Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Alabama Fans Thoughts on Possibility of OU to the SEC

I think it would result in an eight team playoff system for the NC. The only problem is it would all be taking place in the SEC...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Alabama Fans Thoughts on Possibility of OU to the SEC

Please! No!!!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I'd love to see OU and OSU in the SEC but I rather see Texas and OU.

I think the four major conferences are going to 16 teams each with a playoff system, like it or not.

OU may not be in as populated a state as North Carolina, but the SEC is a football conference and North Carolina is a basketball school. Football fans nationwide would love to see an annual Bama/OU game. Texas rarely beats OU and the Red River Shootout is often the Red River Blowout.

If I wanted to add a team to the SEC my first call would be to Notre Dame. Of course they wouldn't take it, but they'd get the first call.
    ...so why boost their ego even more by making the call and providing them with the opportunity to turn it down?

I still like the idea of a conference with some geographical and cultural cohesion. I am a Southerner and I identify with the SEC. There ain't much South beyond east Texas and Arkansas. A&M is be working out just fine but Missouri has been a bit of a reach. The longhorns don't/won't ever fit with any conference and Oklahoma will be just another black hole to siphon off talent that they can't produce internally. If we must expand to 16, go east.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine Free Sta View Post
    I still like the idea of a conference with some geographical and cultural cohesion. I am a Southerner and I identify with the SEC. There ain't much South beyond east Texas and Arkansas. A&M is be working out just fine but Missouri has been a bit of a reach. The longhorns don't/won't ever fit with any conference and Oklahoma will be just another black hole to siphon off talent that they can't produce internally. If we must expand to 16, go east.
    I tend to agree with this...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

I would love to see us add UNC or NC State and UVA or VaTech if we're going to expand. Then slide Mizzou back to the west (an issue that drives me nuts) and things are more balanced all around. Then the ACC can pluck UConn and Cincy to (partially) right the ship after our raid. I'd prefer UNC and VaTech, but I imagine it would be difficult to pull UNC out of the ACC. NC State has a bit of the aTm little brother issue and might be more inclined to leave for greener (pun intended) pastures.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    I would love to see us add UNC or NC State and UVA or VaTech if we're going to expand. Then slide Mizzou back to the west (an issue that drives me nuts) and things are more balanced all around. Then the ACC can pluck UConn and Cincy to (partially) right the ship after our raid. I'd prefer UNC and VaTech, but I imagine it would be difficult to pull UNC out of the ACC. NC State has a bit of the aTm little brother issue and might be more inclined to leave for greener (pun intended) pastures.
    I think UVA and UNC will end up in the Big10 leaving the SEC to bring in VaTech and NC State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think it would result in an eight team playoff system for the NC. The only problem is it would all be taking place in the SEC...
    I agree, Earle the 4 team playoff will have a short shelf life. An 8 team playoff with 2 teams from each of the 4, 16 team mega conferences is where it is heading.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think that ship has sailed. Any opportunity that OU had to join the SEC was out the window when their president, David Boren, blew us off last yr with his public comments and tried to make the bogus argument that our conference did not have sufficient academic standards and used it as cover to avoid accepting an invitation. Add to that they will never decouple from Texas. Many wealthy OU alumni live in Texas, with many of them involved in the petroleum industry, and they would not allow anything to happen that might affect the RRS. Look for us to expand eastward next, probably with schools from the state of Virginia and/or North Carolina.

All that being said, I think the overwhelming majority of th OU fanbase would absolutely love for their school to be in the SEC.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; December 20th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I agree, Earle the 4 team playoff will have a short shelf life. An 8 team playoff with 2 teams from each of the 4, 16 team mega conferences is where it is heading.
    But but but Notre Dame????

So which one of the big 5 in your scenario (which I happen to believe as well) does not survive? I assume big east is dead man walkin already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

No way OU wants any part of the SECW.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

[QUOTE=Snuffy Smith;2067729]But but but Notre Dame????

So which one of the big 5 in your scenario (which I happen to believe as well) does not survive? I assume big east is dead man walkin already.

Obviously the Big East is history. The SEC, B1G, PAC# for sure. The ACC and Big XII, after desertions, will cobble together a new conference plus maybe ND. I could see actually 65 teams, 4 X 16 plus the domers.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American

Would love to see OU and Ok. St. in the SEC. Tough competition only makes us stronger.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.