Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team James Eagle's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Sports media and expert analyst...Quite often their logic is flawed.

Remember Georgia vs Hawaii in the 2008 Sugar Bowl? Leading up to the game most of the media outside the SEC were really singing the praises of Hawaii’s high powered passing attack. According to the experts, Georgia and the rest of the SEC had not faced such an awesome offense and doubted that an SEC defense was equipped to handle it. The media build up did manage to sell out the Superdome and TV ratings were high so mission accomplished. Unfortunately, for Hawaii fans who may have been drinking the kool-aid, once the game started it was painfully obvious just how outmatched the Warriors were. Prior to the start of the game, the announcers, Thom Brennaman and Charles Davis seemed excited about Hawaii and a team from the WAC taking on the Bulldogs and the SEC, however, early in the 4th quarter they began criticizing Georgia for running up the score on a defenseless team! The moral to this story is….Apparently, the professional sports analyst aren’t any better equipped to predict the outcome of a game that us regular sports fans. Therefore, don’t let yourself get all excited whenever you read or hear some expert offering his opinion, good or bad, about your team. Roll Tide.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Sports media and expert analyst...Quite often their logic is flawed.

I get where you are coming from but this is the first team in the SEC run of dominance that actually plays a game capable of playing with the SEC: run, stop run. This isn't one of those teams that thinks they'll score a touchdown every possession and out quick you for negative plays on defense. Notre Dame wants to match up and try to out muscle you.

This is the best team the SEC has caught in a championship. Pure and simple.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Sports media and expert analyst...Quite often their logic is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I get where you are coming from but this is the first team in the SEC run of dominance that actually plays a game capable of playing with the SEC: run, stop run. This isn't one of those teams that thinks they'll score a touchdown every possession and out quick you for negative plays on defense. Notre Dame wants to match up and try to out muscle you.

So was Oklahoma, Texas etc and look at what happened to them.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

OK. So much for they want to do. Do they have the depth? We do.

I hope big Jesse's 100%. I didn't like what UGA could do through the middle when he was out...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I hope big Jesse's 100%. I didn't like what UGA could do through the middle when he was out...
    Agreed, they were gashing us. There were 2-3 runs in a row that were 10 yards a pop.

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Agree 100%. Worst case though, and Jesse isn't 100%, you don't think Square, Lake, Dial could hold the point of attack consistently. I know there is a reason Jesse starts and the others don't at that position, but ND doesn't have a Gurley/Marshall either. I am ignorant on their line as compared to UGA's.
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

To the point of the OP....I don't think media/analysts are really aiming for logic. I think that, like columnists and talk show hosts, they are about whatever garners viewers and spurns conversation. Quite frankly, you've illustrated this perfectly in your post. On one hand, you call out Brennaman and Davis as an example of failed logic. On the other hand, I had no clue who these 2 people were until you so graciously gave them some free publicity. It's just like PF.....everyone says they hate him but that's the genius of it....everyone hates him.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post
    Agree 100%. Worst case though, and Jesse isn't 100%, you don't think Square, Lake, Dial could hold the point of attack consistently. I know there is a reason Jesse starts and the others don't at that position, but ND doesn't have a Gurley/Marshall either. I am ignorant on their line as compared to UGA's.
    Their offensive line is very good.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

You know, I just don't know.

Florida "backed into" the game (they were only there because UCLA somehow upset USC) and couldn't beat Ohio State
    OU had five straight 60-point games
    Texas had the greatest run defense since forever
    Auburn's defense was terrible and Oregon could exploit it (19 points on the worst team to ever win a championship)

What little I've watched - Notre Dame does the little things right - not spectacularly, but right.

At the same time, I have a hard time getting around that they played basically a Big Ten schedule and - at best - survived it.

They barely beat a mediocre Purdue team.
    They barely beat a Michigan team that Alabama pulverized in a game that - in theory anyway - should have been one of our worst because of the rust.
    They did have the biggest win against Michigan State points-wise, but they scored fewer points against the Spartans than Indiana (who is annually terrible), Nebraska, or Northwestern.
    They barely beat the same Pitt team that lost to Youngstown State

Oklahoma? How much can you read into the game? Oklahoma got called for stupid penalties, including one that cost them a rushing TD just before the half. The Sooners had ONE POSSESSION in the third quarter. Any Irish fan want to bet on the number the Tide gets being higher?

Plus Oklahoma's defense is ranked 43rd, giving up 24.2 PPG and the Irish still only had 13 points with six minutes left to play.

So - who really knows?

Look at Alabama's games and only THREE were close: LSU, Texas A/M, and Georgia.

Incidentally, we had 2, 3, and 2 turnovers (plus the blocked FG) in those games.

The first one was a win on the road that was close because of a turnover.

The second one we were six feet from winning the worst game we played.

The third one was the best game in the SEC in years.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Oklahoma, Texas, and Oregon were all similar in that they sacrifice size for pure speed on defense. None of them could hold up at the point of attack against SEC run games. I think this the first team that at least has an identity in controlling the run first over just playing the "basketball on turf" game where they do the football equivalent of a fullcourt press: score a lot on offense and rush the passer on defense. Alabama, Florida, and Auburn each had some issues handling their edge speed but the way they could run the ball kept them effective on offense.

Notre Dame is really most similar to those Ohio State teams Florida and LSU played in 2006 and 2007. Ohio State was built similarly to the basic formula for success: they played good defense and established the run. Florida and LSU just absolutely outclassed Ohio State in terms of speed while still matching up size-wise. I just feel like this ND team is better at the point of attack on the OL and DL than those Ohio State teams. Ultimately, I think the same things that got Ohio State beat will beat Notre Dame but it won't be the absolute thrashing Florida and LSU put on OSU.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post

This absolutely is not the first team that could run/stop the run. Ohio state had Beanie Wells and the number 3 rush defense in division 1 when they got blown out by a two loss LSU.

They also had James Laurinaitis, who was widely considered to be the best linebacker in college football, Malcom Jenkins, who was widely considered one of the best corners in college football, and Vernon Gholston, who was widely considered to be the best pass rusher in college football.
    Last edited by cmmiller711; December 21st, 2012 at 01:22 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, that was I was talking about in my previous post. They're more like Ohio State and I guess the biggest concern is whether Alabama is just more quick on the perimeter than they use to seeing. The size and speed of LSU's backs and receivers really killed Ohio State. Florida absolutely murdered their offensive tackles with their big, fast DEs.

I just think that this ND team has a little better OL/DL talent than Ohio State. I do believe ultimately the combination of our ability to play physical like them with speed guys like Cooper and Yeldon looms large for them.