We keep having other SEC fanbases suggest that OU could be a possible addition to the the SEC west division. Curious about the Bama fans thoughts on such a possibility?
My own thoughts from an Aggie perspective and what we learned with all the recent Big12-2-1-1+2 turmoil are as follows:
1. The Oklahoma legislature is very unlikely to allow OU and OSU to migrate to different conferences. They insist that if OU departs that OSU have a secure landing spot and they do not consider the Big12-1-1+2 without OU a secure spot. Not likely to take one without the other. OU inquired in 2011 with the PAC and was told that they would be welcomed but only without OSU tagging along.
2. Oklahoma population is ranked 28th with 3.5M residents and growing. Ahead of Mississippi, Arkansas and not too far below Kentucky. Largest TV markets are OKC which is ranked 41st in country and Tulsa which is ranked 59th in country. Brand is good... but would it expand SEC TV footprint enough to justify dilution of TV revenue sharing? This compares to North Carolina ranked 11th with 8.6M population and Virginia ranked 12th with 7.6M population.
3. Big 12-1-1+2 supposedly has a 14 year grant of tier one media rights meaning that members are chained together unless something like 40% of schools leave. However, much of contract terms are redacted in the FOIA requests.
4. OU and OSU have very good football programs and OU is a solid brand. State is probably split 70% OU to 30% OSU from a tshirt fan perspective. Both schools could be a tough out in any given year. Both have very reputable basketball programs and baseball programs as well.
5. To the extent that academics matter in all of this...OU is ranked 101st by US News and OSU is ranked 139th and neither are members of the AAU.
My personal conclusion is that targets on eastern side of the conference seem to make much more sense from an economic perspective and that the western division currently has plenty of athletic respect and that little would be accomplished with the addition of these two.
What are Bama fans' thoughts on any possibility of OU/OSU in the SEC west division at some point in the future? Although not likely possible, would you want OU without OSU if you could get them?