Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Who is America's favorite college Team.

The only thing that matters here is, who is my favorite college team. And that is Bama.
    Last edited by Clubfitter; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team

It's a tough question to answer because of the year-to-year fluctuation in how teams perform. Here's someone who tried to use Google search data in 2011 to answer this question. Don't get too worked up about the results. Even the author points out some flaws in the analysis. http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ignment-chaos/

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

LSU Tigers

South America's favorite team/customers
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tideche89 View Post
    It's a tough question to answer because of the year-to-year fluctuation in how teams perform. Here's someone who tried to use Google search data in 2011 to answer this question. Don't get too worked up about the results. Even the author points out some flaws in the analysis. http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ignment-chaos/
    Auburn #1 in the SEC really?

Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I doubt there's any kind of real answer to this question. On a side note since others have mentioned places outside of Alabama where they have encountered Bama fans.....I was stationed in Germany from 1990-1993 and met many Germans who vacationed in Alabama and were Alabama fans. During the 60s & 70s many Germans were familiar with and had access to AFN which typically aired one game per week. Often, that game was an Alabama game. I went to a bar called the "Alabama", bought a lot of gear in local shops, and met many Germans once I returned home because I could pick out their accent when I heard it and I would ask where they were from.

I don't know about nationally.....But I'd say we're definitely top #3 on a global list of favorite college teams.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation All-SEC

I prefer to be the most hated team in college football cause nothing brings out the hate like winning over and over and over ....

BamaNation First Team CrimsonBeachBum's Avatar

Alabama football is an internationally known brand. Recognized around the globe and not limited to the USA. Few other college football programs can enjoy the same recognition.
    "You got any biscuits fer sale in-nare?" "Reckin what you like to eat in-nare?"

BamaNation Third Team

Only one school has it's own national TV package. When they aren't there (meaning playing at home) they are immediately picked up by CBS or ESPN. I would like to know how far back would you have to go find out when an ND football game was not telivised!
    No other team has as many fans AND haters...thats why ND is #1

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMcGowin View Post
    As far as a national fans base - that's not what Alabama has ever been. I don't think that's what we want to be either. The national media (ESPN, etc.) has never apreciated a "podunk" school stealing the market form the "bigger, better," more marketable schools.
    1. Notre Dame
    2. Texas
    3. USCw
    4. Michigan
    So you say Alabama is a "Podunk School"???

Not a way to build trust with only 4 posts. Sounds Barnerish at best!

Bama may not be "bigger" than some of the schools you mention, but you really think we are not as "marketable" as those schools???

I think CBS and ESPN might disagree with you.

Also, I've read that when Bama went to the Rose Bowl in the 1920's and won that Bama won alot of respect nationally and since then the traditional success of Bama as done nothing to hurt our national reputation! When people hear "Bama" they think "winner" and people respect winners.

BamaNation Third Team

Found the answer to my own question...according to Wiki, ND set a record by having 169 consecutive games telecast NATIONALLY. The 2006 game at Air Force was on CSTV a branch of CBS that had an exclusive deal with the Mountain West. Since then ND has only hosted Mt West teams so as to have all their games televised NATIONALLY. Oh, ND is the only school to have their own NATIONAL radio network also

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have always thought we were the team to beat.
    We have never been America's favorite.
    Fans and writers have all pulled against us since the days of Coach Bryant.
    We are victims of our own success.

We are the team folks love to hate.
    Jealousy and envy of our History, Present, and Future, prevent lots of people from pulling for us.

We are generally loved by the 'Bookies'... We make them lots of money.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    So you say Alabama is a "Podunk School"???

Not a way to build trust with only 4 posts. Sounds Barnerish at best!

Bama may not be "bigger" than some of the schools you mention, but you really think we are not as "marketable" as those schools???

I don't think McGowin was saying Alabama is a podunk school. I think he was saying that some media outlets may have viewed us that way in the past. I think this was probably true from the 20s up through the pre-cable TV days. Our state, and the south in general, had a poor social reputation and I think it led to some northern/western media bias against us. That's why those Rose Bowl victories meant so much to the south as a whole and why it was so embarrassing for our opponents. So much so that the Rose Bowl stopped inviting us and almost no one wants to give us credit for titles earned in the 20s winning those Rose Bowl games.

It's only been in the last several years with the advent of ESPN style 24 hour coverage of everything and the internet that we've seen the SEC move to the front of the college football world. The rest of the nation doesn't root against us just because they're sick of seeing Alabama/the SEC win.....part of it is decades worth of the thought that "I don't want to lose to a bunch of inbred hicks"......
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I understand the "southern" bias, and no doubt you are right about the way others have historically viewed the south.

But as a brand, Bama football is upper echelon no doubt.

I'm not arguing Bama is the most popular school in the nation, but that we are a more national brand than most others because of our winning tradition.

Apologies to McGowin if I offended you.