Who exactly are these people that are saying the title game won't be close?

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Every interview with every talking head/media that i've heard are saying it will be closer than what people think.So if everyone is saying that who and where are these people that are predicting a blowout?They always start out saying"no one is giving ND a chance" and "everyone is predicting Alabama to crush ND".But i have yet to hear anyone actually say that.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Me neither. Most people in the media are talking up Notre Dame's chances much more than Alabama's. I've heard enough about how great Notre Dame's front seven is to make me want to puke.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tim Brando yesterday said that we would cover the spread and he figured ND would keep it a game for about 2.5 quarters, or until the adjustments were made and applied.

I never say a game is going to be a wipeout nor do I think that here. However - if this were ANY OTHER TEAM except Notre Dame with the same stats, we would be told about how one-sided the game was going to be.

Just like the way Nebraska wiped the floor with Miami in the 1984 Orange Bowl.

:)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, about mid season I started pulling for ND to finish undefeated so we could play them in the Title game. When I wished for that they were winning (and continued to do so) by slim margins with a lot of luck.

But I don't think ND got to where they are with just "the luck of the Irish." I believe they got to where they are now with the "team" attitude and I believe because they have demonstrated this quality they are a quality opponent.

That said, it appears (even by outsiders) that we have much more talent. Talent alone doesn't win and if we were a bunch of renegades that had won by just talent alone I'd be more concerned.

But here's what will make the difference: Alabama is a unit that plays "team ball" too and to boot we are very talented. We've won just like ND this year, but with even better athletes and by larger margins.

I expect this trend will carry over to the NC game and I figure it will be a tight game and Bama eventually pulls away in the second half.

I think this is what people are seeing and expecting and the talking heads are trying to talk up a way for ND to beat Bama.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Every interview with every talking head/media that i've heard are saying it will be closer than what people think.So if everyone is saying that who and where are these people that are predicting a blowout?They always start out saying"no one is giving ND a chance" and "everyone is predicting Alabama to crush ND".But i have yet to hear anyone actually say that.
Look no further than a lot of folks on this board. :)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I keep playing the game over in my head -- and I keep coming up with

Bama 30
ND 13

I just don't see their offense giving us the trouble that some of the teams we have played have given us. I see lots of 3 and outs -- and I think time wears down their Front 7 -- I also think we score a non-offense TD.....

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
You know, about mid season I started pulling for ND to finish undefeated so we could play them in the Title game. When I wished for that they were winning (and continued to do so) by slim margins with a lot of luck.

But I don't think ND got to where they are with just "the luck of the Irish." I believe they got to where they are now with the "team" attitude and I believe because they have demonstrated this quality they are a quality opponent.

That said, it appears (even by outsiders) that we have much more talent. Talent alone doesn't win and if we were a bunch of renegades that had won by just talent alone I'd be more concerned.

But here's what will make the difference: Alabama is a unit that plays "team ball" too and to boot we are very talented. We've won just like ND this year, but with even better athletes and by larger margins.

I expect this trend will carry over to the NC game and I figure it will be a tight game and Bama eventually pulls away in the second half.

I think this is what people are seeing and expecting and the talking heads are trying to talk up a way for ND to beat Bama.
This is a pretty nice summation of things, IMO...

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
I will say it right now, if we play the kind of football we are capable of we will win big. Hell, if we play like we did against Georgia we will win by 14+.

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Not in terms of attitude or arrogance....not in terms of players, coaches, or programs in general.....but part of me wonders how much we have in common with Miami fans in 1992. It's just a fear in the back of my mind.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Not in terms of attitude or arrogance....not in terms of players, coaches, or programs in general.....but part of me wonders how much we have in common with Miami fans in 1992. It's just a fear in the back of my mind.
as long as the teams not acting like Miami players wre in 1992, we're good...

we, as fans, arent playing in the game....thus have no impact on performance of the team on 7 January.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
The media outlets are a business. They aren't going to do anything but what they think will heighten the draw to the game. Some outlets are going heavy on the tradition angle whilst others are shouting ND's merits as loudly as possible to make the game as attractive as possible. The truth is, even Vegas has no clue. Vegas sure was wrong about the A&M game. Further more, Bama's wins in '92 weren't the kind of wins that impressed people. They slugged it out and while Miami may have been the more talented team we all know what happened that day. I witnessed it from the Bama endzone, "we wanted it more." All of this to say that while ND's stats aren't great they are undefeated, played some quality opponents, and found a way past their poor performances. We all thought that Bama was going to hand it to UGA and perhaps we should have but stats don't win games. If we expect ND to come out and roll over you can forget it. We need to be expecting a dog fight.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Check the LSU and Georgia boards, they are saying it won't be close either, we win by more than 14. I'll err on the side of caution, I've watched ND play as much as I could this year and they have a great defense. Offense struggles some but if Golson starts playing like Mett did against us it won't be a blowout. Two intangibles we have, in my opinion, is that fact that it is in Miami and will be warm and humid (or should be) and we have been in these type of games before. I think it's close until midway through the 3rd Qtr and then they will begin to tire, much more than we will.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
as long as the teams not acting like Miami players wre in 1992, we're good...

we, as fans, arent playing in the game....thus have no impact on performance of the team on 7 January.
exactly. if you've seen "the U" on 30 for 30 or whatever it is, the guys from that team are still just as arrogant and still can't believe they lost to us.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Almost half of the SEC would be favored by the odds makers over Notre Dame. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and South Carolina. That would put Notre Dame on the SEC level of Miss. St., Vanderbilt and Ole Miss and above Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee.

Sounds about right to me. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I predicted 49-7 in the pick the score thread. That was probably a bit optimistic lol...

The only thing that concerns me is that we're 1-6 lifetime against these guys and in all but one of those games we were favored, in some cases as much as ten points.

They'll have a chip on their shoulder and they'll play with a lot of pride. Ultimately though I think we have too much balance on offense and we'll be too physical as the game goes along. I'm thinking more like 38-14 as the game approaches.

I truly believe the only team that can beat us is ourselves and I can't see that happening in a game of this magnitude.

Plus, unlike the Texas A@M game we don't have to play LSU the week before.

The big intangible for us though is that Skip Bayless picked ND to win. That virtually eliminated any chance the irish may have had lol..

sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.