Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    12,163
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

    Question re: secondary

    With Geno Smith's emergence, how likely are we to see him (or another CB) blitzing from the slot/corner against ND? We haven't see a lot of that this year. Or do we lack a CB with the initial burst to make that as reliable as it has been in years past?
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Given the extra practice and gameplanning, I would suspect that either Geno or Dee will play the Star position. Either one should have the necessary blitzing speed.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  4. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    7,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    I thought we actually blitzed a good bit from that position when Vinnie was playing there. They used that double safety overload blitz quite a bit with Vinnie and Lester. Geno Smith has been a much needed development though. He's not always perfect but he's giving better pure coverage skills on the throw than Sunseri could provide. I'm sure they'll probably have a few packages ready to bring the nickel off the corner. It's a staple of Saban's nickel defense and, like you pointed out, we haven't shown it too often with a true corner in there this season.

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    16,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Question re: secondary

    I would be very surprising to see Geno blitz, but his development would determine that. I'm sure it would surprise ND. Vinny has been able to do a phenomenal when it comes to blitzing. He's batted balls down and gotten great pressure on the QB. Dee, hope he comes back, his play speaks for itself. He's an all-American. I don't think they'll have an answer for either.

  6. #5
    BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    493
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I thought we actually blitzed a good bit from that position when Vinnie was playing there. They used that double safety overload blitz quite a bit with Vinnie and Lester. Geno Smith has been a much needed development though. He's not always perfect but he's giving better pure coverage skills on the throw than Sunseri could provide. I'm sure they'll probably have a few packages ready to bring the nickel off the corner. It's a staple of Saban's nickel defense and, like you pointed out, we haven't shown it too often with a true corner in there this season.
    LSU and A&M both exposed a personnel problem with this blitz, imo. IMHO, this specific personnel problem almost cost us the LSU game and did cost us the A&M game. In both games the pressure never got there and the man coverage was beaten easily. If we run this blitz some kind of adjustment will need to be made to get deep help.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

    I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

    'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

  7. #6
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question re: secondary

    I think Dee is our best blitzing corner easily, but he's also the one I'd most like to have covering down the field. Therein lies the rub.

  8. #7
    BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Are we going to see John Fulton?

    People can say what they want, but the guy was one of the few to bring his A+ game against A&M. I was really impressed with his man to man skills and would like to see him on the field.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

  9. #8
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    Are we going to see John Fulton?

    People can say what they want, but the guy was one of the few to bring his A+ game against A&M. I was really impressed with his man to man skills and would like to see him on the field.
    I thought he did well in that game also, but it was after that game that Geno started to factor in more, so I really don't know what the story is. I believe Fulton will play extensively next season. Hopefully he'll have a senior year similar to the one Marquis Johnson had in 2009. There obviously will be an opportunity if Dee turns pro (which I think is a foregone conclusion).

  10. #9
    BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Well the reason for Geno coming in initially was Fulton was hurt with turf toe, IIRC. Then Geno ended up improving drastically. I just am one of those that happens to want Fulton on the field over Belue. I feel like Belue loses the ball to much and causes me to lose my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Love the Ping View Post
    I thought he did well in that game also, but it was after that game that Geno started to factor in more, so I really don't know what the story is. I believe Fulton will play extensively next season. Hopefully he'll have a senior year similar to the one Marquis Johnson had in 2009. There obviously will be an opportunity if Dee turns pro (which I think is a foregone conclusion).
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

  11. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    Well the reason for Geno coming in initially was Fulton was hurt with turf toe, IIRC. Then Geno ended up improving drastically. I just am one of those that happens to want Fulton on the field over Belue. I feel like Belue loses the ball to much and causes me to lose my mind.
    You are correct. Geno only got significant playing time after Fulton got the turf toe injury. Like you, I think Fulton did a fine job against A&M. He did his best Marquis Johnson impersonation.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  12. #11
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,067
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    LSU and A&M both exposed a personnel problem with this blitz, imo. IMHO, this specific personnel problem almost cost us the LSU game and did cost us the A&M game. In both games the pressure never got there and the man coverage was beaten easily. If we run this blitz some kind of adjustment will need to be made to get deep help.
    However, Mettenberger finally had his Garcia day against us. He was deadly. Manziel had the wheels to prolong the play. I don't think ND's QB has Mett's accuracy or Manziel's wheels, although he's not without talent. It's just that the ND fans really do believe he has Mett's accuracy and Manziel's wheels. I just don't buy it until I see it. Our one loss and our near loss this season were engineered by QBs turning in really extraordinary performances. I'm just waiting to be shown that their QB can turn in that kind of performance...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    16,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    However, Mettenberger finally had his Garcia day against us. He was deadly. Manziel had the wheels to prolong the play. I don't think ND's QB has Mett's accuracy or Manziel's wheels, although he's not without talent. It's just that the ND fans really do believe he has Mett's accuracy and Manziel's wheels. I just don't buy it until I see it. Our one loss and our near loss this season were engineered by QBs turning in really extraordinary performances. I'm just waiting to be shown that their QB can turn in that kind of performance...
    Believe me, I've seen it. He doesn't.

  14. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Question re: secondary

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    However, Mettenberger finally had his Garcia day against us. He was deadly. Manziel had the wheels to prolong the play. I don't think ND's QB has Mett's accuracy or Manziel's wheels, although he's not without talent. It's just that the ND fans really do believe he has Mett's accuracy and Manziel's wheels. I just don't buy it until I see it. Our one loss and our near loss this season were engineered by QBs turning in really extraordinary performances. I'm just waiting to be shown that their QB can turn in that kind of performance...
    But Earle, Alabama struggles against mobile QBs. ND's QB is mobile. He's going to be the next Johnny Football.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!