Idiot Steve Kerr attacks Johnny Manziel over court-side seats - Dallas Mavericks game

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Re: Johnny Manziel Sits Courtside for a Dallas Mavericks Game

This isn't Kerr's first foray into silliness. In 2010, while GM of the Phoenix Suns, he likened Arizona to Nazi Germany because of Arizona's Anti-Illegal Immigration Law (SB 1070). Reasonable people can disagree on the merits of the law, of course, but generally he who first likens his opponent to Hitler or Nazi Germany loses the argument and respect.
It's really elitist and a bit arrogant. He made the presumption that a football player had to be poor and unable to afford luxuries...
Just as he presumed (incorrectly, I think) that all Americans of hispanic descent favor illegal immigration and/or that anyone opposed to illegal immigration is by definition a Nazi...

Last edited:

FAYETTE4BAMA

1st Team
May 15, 2003

Kerr should certainly understand insensitive remarks. From an old SI story about fan behavior:

• In February 1988, Arizona senior guard Steve Kerr was cruelly reminded of the murder of his father -- Malcolm H. Kerr, the president of the American University of Beirut -- by terrorists in Lebanon four years earlier. In a game against archrival Arizona State, in Tempe, Kerr was taunted by Sun Devils fans, who yelled "PLO, PLO." (The Palestine Liberation Organization was never linked to the assassination.) Kerr responded by scoring 20 of his 22 points in the first half as Arizona rolled to a 101-73 win. Arizona State later apologized, and an anonymous Sun Devils fan attempted to do the same, explaining in a letter sent to Kerr, "There's no way you can understand . . . some of the things we have had to put up with when we've gone to Arizona over the years."

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Kerr should certainly understand insensitive remarks. From an old SI story about fan behavior:

• In February 1988, Arizona senior guard Steve Kerr was cruelly reminded of the murder of his father -- Malcolm H. Kerr, the president of the American University of Beirut -- by terrorists in Lebanon four years earlier. In a game against archrival Arizona State, in Tempe, Kerr was taunted by Sun Devils fans, who yelled "PLO, PLO.""
I remember, and always cheer for every ASU opponent because of, this...

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

That would be like journalists questioning why Greg McElroy was driving around Tuscaloosa in a Land Rover. It doesn't take much digging to discover that Manziels parents, like GMAC's, are not short on cash. That is why his Dad could move the whole family from Kerrville to College Station and put his daughter in the very expensive Allen Academy in Bryan, just to be near Johnny and help keep him on the straight and narrow. That is why Johnny tools around College Station in a bright red 2012 Camaro. I don't think Daddy Manziel has a regular day job. Seeing as how they are originally from Tyler, TX I would posit that it is good old fashioned East Texas oil money.

Kerr should have done some Googling before making comments like that.
Kerr was just using" Johnny Courtside" ® as a medium to attack the SEC

BTW - who else loves the dry wit and humor of "Czar" Fratello?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

I need everyone here to remember this when discussing a lot of athletes here and especially over on the recruiting board.

Contrary to popular belief, not every athlete grew up destitute walking around bare foot with holes in their one shirt that they shared with their 14 siblings.

So if and when we ever miss out on a recruit and you happen to see the recruit driving a car nicer than yours, don't assume that there's foul play (kinda like some people did with Robert Marve. I won't name names). Many parents save money for their kids to go to college. And if a full paid scholarship comes along, I don't see why you wouldn't want to do with that money what you darn well please.

And not every situation is a "Blindside" story, where an athlete needs "a helping hand".

While there is certainly a huge gap between the haves and have-nots in this country, there are a lot of people in between who do ok for themselves and are responsible enough to save money for their and their kids' futures.

The ignorant announcer has now started apologizing on his Twitter feed and saying it was a joke. He obviously missed the memo that Johnny Manziel has wealthy parents who can easily afford these tickets. :rolleyes: Move on.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I thought he was trying to be witty. It was silly, but I don't personally feel like he was being malicious....just jabbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
I don't know how many folks have priced NBA tickets, but they are ridiculously expensive. Especially given the fact the Heat were in town, the seats he had could easily have been $1,500.

I'm not saying Kerr was right, but my eyes got wide when I saw Johnny Football in those seats. At the least, it didn't look good. Who knows, though? Maybe he actually did buy them for himself as a birthday present.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know how many folks have priced NBA tickets, but they are ridiculously expensive. Especially given the fact the Heat were in town, the seats he had could easily have been $1,500.

I'm not saying Kerr was right, but my eyes got wide when I saw Johnny Football in those seats. At the least, it didn't look good. Who knows, though? Maybe he actually did buy them for himself as a birthday present.
To his father, those seats are pocket change. Should he slink around in sack cloth, despite the wealth of his family, in order not to give the wrong impression? I suppose GMac shouldn't have driven an expensive SUV or not treated the team to steak dinners after the team won, just because his family had money and he needed to hide the fact? This whole thing is ridiculous...

Last edited:

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

stupid comments by kerr but, let's face it, this is why heisman winners usually lose their bowl games...way too many december distractions

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.