Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who exactly are these people that are saying the title game won't be close?

The media outlets are a business. They aren't going to do anything but what they think will heighten the draw to the game. Some outlets are going heavy on the tradition angle whilst others are shouting ND's merits as loudly as possible to make the game as attractive as possible. The truth is, even Vegas has no clue. Vegas sure was wrong about the A&M game. Further more, Bama's wins in '92 weren't the kind of wins that impressed people. They slugged it out and while Miami may have been the more talented team we all know what happened that day. I witnessed it from the Bama endzone, "we wanted it more." All of this to say that while ND's stats aren't great they are undefeated, played some quality opponents, and found a way past their poor performances. We all thought that Bama was going to hand it to UGA and perhaps we should have but stats don't win games. If we expect ND to come out and roll over you can forget it. We need to be expecting a dog fight.
    The best defense is a good defense!

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Check the LSU and Georgia boards, they are saying it won't be close either, we win by more than 14. I'll err on the side of caution, I've watched ND play as much as I could this year and they have a great defense. Offense struggles some but if Golson starts playing like Mett did against us it won't be a blowout. Two intangibles we have, in my opinion, is that fact that it is in Miami and will be warm and humid (or should be) and we have been in these type of games before. I think it's close until midway through the 3rd Qtr and then they will begin to tire, much more than we will.
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    as long as the teams not acting like Miami players wre in 1992, we're good...

we, as fans, arent playing in the game....thus have no impact on performance of the team on 7 January.
    exactly. if you've seen "the U" on 30 for 30 or whatever it is, the guys from that team are still just as arrogant and still can't believe they lost to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

Betcha Lou Holtz is thinking blowout, just not by us.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost half of the SEC would be favored by the odds makers over Notre Dame. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and South Carolina. That would put Notre Dame on the SEC level of Miss. St., Vanderbilt and Ole Miss and above Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee.

Sounds about right to me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Who exactly are these people that are saying the title game won't be close?

I'm one, but I'm sure I don't count.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I predicted 49-7 in the pick the score thread. That was probably a bit optimistic lol...

The only thing that concerns me is that we're 1-6 lifetime against these guys and in all but one of those games we were favored, in some cases as much as ten points.

They'll have a chip on their shoulder and they'll play with a lot of pride. Ultimately though I think we have too much balance on offense and we'll be too physical as the game goes along. I'm thinking more like 38-14 as the game approaches.

I truly believe the only team that can beat us is ourselves and I can't see that happening in a game of this magnitude.

Plus, unlike the Texas A@M game we don't have to play LSU the week before.

The big intangible for us though is that Skip Bayless picked ND to win. That virtually eliminated any chance the irish may have had lol..

sip

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    as long as the teams not acting like Miami players wre in 1992, we're good...

we, as fans, arent playing in the game....thus have no impact on performance of the team on 7 January.
    Right....I just meant that Miami at that time had won a couple of recent titles....we were just a team with a poor offense and stout defense that didn't win with a lot of style. I remember how sick I was of Miami then....how badly I wanted us to win....how much it meant to us at the time in terms of being 'back' on the national stage. Just seems like we're on the opposite side now.

That being said....I fully expect us to win by 10 or more. RTR
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

The BCS talking heads and ESPN are talking up ND as an underdog to get people to watch. No matter how much talent either side has, the team that puts it all together for 60 minutes on Jan 7th will win. Just look at the Sugar Bowl in 2009.

ND as a national brand and not playing for a championship in so long is a great story and the fact that they can talk up ND as having a chance to beat Bama (history and another national brand) and the SEC (finally!), then they are going to continue to push buttons with vague references.

I am sure each player in each locker room could care less who is favored. From the interviews I have seen and read, they respect Bama and our players respect them. The players are not worried about who won the previous games between the 2 schools. I think it is safe to say that the last time Bama played ND in football, none of the players on either side were born (1987) unless some of the players are 25+.

I chose 24-10 for Bama in the score thread, and think Bama scores late to give that margin.

ND does not have UGA or UT's offense so I dont think they can put up #s against our D. I think we can score and limit the turnovers on our end. I don't think it will be a blowout (+21), but I do think we lead ND in all 3 phases.

Plus our players have been there, ND has not and neither has their coach!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    Look no further than a lot of folks on this board.
    I confess. Guilty as charged.

Bama's on top, we are in the middle of an incredible run. Once again, Bama has the undisputed king of college coaches. If that translates into me having a little swagger, excuse me while I enjoy myself. I can't help it.

I'm looking for Bama to put on one of these trademark football clinics like they are prone to doing in the big games. It's not unusual for a Saban coached team to finish the season playing very good football.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Who exactly are these people that are saying the title game won't be close?

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post

Plus, unlike the Texas A@M game we don't have to play LSU the week before.
    That was key to Bama's only loss of the season. This game will be like Michigan v. Bama. Bama will put it on them.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    Right....I just meant that Miami at that time had won a couple of recent titles....we were just a team with a poor offense and stout defense that didn't win with a lot of style. I remember how sick I was of Miami then....how badly I wanted us to win....how much it meant to us at the time in terms of being 'back' on the national stage. Just seems like we're on the opposite side now.

That being said....I fully expect us to win by 10 or more. RTR
    No doubt that there are some noticeable comparisons between the ND offense of 2012 and Bama's in '92. The big difference is CNS's teams will not enter the game with a cocky attitude thinking all they gotta do is show up so there's the big difference in Alabama in 2012 and Miami in '92.

BamaNation Second Team Bama Czar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willie52 View Post
    Check the LSU and Georgia boards, they are saying it won't be close either, we win by more than 14. I'll err on the side of caution, I've watched ND play as much as I could this year and they have a great defense. Offense struggles some but if Golson starts playing like Mett did against us it won't be a blowout. Two intangibles we have, in my opinion, is that fact that it is in Miami and will be warm and humid (or should be) and we have been in these type of games before. I think it's close until midway through the 3rd Qtr and then they will begin to tire, much more than we will.
    I've spent many a January in Miami. The temp will be pleasant & mild. The typical southern "heat & humidity" will not be a factor in this game.