned sports writer. He should've never been allowed to write another word after that.

The queen of my heart

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    First score was with 11:46 left in the first qtr - 52-yard bomb to Richard Williamson.
    Yep. Thanks for jolting my memory. That was it. We were sitting on that side and toward that end of field. Saw it perfectly. Joe introduced himself quite quickly to the fans. No waiting around. Typical Namath style.