Alabama Fans Thoughts on Possibility of OU to the SEC

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Simply put, I do not believe the SEC PTBs will make the outrageous mistake of adding OU. Small-population state (compared to other possible SEC additions) so not much value for cable subscriptions. And the SEC doesn't need another gorilla. NC and VA should be the target states IF there is to be more expansion sometime in the future. No hurry though.
Oklahoma has more TV's than Mississippi or Arkansas. However, the bigger point is OU is a national brand just like Alabama. People will watch the Sooners in good and bad years. ALL of Texas will watch the hated Sooners in hopes of seeing them lose. I can't remember the opponent in the last UNC or UVa game I watched. The last Sooner game I watched was against Notre Dame and I suspect nationally that game garnered a lot more attention than a UNC or UVa vs. Notre Dame would have gotten.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
It is 680 miles from Tuscaloosa to Charlottesville, Virginia. It is 708 miles to Norman.
Not only that but Charlottesville > Norman.

TRUST ME. I lived in Oklahoma for a year, and now I live in the Shenandoah Valley. Oklahoma is a hole. This part of the country is gorgeous.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Oklahoma has more TV's than Mississippi or Arkansas. However, the bigger point is OU is a national brand just like Alabama. People will watch the Sooners in good and bad years. ALL of Texas will watch the hated Sooners in hopes of seeing them lose. I can't remember the opponent in the last UNC or UVa game I watched. The last Sooner game I watched was against Notre Dame and I suspect nationally that game garnered a lot more attention than a UNC or UVa vs. Notre Dame would have gotten.
Oklahoma started off as a highly ranked team. They played Notre Dame, and mind you both were highly ranked at the time. I'm not sure exactly what the ratings were but they fell below Alabama vs. LSU, A&M, and Georgia along with Notre Dame vs. USC.

Oklahoma's strong point is broadcast and judging by the ratings numbers I've seen over the past few years they are not all that impressive at that. Once you start looking at a network they become worth far less. North Carolina is worth far more than they are to a conference for numerous reasons. Oklahoma was valuable back when it was just a network deal to be considered.

So, what is Oklahoma bad at? Making their own decision. Providing recruits (they are a net drain, the FBS programs need more than the state produces). TV sets. Not making the SEC's SoS insane.

The window for them really offering anything was before A&M joined. Now? They are a horrible fit. North Carolina's basketball program would be worth more than Oklahoma's football program to a network. That's not counting the huge difference in population/potential subscribers (the SEC is already in Texas so it's absurd to add Oklahoma to get into Texas). That's just one example but oh yeah... North Carolina is less likely to result in an SEC team limping on the field.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Does the state of Alabama produce 125 recruits every year for our five FBS teams?
What kind of question is that?
A: Alabama is already in the SEC.
B: Three of Alabama's FBS programs are football welfare programs that only came to be at this level after the 85 scholarship limit. This is not the case for Oklahoma's two programs.
C: Why in the heck would any Alabama fans want another Alabama in the conference?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Oklahoma started off as a highly ranked team. They played Notre Dame, and mind you both were highly ranked at the time. I'm not sure exactly what the ratings were but they fell below Alabama vs. LSU, A&M, and Georgia along with Notre Dame vs. USC.

Oklahoma's strong point is broadcast and judging by the ratings numbers I've seen over the past few years they are not all that impressive at that. Once you start looking at a network they become worth far less. North Carolina is worth far more than they are to a conference for numerous reasons. Oklahoma was valuable back when it was just a network deal to be considered.

So, what is Oklahoma bad at? Making their own decision. Providing recruits (they are a net drain, the FBS programs need more than the state produces). TV sets. Not making the SEC's SoS insane.

The window for them really offering anything was before A&M joined. Now? They are a horrible fit. North Carolina's basketball program would be worth more than Oklahoma's football program to a network. That's not counting the huge difference in population/potential subscribers (the SEC is already in Texas so it's absurd to add Oklahoma to get into Texas). That's just one example but oh yeah... North Carolina is less likely to result in an SEC team limping on the field.
Here is a link to the TV ratings for this past season: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...tv-ratings-for-almost-every-game-this-season/

UNC is on the list twice and Virginia three times. Oklahoma is on the list eight times.

