Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Good article on Maurice Clarett

http://deadspin.com/5967649/how-maur...ium=socialflow

Good to see him getting his life together. To bad it only took prison to do it. Pretty juicy stuff in the article.
    I took golf, fishing, and softball as classes," Clarett says. "Away from class, anything you can think of I did in my 13 months at Ohio State." Drugs and women were two of the things. Cars were another—he owned three of them at a time, including a brand-new Cadillac and Lexus. "I was living the NFL life in college," he says. "I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."
    to 16 and beyond........

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American KanBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good article on Maurice Clarett

One would hope that the NCAA would verify the "Paid more in College than the UFL" statement.
    Avatar is a picture of me and my High School running buddy's enjoying a Bama game

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Good article on Maurice Clarett

Pure waste of talent! Listened to the wrong people, and now not listening at all. But he may be speaking the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article...I wish him the best on his new road.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also indicates the usual NCAA attitude toward THE ohio state university. Don't ask too many questions, don't look too closely, keep your ear closed...after all osu would never do anythhing wrong. Unless I am mistaken the previous coach at osu (the vest) wais banned from all contact with THE u for 5 years...yet he was honored at halftime this year & carried from the field. NCAA?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

The NCAA's selective "hear no evil, see no evil" that they apply to certain schools didn't seem serve Clarett too well in the long run.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody knew Ohio State was the dirtiest program in college football outside of USC. They made little effort to hide it and they got zero punishment for what was going on then. I'm not sure why they finally stepped in to shut down the money train. I guess it had just gotten to obvious and they felt they had to do something.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

the UFL is still around? i thought it had bombed out already.
    There are two rules in life:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    Everybody knew Ohio State was the dirtiest program in college football outside of USC. They made little effort to hide it and they got zero punishment for what was going on then. I'm not sure why they finally stepped in to shut down the money train. I guess it had just gotten to obvious and they felt they had to do something.
    Stepped in to stop the "money train"? We were busted because players were selling/trading their own stuff, which was/is against NCAA rules. We were not busted for paying players - that was not even a suggestion in the investigation. Tressel was busted for trying to cover it up.

Not making excuses - we broke the rules and have to accept the punishment - but we were not busted for paying players. Whether or not the NCAA should have this kind of power is another story. I hate the NCAA, so am biased, but I'd like to see the entire organization disbanded.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Stepped in to stop the "money train"? We were busted because players were selling/trading their own stuff, which was/is against NCAA rules. We were not busted for paying players - that was not even a suggestion in the investigation. Tressel was busted for trying to cover it up.

Not making excuses - we broke the rules and have to accept the punishment - but we were not busted for paying players. Whether or not the NCAA should have this kind of power is another story. I hate the NCAA, so am biased, but I'd like to see the entire organization disbanded.
    Y'all be cheatin. And you got the perfect guy to continue it. Unless he has a heart palpitation after a loss to Brady Hoke.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post

I hesitated posting this, with you in mind. And you are right, CJT was never linked to any ' play for pay' violations. that doesn't mean it did not happen. I am not naive enough to think nothing has ever happened at the U of A. Clarett got money from some where as evidenced by his new cars.
    to 16 and beyond........

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I have to say this. The NCAA will go after the Big 10 and Pac-12 schools, but they employ a three strikes and you are out policy. There was a lot going on at Ohio State before they finally hit them (not all that hard mind you) for the whole improper benefits thing. There were a few incidents that popped up and it was obvious was had been going on. Ohio State managed to suspend the players, or kick them off the team and it was like it never happened. Alabama suspended players for the textbook thing, and still got hit pretty hard over textbooks! There was a clear double standard.

USC was dirty, everyone knew they were dirty. It has been going on for a while with plenty of evidence. Finally, after incident after incident the NCAA decided to hit them. It's upsetting to us Alabama fans because we know any issue, anything, textbooks, a payer being paid for without his knowing or Alabama being involved, any of that is enough to trow Alabama under the bus. It annoys us to see how much other schools can get away with, especially the two conferences that stood up for their beloved NCAA and in doing so seemed to have been favored.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I hesitated posting this, with you in mind. And you are right, CJT was never linked to any ' play for pay' violations. that doesn't mean it did not happen. I am not naive enough to think nothing has ever happened at the U of A. Clarett got money from some where as evidenced by his new cars.
    I don't doubt that Clarett got money from boosters, just as I don't doubt that just about every great player at the big schools always have. My point was only about what we got busted for. If the NCAA shut down every school that had boosters "helping" players, we would all be left watching FCS football.