Proposed constitutional amendment on the natonal debt.

Nate Harris

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Belle Mina, AL
Nate, that is why the sponsors of the measure have taken the approach of an Article V Convention, bypassing Congress.
Bills calling for an Article V Convention have passed North Dakota and Louisiana, and have sponsors in dozens of other states. In Alabama and Virginia, the bill still lacks a sponsor in the state legislature.
So we're gonna just put the entire Constitution up for a rewrite? Have a convention where you throw all sorts of amendments out there willy-nilly? You do realize that's what an article 5 convention is, don't you? This is really hilarious, great fantasy.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So we're gonna just put the entire Constitution up for a rewrite? Have a convention where you throw all sorts of amendments out there willy-nilly? You do realize that's what an article 5 convention is, don't you? This is really hilarious, great fantasy.
There is some debate on that, whether the states can instruct their delegates to consider this amendment only.
Of course, the precedent from Philadelphia in 1787 was that a convention, once convened, can propose whatever suits its fancy, since what comes out of it will be sent back to the people of the states for ratification. You are not afraid of the people, are you?

Still, the call for a convention has passed two states (ND & LA) and the bill calling for the amendment has prime sponsors in twenty-six states.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
While I see this as an attempt at a check & balance, I just get the sense it would end up being nothing more than a hurdle for politicians to jump through and all they'd end up doing is making backroom deals that end up in MORE pork spending.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Last week, North Dakota passed a call for a convention of the states to draft amendments (or an amendment) to the Constitution.
27 states have now done so. When 34 states make such a call, Congress must (i.e. no option) call a convention. Then the state legislatures or state conventions (Congress gets to say which) consider the amendment(s). When 38 states ratify, the amendment(s) becomes part of the Constitution, whether the Federal government likes it or not.

The following have passed resolutions:
Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

States still outstanding:
Arizona
Idaho
Kentucky
Montana
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Left-Statist Democrats are probably soiling themselves over the possibility.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I would think Idaho, Montana, Oklahoma, & South Carolina will join the party very shortly. Then three more will need to hitch a ride. I would think Arizona would be the most likely other candidate. The rest are a toss up.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would think Idaho, Montana, Oklahoma, & South Carolina will join the party very shortly. Then three more will need to hitch a ride. I would think Arizona would be the most likely other candidate. The rest are a toss up.
I believe that the Old Dominion will join in the not-too-distant future.
The General Assembly has a Republican majority.
I'm not sure out carpetbagger governor can stop them.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I believe that the Old Dominion will join in the not-too-distant future.
The General Assembly has a Republican majority.
I'm not sure out carpetbagger governor can stop them.
Maybe they could just go ahead and authorize the Bama tags as a further statement of defiance! :)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
These are interesting times Tidewater,

Not to worry, John Boehner will do it right.

Even with Michigan recently becoming the 34th state to call for a Constitutional Convention, it's not at all certain that a rewrite of the nation's founding document is close at hand.
House Speaker John Boehner is reviewing whether the action by Michigan has triggered the constitutional mandate that Congress call such a convention.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/constitutional-convention-Boehner-balanced-budget/2014/04/11/id/565155/

Note that this article is a year old!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
These are interesting times Tidewater,

Not to worry, John Boehner will do it right.

Even with Michigan recently becoming the 34th state to call for a Constitutional Convention, it's not at all certain that a rewrite of the nation's founding document is close at hand.
House Speaker John Boehner is reviewing whether the action by Michigan has triggered the constitutional mandate that Congress call such a convention.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/constitutional-convention-Boehner-balanced-budget/2014/04/11/id/565155/

Note that this article is a year old!

Boehner is not my favorite politician. (All my favorites are dead.)
It will be funny when people realize that an Article V convention will change the way business is conducted in Washington, and Washington will have no control over it at all.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Boehner is not my favorite politician. (All my favorites are dead.)
It will be funny when people realize that an Article V convention will change the way business is conducted in Washington, and Washington will have no control over it at all.
LOL. Were they all buried in gray uniforms?:biggrin:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
So the plan is to convince two-thirds of Congress members to just give away a power of Congress.

The lobbying will go something like this. "Mr. Congressman, since you're not responsible enough to handle debt you should vote to let someone else do it who is more responsible than you are."

And he'll say, "By golly, you're RIGHT!"

What a darling little fantasy this is.
Article 5 baby. The states can theoretically bypass Congress and tell Congress to go to hell. It's about time. Most people don't even know what the framers were talking about (Convention of the States). This is the last recourse for states if you get an out of control federal govt. that is irresponsible, overreaching, non-responsive or all of the above.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

NO!!! That's precisely the mistake most people make when interpreting this amendment. It basically does what the Senate was supposed to do until the progressives bastardized the Senate and made it a popular vote. The Senate was a wasy for states to have some say in Congress. Now they have none. This would give it back to them. We are a FEDERAL system after all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.