I'm not buying that UNC basketball is worth more than OU football. Football revenue dwarfs basketball revenue. The 20 biggest money makers in college sports: http://www.businessinsider.com/thes...grams-are-the-biggest-moneymakers-2012-1?op=1

Are there any highly rated basketball games before the NCAA Tournament?

If you Google "which college football program has the largest fan base?" I think you'll be surprised. It's not Bama, but it's not Notre Dame either!:BigA:

I agree that North Carolina and Virginia are better recruiting areas than Oklahoma. I'm not sure of the relevance of OU not being able to make a decision. They play in a league owned by Texas and have no more choice than aTm had when in the Big 12.

Merry Christmas to all. Roll Tide.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Here is a link to the TV ratings for this past season: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...tv-ratings-for-almost-every-game-this-season/

UNC is on the list twice and Virginia three times. Oklahoma is on the list eight times.

I'm not buying that UNC basketball is worth more than OU football. Football revenue dwarfs basketball revenue. The 20 biggest money makers in college sports: http://www.businessinsider.com/thes...grams-are-the-biggest-moneymakers-2012-1?op=1

If you Google "which college football program has the largest fan base?" I think you'll be surprised. It's not Bama, but it's not Notre Dame either!:BigA:

I agree that North Carolina and Virginia are better recruiting areas than Oklahoma. I'm not sure of the relevance of OU not being able to make a decision. They play in a league owned by Texas and have no more choice than aTm had when in the Big 12.

UNC basketball is more valuable than Oklahoma football to the SEC where basketball NEEDS a boost while football has reached a point kinda like a pressure cooker ready to explode. Adding another major football power would just be insane. Any further expansion without the state of North Carolina with either the Tar Heels or NC St. IMHO would be a foolish endeavor.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Demographics and economics suggest that if the SEC was to expand to 16 teams, it would most likely look in southern and/or coastal regions, since that is where most of the population (and economic activity) is moving. While there is a "gentlemen's agreement that the conference will not take a school from a state that already has an SEC program, that might have to be set aside in the face of reality.

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State would be the most attractive candidates because of rapidly growing population centers in those states, along with more rapid economic growth and greater TV markets.

I'm not saying that smart business decisions are driving any future expansion. It's just that if they do look to expand again, they'll take a hard look at the patterns and the data and maybe the "gentlemen's agreement" goes the way of the Big East.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

So what's Louisville doing that Kentucky is not? $40M vs. $18M. Same state to boot. No one else in the country comes close.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is football ratings. I've poured over the numbers for years. We're talking about the SEC. If this was the Big East, MWC, C-USA, MAC, etc... Oklahoma would be the better addition simply because those conferences have a need for a top football "brand". The SEC has all the football brands it can sustain at this point, basically you can only diminish one brand in place of another. So, if Oklahoma was to join that would only damage the Arkansas, LSU, A&M, or Oklahoma brand. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you can't take the top teams from the Southwest, SEC, and Big 8 and throw them in a conference together and expect all the teams accustomed to being in the top 3 of their conference to remain that way. It's simple math. I've seen times people here heavily disparaged Arkansas, and even A&M and that is because both suffered from a powerful conference that pushed them below their traditional levels. They are historically top 20 teams, but when two of them play each other, one still has to lose.

I've looked up numbers, and North Carolina's tier 3 revenue exceeds Alabama's, and of the disclosed schools was #1. Tier three is what would become SEC Network content. The trick is that basketball has more tier three games, so if you are as high profile as North Carolina's basketball program you offer up a lot of great network content. On top of that, they are in a much larger state, so they can bring in much more in subscriber revenue. Basically, they would be the best content provider and additionally they would bring in one of the largest subscriber bases.

