Question re: secondary

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
With Geno Smith's emergence, how likely are we to see him (or another CB) blitzing from the slot/corner against ND? We haven't see a lot of that this year. Or do we lack a CB with the initial burst to make that as reliable as it has been in years past?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Given the extra practice and gameplanning, I would suspect that either Geno or Dee will play the Star position. Either one should have the necessary blitzing speed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought we actually blitzed a good bit from that position when Vinnie was playing there. They used that double safety overload blitz quite a bit with Vinnie and Lester. Geno Smith has been a much needed development though. He's not always perfect but he's giving better pure coverage skills on the throw than Sunseri could provide. I'm sure they'll probably have a few packages ready to bring the nickel off the corner. It's a staple of Saban's nickel defense and, like you pointed out, we haven't shown it too often with a true corner in there this season.

I would be very surprising to see Geno blitz, but his development would determine that. I'm sure it would surprise ND. Vinny has been able to do a phenomenal when it comes to blitzing. He's batted balls down and gotten great pressure on the QB. Dee, hope he comes back, his play speaks for itself. He's an all-American. I don't think they'll have an answer for either.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I thought we actually blitzed a good bit from that position when Vinnie was playing there. They used that double safety overload blitz quite a bit with Vinnie and Lester. Geno Smith has been a much needed development though. He's not always perfect but he's giving better pure coverage skills on the throw than Sunseri could provide. I'm sure they'll probably have a few packages ready to bring the nickel off the corner. It's a staple of Saban's nickel defense and, like you pointed out, we haven't shown it too often with a true corner in there this season.
LSU and A&M both exposed a personnel problem with this blitz, imo. IMHO, this specific personnel problem almost cost us the LSU game and did cost us the A&M game. In both games the pressure never got there and the man coverage was beaten easily. If we run this blitz some kind of adjustment will need to be made to get deep help.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I think Dee is our best blitzing corner easily, but he's also the one I'd most like to have covering down the field. Therein lies the rub.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Are we going to see John Fulton?

People can say what they want, but the guy was one of the few to bring his A+ game against A&M. I was really impressed with his man to man skills and would like to see him on the field.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Are we going to see John Fulton?

People can say what they want, but the guy was one of the few to bring his A+ game against A&M. I was really impressed with his man to man skills and would like to see him on the field.
I thought he did well in that game also, but it was after that game that Geno started to factor in more, so I really don't know what the story is. I believe Fulton will play extensively next season. Hopefully he'll have a senior year similar to the one Marquis Johnson had in 2009. There obviously will be an opportunity if Dee turns pro (which I think is a foregone conclusion).

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Well the reason for Geno coming in initially was Fulton was hurt with turf toe, IIRC. Then Geno ended up improving drastically. I just am one of those that happens to want Fulton on the field over Belue. I feel like Belue loses the ball to much and causes me to lose my mind.

I thought he did well in that game also, but it was after that game that Geno started to factor in more, so I really don't know what the story is. I believe Fulton will play extensively next season. Hopefully he'll have a senior year similar to the one Marquis Johnson had in 2009. There obviously will be an opportunity if Dee turns pro (which I think is a foregone conclusion).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well the reason for Geno coming in initially was Fulton was hurt with turf toe, IIRC. Then Geno ended up improving drastically. I just am one of those that happens to want Fulton on the field over Belue. I feel like Belue loses the ball to much and causes me to lose my mind.
You are correct. Geno only got significant playing time after Fulton got the turf toe injury. Like you, I think Fulton did a fine job against A&M. He did his best Marquis Johnson impersonation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LSU and A&M both exposed a personnel problem with this blitz, imo. IMHO, this specific personnel problem almost cost us the LSU game and did cost us the A&M game. In both games the pressure never got there and the man coverage was beaten easily. If we run this blitz some kind of adjustment will need to be made to get deep help.
However, Mettenberger finally had his Garcia day against us. He was deadly. Manziel had the wheels to prolong the play. I don't think ND's QB has Mett's accuracy or Manziel's wheels, although he's not without talent. It's just that the ND fans really do believe he has Mett's accuracy and Manziel's wheels. I just don't buy it until I see it. Our one loss and our near loss this season were engineered by QBs turning in really extraordinary performances. I'm just waiting to be shown that their QB can turn in that kind of performance...

However, Mettenberger finally had his Garcia day against us. He was deadly. Manziel had the wheels to prolong the play. I don't think ND's QB has Mett's accuracy or Manziel's wheels, although he's not without talent. It's just that the ND fans really do believe he has Mett's accuracy and Manziel's wheels. I just don't buy it until I see it. Our one loss and our near loss this season were engineered by QBs turning in really extraordinary performances. I'm just waiting to be shown that their QB can turn in that kind of performance...
Believe me, I've seen it. He doesn't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But Earle, Alabama struggles against mobile QBs. ND's QB is mobile. He's going to be the next Johnny Football. :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.