Saturday Evening Post to return

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.philly.com/philly/busine...rday_Evening_Post_plans_return_to_Phila_.html

The Saturday Evening Post, once America's most popular magazine and lately a nostalgic bimonthly found in Midwestern doctors' offices, is scheduling a return from exile in Indiana to offices near its old headquarters on Washington Square - along with its 191-year archive and, maybe, its $70 million art collection.
Hmm...guess they are done paying off Coach Bryant and Butts. :biggrin2: The article doesn't say why it vanished in the first place.

Mods feel free to move this to non-sports if people aren't talking about football.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see the football connection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Evening_Post

The magazine's publisher, Curtis Publishing Company, lost a landmark defamation suit, Curtis Publishing Co. v. Butts 388 U.S. 130 (1967),[5] resulting from an article, and was ordered to pay $3,060,000 in damages to the plaintiff. The Post article implied that football coaches Paul "Bear" Bryant and Wally Butts conspired to fix a game between the University of Alabama and the University of Georgia. Butts sued Curtis Publishing Co. for defamation. The case went to the Supreme Court, which held that libel damages may be recoverable (in this instance against a news organization) if the injured party is a non-public official. But the plaintiff must prove that the defendant was guilty of a reckless lack of professional standards when examining allegations for reasonable credibility.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So is this what caused them to go out of business for a while?
Not really. The reason they got into that jam in the first place was because of failing circulation, so they decided to get into muck-raking (I forget the euphemism they used). They didn't do it very well and the rest is history. It was a magazine of a different era and they face climbing the grade against print journalism dinosauring out. IOW, not a chance...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't see the football connection.
Let's just say it involves Furman Bisher, hating on Coach Bryant, and a lawsuit that EVERY journalism student MUST study in Media Law.

The late Lewis Grizzard worked at the Atlanta Journal under Bisher in the 1960s. Bisher was a tyrant of a newspaper guy even according to Grizzard's memoirs. They had a saying: "Bisher is unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon in that office."

To which I've long added, "But got his behind handed to him by the greatest coach of all-time."

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
A side note.....Wally Butts was Ga's AD. Johnny Griffith was the coach. He was, at the time of the game in the hospital recovering from an apadectimy(spelling).He was shown play numbers of what was heard alledgly on a phone conversation between Bryant and Butts.He said the no's meant nothing to him.I think, either the post or the AJC came out with big headline about a football fix by Furmen Bisher.
When coach Bryant was on the stand, he was handed a paper to read....he fumbled around for his glasses but didn't have them;the judge pulled his off and handed them to coach!
Coach Bryant said later that what he recieved (300,000) didn't come close to the suffering he and his family went through.
I've forgotten who said this, but someone in the media said Bama didn't need any help beating Ga.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
A side note.....Wally Butts was Ga's AD. Johnny Griffith was the coach. He was, at the time of the game in the hospital recovering from an apadectimy(spelling).He was shown play numbers of what was heard alledgly on a phone conversation between Bryant and Butts.He said the no's meant nothing to him.I think, either the post or the AJC came out with big headline about a football fix by Furmen Bisher.
When coach Bryant was on the stand, he was handed a paper to read....he fumbled around for his glasses but didn't have them;the judge pulled his off and handed them to coach!
Coach Bryant said later that what he recieved (300,000) didn't come close to the suffering he and his family went through.
I've forgotten who said this, but someone in the media said Bama didn't need any help beating Ga.
I was at that game. UGA would not have beaten Bama if they had known the Bama plays. That was Joe Namath's first game and if he had played UGA every Saturday his three years he would be the only three time recipient of the Heisman award. On opening night in 1964, his senior year, which was also Vince Dooley's first game as HC at UGA, he was a man playing against boys. His 3 games against UGA were probably the top 3 games of his career at Bama.

Last edited:

spiguy

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 14, 2006
[Let's just say it involves Furman Bisher, hating on Coach Bryant.]

I don't like speaking ill of the dead.
So I can't say much about Furman Bisher...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The SEP's language came back to me. They said that they were "embarking on a course of sophisticated muck-raking..." BTW, allowing for inflation, $300K back then was worth far more than that sum is worth today...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was at that game. UGA would not have beaten Bama if they had known the Bama plays. That was Joe Namath's first game and if he had played UGA every Saturday his three years he would be the only three time recipient of the Heisman award. On opening night in 1964, his senior year, which was also Vince Dooley's first game as HC at UGA, he was a man playing against boys. His 3 games against UGA were probably the top 3 games of his career at Bama.
I was not alive, but based on the final scores it appears you are probably correct.

In 1962, Namath accounted for 215 total yards (179 passing, 36 rushing) - and he was pulled in the third quarter. This was the game of the alleged fix, won by Alabama, 35-0.

In 1964, Namath was named "Back of the Week" when he accounted for 167 yards passing and 55 rushing in a 31-3 win.

The only other game where Namath had stats that rivaled those three Georgia games was in 1964 against Tulane (the week after the UGA game), when he passed for 123. Remember - Tide mostly a rushing team back then.

I can't find numbers on 1963, but the only game where Alabama scored more points that year was the 35 points on the Vols.

So I would say it sounds you're correct.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I was at that game, too. There was all this anticipation of this new kid QB who was really supposed to be something. As I recall Joe lit UGA up with a big bomb early on (can't remember who the receiver was). My stepfather, who took me to the game, looked at me and said something like, 'looks like he really is going to be something.' People knew instantly that Joe was really special. If there'd been a fix on we'd have beaten them 100 - 0 except that Bear would've played only the scout team after halftime. Memories, memories...except for all the bad blood and feelings Bisher, the AJC, and SEP caused. And to think, Bisher is a renowned sports writer. He should've never been allowed to write another word after that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was at that game, too. There was all this anticipation of this new kid QB who was really supposed to be something. As I recall Joe lit UGA up with a big bomb early on (can't remember who the receiver was).
First score was with 11:46 left in the first qtr - 52-yard bomb to Richard Williamson.

My stepfather, who took me to the game, looked at me and said something like, 'looks like he really is going to be something.' People knew instantly that Joe was really special. If there'd been a fix on we'd have beaten them 100 - 0 except that Bear would've played only the scout team after halftime. Memories, memories...except for all the bad blood and feelings Bisher, the AJC, and SEP caused. And to think, Bisher is a renowned sports writer. He should've never been allowed to write another word after that.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
First score was with 11:46 left in the first qtr - 52-yard bomb to Richard Williamson.
Yep. Thanks for jolting my memory. That was it. We were sitting on that side and toward that end of field. Saw it perfectly. Joe introduced himself quite quickly to the fans. No waiting around. Typical Namath style.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.