That leads into CullmanTide's point. The SEC could benefit from a basketball brand without upsetting anything. They are lacking in national basketball brands and UNC would really drive up interest. This means when it comes time to negotiate broadcast and cable deals they would still be adding because not only do they bring in a larger regional footprint, but they make the SEC basketball games more valuable. So, when you add it all together it isn't just that North Carolina is more valuable to a network, it's that they are much more valuable to the SEC. The truth is for the existing SEC programs, Oklahoma could be a net drain. They could damage existing football brands, and drain football talent. North Carolina? There are plenty of recruits, they are highly unlikely to damage existing brands, they would help the network, broadcast deals, etc...

Notre Dame is a different equation (and even more unrealistic), because of a few factors. They are one of the few football powers out there that I think could actually improve the SEC's welfare. Otherwise, basketball schools are the way to go. Can you imagine the lunacy of a playoff with automatic entrants from four super-conferences and the SEC having half of the top programs? The other conferences would be giggling their way to a playoff, and the SEC would be happy it was automatic at all or else their brutal schedule might create a mess of 3 and 4 loss teams.

So what's Louisville doing that Kentucky is not? $40M vs. $18M. Same state to boot. No one else in the country comes close.
I believe the Big East only shares football revenue. So, Louisville was running an elite basketball program with 0 revenue sharing. North Carolina and Kentucky have to share everything but tier 3. It's just a reminder that yes, the elite level basketball schools do generate a reasonable amount of revenue.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
What kind of question is that?
A: Alabama is already in the SEC.
B: Three of Alabama's FBS programs are football welfare programs that only came to be at this level after the 85 scholarship limit. This is not the case for Oklahoma's two programs.
C: Why in the heck would any Alabama fans want another Alabama in the conference?
A. You mentioned Oklahoma's drain on the body count.
B. Oklahoma has three FBS teams. (Tulsa).
C. I like challenges. Why do you want another crappy football program? You keep pushing for Notre Dame, wouldn't they be a tough opponent every year as well?

To be honest, I was happy at 12 and really don't want anyone else. I don't see UNC being the financial bonanza you do as TV sets there are divided between more than two schools.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't want them to lose at all. But I'd rather see them play Oklahoma than North Carolina. Why do you want the basketball team to lose more often?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't want them to lose at all. But I'd rather see them play Oklahoma than North Carolina. Why do you want the basketball team to lose more often?
Because the football team would win more often. You and I both know that Alabama's national championship hopes are far greater in football than basketball.

So it's the whole, I loved the Georgia game and want every game to be like that, huh? Entertainment value fans?

Look, it's pretty simple. The more games like that, the more games Alabama loses. The more games like that, the more injuries. That's all there is to it. I understand the entertainment value, but I could care less. I'd love Alabama to win every game, by a huge blowout and every game to be boring as heck. That's because my interest as a fan is not in being entertained.

Sure, put Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Texas, and Florida St, on the schedule. They'll fit. And enjoy watching Alabama never go to the national championship game. But, on the bright side you'll enjoy watching the train wreck take place...

dave12

All-SEC
Dec 14, 2002
hueytown, al. usa
I wouldn't want them in the SEC personally. The West is already tough enough as it is with Bama, LSU, Arky (most years), Auburn (most years), and aTm with Ole Miss and MSU on the rise. Throw that schedule in with getting paired up with UT, UF, UGA, or USCe from the East, and your team is on murderer's row without worrying about an OU team to boot.
I agree with you, Plus OU had their chance and didn't take it. But if the SEC is after more money, then Virginia schools, or NC schools are much larger markets.

RTR:BigA:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is headed to 16 team conferences whether we like it or not (I was for staying at 12). My picks would be UNC and UVA, but IMO both of those schools will hang with some version of a new ACC or jump to the Big 10. As davefrat said, they would join the Ivy League before considering the SEC. With all of the potential movement and realignment there may wind up being 5 conferences wih 16 teams rather than 4.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.