Link: Steroids in college football. (Link)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
http://espn.go.com/college-football...roids-loom-major-college-football-report-says

To broaden the scope a bit. I wonder how much of an impact steroids play in injuries. I mean, according to the article it is next to "impossible" to gain the kind of weight in one year that a lot of these guys are putting on. The bigger a moving object is the more damage it causes. These guys are not only getting bigger but also faster. Thoughts?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This is pretty to be so uninformed. I am not discounting the existence of steriods in cfb but they are right you can't gain that much weight with diet and exercise alone. But you can see dramatic results pretty quickly if you put a young guys in a very regimented weightlifting and nutrition program. For a lot of these guys that is only increasing their body weight by 10 percent or less.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I played baseball in college and in my first year of weight training, I put on a little over 10 lbs and it wasn't fat. I can't argue against a player gaining 10 maybe 20 lbs in a year. But anything over that and I have to start questioning the validity of it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I played baseball in college and in my first year of weight training, I put on a little over 10 lbs and it wasn't fat. I can't argue against a player gaining 10 maybe 20 lbs in a year. But anything over that and I have to start questioning the validity of it.
Agreed - when kids come out of HS and put on 30-50 pounds in their first year, consider that their new workout routine also has them lowering their body fat percentage. They are adding lean muscle mass while losing fat. A net gain of 30 pounds probably means more like 50 pounds of muscle gain. Hard to believe that this is possible without a little "help".

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
I am certainly no expert, although I coached many years and had several kids play college football. I know of many kids that were 3 sport athletes in high school and could never put on much weight. When they went to college, ate good, was in a year round weight program and matured...put on a lot of weight. After high school, males typically "fill out" any way. If they are college athletes they fill out more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.