LSU Punter Brad Wing Suspended For Chick-fil-A Bowl; Going Pro

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Re: LSU Punter Brad Wing Suspended For Chick-fil-A Bowl

That culture exists throughout the college ranks. It's not an LSU problem.
It's not really a problem period. The NCAA/Universities should stop with the minor-league DEA stuff.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

That sucks for him. They just need to do a drug test for the ENTIRE team. Then again LSU would be forced to forfeit due to half of the team failing.
I don't think you'd like the results if they tested the entire Alabama team.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

Nah. State laws and NCAA rules are hardly concurrent.
The NCAA isn't the one who hands out the weed penalties (at least not in practice). And I'm pretty sure I've read that a lot of leeway is given to individual schools to handle it how they want to. I'm not sure there are even set rules about drug testing with regard to weed.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nient-discipline-marijuana-investigation-says

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012

It's not really a problem period. The NCAA/Universities should stop with the minor-league DEA stuff.

Discipline acknowledges the reality that to be successful one must conform to the rules and directives of the organization and the boss/coach. If one chooses to ingnore those rules and directives there are consequences. Doesn't really matter whether it is drugs or something else. Those who remain undisciplined tend to bounce from job to job or have a lackuster career, all the while blaming the boss or "system" for their failures. Drugs are not allowed...conform or face the consequences. No whining please about whether or not the rule is fair...just conform or be gone.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

Discipline acknowledges the reality that to be successful one must conform to the rules and directives of the organization and the boss/coach. If one chooses to ingnore those rules and directives there are consequences. Doesn't really matter whether it is drugs or something else. Those who remain undisciplined tend to bounce from job to job or have a lackuster career, all the while blaming the boss or "system" for their failures. Drugs are not allowed...conform or face the consequences. No whining please about whether or not the rule is fair...just conform or be gone.
First of all this "conform or be gone" stuff is an embarrassing mantra and you probably shouldn't say that in public. I mean, Germany in the 30's/40's would have agreed with all of that and then some. Second of all, there's nothing written into the fabric of the universe that says pot has to be made illegal, either nationally or in college football. That's the point.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yes, because banning pot puts you in the same category as those who killed six million Jews.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

First of all this "conform or be gone" stuff is an embarrassing mantra and you probably shouldn't say that in public. I mean, Germany in the 30's/40's would have agreed with all of that and then some. Second of all, there's nothing written into the fabric of the universe that says pot has to be made illegal, either nationally or in college football. That's the point.
Your extreme views need to be taken to the non sports board.

Last edited:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

First of all this "conform or be gone" stuff is an embarrassing mantra and you probably shouldn't say that in public. I mean, Germany in the 30's/40's would have agreed with all of that and then some.
Germany in the 30s/40s didn't conform to any rules of humanity or any requests from the League of Nations or the other powers in Europe, so I don't think that your analogy has any merit.

The rules are there for a reason. Marijuana smoke is more dangerous to the lungs than tobacco smoke because it contains a higher concentration of carcinogens and pulmonary irritants. It also has detrimental effects on motor function, reaction time, concentration, and vision. These players spend hours conditioning themselves to be able to perform at their highest level, so it is completely irrational to turn around and do something that harms their ability to perform. They are not only harming their health and their ability to perform, but they are harming the overall team by impairing their ability to perform.

If I was the head of an athletic program and spending millions of dollars to get the top coaches and best equipment to help these student-athletes perform at their greatest potential and then found out that a player is using a substance that is keeping them from performing at their greatest potential, you better believe that I'd kick them out and find someone that is more appreciative of the opportunity. These players are supposed to be learning all the little things that will make them successful, so I'd say that one of the biggest lessons that they should learn is to not erase the benefits of hours and hours of hard work just for a few moments of deceptive pleasure.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Good move. See, when you want to shut down the other guy's position, but don't necessarily have the most fundamentally sound position yourself, just play the race card or the Nazi card. That way, you don't have to have any substance, or even be on topic.

Most people are so intent on getting the racist or Nazi tag off themselves, that no matter how unfairly it was laid on them, they lose track of the original discussion, and you win by default.

[Heavy sarcasm intended]

I put the over / under on this thread being locked at about an hour.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Floyd, I'm pro-legalization, too...but as it relates to this subject of FOOTBALL it would only be a detriment to our team if our guys were "piping at the gates of dawn."

You see that, right?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Marijuana smoke is more dangerous to the lungs than tobacco smoke because it contains a higher concentration of carcinogens and pulmonary irritants.
Can you cite your source for this?

It also has detrimental effects on motor function, reaction time, concentration, and vision. These players spend hours conditioning themselves to be able to perform at their highest level, so it is completely irrational to turn around and do something that harms their ability to perform. They are not only harming their health and their ability to perform, but they are harming the overall team by impairing their ability to perform.

If I was the head of an athletic program and spending millions of dollars to get the top coaches and best equipment to help these student-athletes perform at their greatest potential and then found out that a player is using a substance that is keeping them from performing at their greatest potential, you better believe that I'd kick them out and find someone that is more appreciative of the opportunity. These players are supposed to be learning all the little things that will make them successful, so I'd say that one of the biggest lessons that they should learn is to not erase the benefits of hours and hours of hard work just for a few moments of deceptive pleasure.
Sure, pot has some transient effects. So does alcohol--would you kick players off the team for drinking as well?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't think you'd like the results if they tested the entire Alabama team.
Actually, the entire team is tested and some of the suspensions you see as a "violation of team rules" are a direct result of these tests. In fact, several transfers which were heart-breaking over the last several years were owing to the results of these tests. I'm going to transfer this thread to NS, so you can continue your crusade for pot. I must say that your posts are beginning to take on a familiar tone. I think you've been through here before...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

Does this mean we get some new pot smokers wafting over to Non-Sports?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Actually, the entire team is tested and some of the suspensions you see as a "violation of team rules" are a direct result of these tests. In fact, several transfers which were heart-breaking over the last several years were owing to the results of these tests. I'm going to transfer this thread to NS, so you can continue your crusade for pot. I must say that your posts are beginning to take on a familiar tone. I think you've been through here before...

i do have to say, that is probably the first time i've seen someone go godwin on the football board.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.