Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Alabama Fans Thoughts on Possibility of OU to the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA JAMMA View Post
    Nobody is going to travel to Oklahoma. Texas Tech and Mizz are far enough. I'd much rather pick up a Virginia and an FSU (won't happen) and then shuffle the divisions up.
    It is 680 miles from Tuscaloosa to Charlottesville, Virginia. It is 708 miles to Norman.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...578&forum_id=5

The Kentucky Mustangs poster in this thread has some interesting posts any time something big happens in college football. His feeling is that the SEC looks to UNC and UVA for expansion. Despite how you may feel about the board, this thread is a good read.

To the OP....I don't see what OU offers the SEC. I would have rather had OU than Missouri but that deal is done. One thing that I truly believe is that OU and Texas fail to realize just how little anyone outside of OK/TX really cares about either of them. They are huge fish in their own little pond and I know Texas has tons of $$ but I think they both may have hurt themselves by staying in the B1G.
    Read his posts again. He makes no sense. he talks of the BIG and SEC adding to get to 12 when we are beyond that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Wouldn't OU first have to have their lips surgically removed from the Longhorn's arse?
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Simply put, I do not believe the SEC PTBs will make the outrageous mistake of adding OU. Small-population state (compared to other possible SEC additions) so not much value for cable subscriptions. And the SEC doesn't need another gorilla. NC and VA should be the target states IF there is to be more expansion sometime in the future. No hurry though.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

If everyone joins the SEC whom are we going to play against in the BCS title game. Wait we already started doing that last year.

The whole country will eventually have to join the SEC in order to get over the fatigue.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    If they were to leave the Big XII, I think their best spot would be the Big Ten. They'd be able to revive the Nebraska rivalry and they feel more like a midwestern team than a southern one. They also have wrestling, a big sport in the Big Ten.
    agreed.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

uva will join the ivy league before it joins the sec.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't see what is so great about the Tar Heels. Yes, they are the flagship school in the state, but it is a state that is focused on basketball. Even then, the state's attention is divided among them and three other ACC schools. They will add very little in football.

Also, I think both them and Virginia think they are too good to associate themselves with us cousin marrying hicks of the SEC.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFossil View Post
    Simply put, I do not believe the SEC PTBs will make the outrageous mistake of adding OU. Small-population state (compared to other possible SEC additions) so not much value for cable subscriptions. And the SEC doesn't need another gorilla. NC and VA should be the target states IF there is to be more expansion sometime in the future. No hurry though.
    Oklahoma has more TV's than Mississippi or Arkansas. However, the bigger point is OU is a national brand just like Alabama. People will watch the Sooners in good and bad years. ALL of Texas will watch the hated Sooners in hopes of seeing them lose. I can't remember the opponent in the last UNC or UVa game I watched. The last Sooner game I watched was against Notre Dame and I suspect nationally that game garnered a lot more attention than a UNC or UVa vs. Notre Dame would have gotten.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    It is 680 miles from Tuscaloosa to Charlottesville, Virginia. It is 708 miles to Norman.
    Not only that but Charlottesville > Norman.

TRUST ME. I lived in Oklahoma for a year, and now I live in the Shenandoah Valley. Oklahoma is a hole. This part of the country is gorgeous.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Oklahoma has more TV's than Mississippi or Arkansas. However, the bigger point is OU is a national brand just like Alabama. People will watch the Sooners in good and bad years. ALL of Texas will watch the hated Sooners in hopes of seeing them lose. I can't remember the opponent in the last UNC or UVa game I watched. The last Sooner game I watched was against Notre Dame and I suspect nationally that game garnered a lot more attention than a UNC or UVa vs. Notre Dame would have gotten.
    Oklahoma started off as a highly ranked team. They played Notre Dame, and mind you both were highly ranked at the time. I'm not sure exactly what the ratings were but they fell below Alabama vs. LSU, A&M, and Georgia along with Notre Dame vs. USC.

Oklahoma's strong point is broadcast and judging by the ratings numbers I've seen over the past few years they are not all that impressive at that. Once you start looking at a network they become worth far less. North Carolina is worth far more than they are to a conference for numerous reasons. Oklahoma was valuable back when it was just a network deal to be considered.

So, what is Oklahoma bad at? Making their own decision. Providing recruits (they are a net drain, the FBS programs need more than the state produces). TV sets. Not making the SEC's SoS insane.

The window for them really offering anything was before A&M joined. Now? They are a horrible fit. North Carolina's basketball program would be worth more than Oklahoma's football program to a network. That's not counting the huge difference in population/potential subscribers (the SEC is already in Texas so it's absurd to add Oklahoma to get into Texas). That's just one example but oh yeah... North Carolina is less likely to result in an SEC team limping on the field.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    uva will join the ivy league before it joins the sec.
    This ^^^^^^^
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Does the state of Alabama produce 125 recruits every year for our five FBS teams?