Wake me up please! This can't be possible next year

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I imagine Volger will move over to the in-line TE position while Howard will be competing with Harrison Jones at H-Back.

I'm not worried about the OL. Most of the replacements are well-developed within the program or an incoming JUCO transfer.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sorry to inundate with posts, but I'd also bet on Jalston Fowler to play H-Back as much as the true H-B types next year. Howard will probably see the field though because we're hurting for a big-body receiver type at TE/H-B. Howard may be a liability as a blocker being a true freshman but perhaps we'll see him used like we attempted do with Smelley in 2008: line him up inside on spread formations as a mismatch.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Yeah, I imagine Volger will move over to the in-line TE position while Howard will be competing with Harrison Jones at H-Back.

I'm not worried about the OL. Most of the replacements are well-developed within the program or an incoming JUCO transfer.
Well, with that said, I guess we don't miss a beat next year. Crazy favorable schedule, too.

IF we beat ND the biggest problem the 2013 team will likely face will be unprecedented hype and expectations.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Sorry to inundate with posts, but I'd also bet on Jalston Fowler to play H-Back as much as the true H-B types next year. Howard will probably see the field though because we're hurting for a big-body receiver type at TE/H-B. Howard may be a liability as a blocker being a true freshman but perhaps we'll see him used like we attempted do with Smelley in 2008: line him up inside on spread formations as a mismatch.
Post away, brother.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, the OL will not be as good as this year's line. I thought the 2009 unit did a great job of using the motivation of being the perceived weak link and only paved the way to a Heisman winner. As a positional group, I think our OL takes a lot of pride in what they do and know the standard they're expected to maintain. Arie K kind of got caught up in a logjam after his injury but he's got a lot talent. We didn't just recruit him to land his brother. There's a dropoff from Warmack, to be sure, but he's been around awhile and has the physical ability to succeed. Kelly may be a better natural center than Barrett Jones. The question is right tackle but truly Fluker is the only elite talent we've had their in our recent run of excellence. We've gotten by with some mediocre play at that position to be frank. Shepherd or Leon Brown (JUCO transfer coming in this semester) will likely be the choice at RT. I wasn't too impressed with our OTs in the second unit whereas the interior guys looked rather solid. fwiw, I think Brown ends up starting.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Oh, I agree. The strength of next year's team IMO will be QB, our skill position depth and/or experience, the front seven on D (namely LBs), and special teams should be awfully solid.

I guess coaching, too :)

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
wr starters

r. Foster (#1 wr prospect in some polls)
c. Black (possibly better than cooper?)
a. Cooper (freshman all american)

running back starters

tj yeldon (freshman all american)
d. Henry (all time high school rushing leader)

te starter

oj howard (possibly the best receiving te prospect ever to come out of high school)

center starter

kelly (freshman all sec)

rest or ol starters

cyrus k (should be his break out year, possible all american)
stein (solid as ever)
...and a ton of other talent that we saw in almost every second half this year.

Qb

aj mccarron (#1 pass efficiency in the country, all time bama passing td leader)

if i'm dreaming, please don't ever wake me up!!!!!!!

Roll tide roll!!!!!
I know...I know!!!! I been dreaming the same as you!! RTR!

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
Can anyone remember a Bama team that had more talent/depth at the skill positions than next year's team will?

RB: Yeldon, Fowler, Hart, Drake, Tenpenny, Henry, Jones
WR: Cooper, Norwood, Christion Jones, White, Bell, Black, Cyrus Jones, Foster
TE: Howard (who has the versatility to line up in a lot of places, and can flex out wide)

Good lord!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Regarding Black... the fact that he is being compared to Cooper (better or otherwise) is still a MAJOR comparison and says a lot about WR depth.

If our OL is stout next year (we replace 2, possibly 3 AA starters so let's be careful in our assumptions across the line) then our offense will be sickeningly good. The RB corps is insanely impressive (I joked with my brother about the idea of Alabama running the wishbone), and AJ continues to grow more and more as a QB. He has good arm strength and a good touch on the passes.

Also, don't forget that Lacy might return, depending on his draft projection.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Also, the 2013 schedule is very much in our favor. With Auburn, Tennessee, and Arkansas each starting a new head coach, Texas A&M and LSU look like the only regular season threats.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Still could use more beef on the OL so Tunsil would really help that 2 deep. Also, we need some CBs to really step up. 2012 versions of Belue, Fulton, and Smith won't cut it. I think we'd see some safeties practice at CB.

Wish we were in on a Milliner/Kirkpatrick typ guy again.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Still could use more beef on the OL so Tunsil would really help that 2 deep. Also, we need some CBs to really step up. 2012 versions of Belue, Fulton, and Smith won't cut it. I think we'd see some safeties practice at CB.

Geno smith is that guy currently on the team. Humphrey is that guy we are going after.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
When talking about which receivers will see the field first, it will be the ones who can block. You can have the stickiest hands and world-class speed, but if you can't run-block, you won't see the field for Nick Saban.

That's a big reason why Bell, Ch Jones, and Norwood have secure spots in the rotation. I've seen all of these three, particularly Jones, make key blocks downfield all season.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
WR Starters

R. Foster (#1 WR prospect in some polls)
C. Black (possibly better than Cooper?)
A. Cooper (Freshman All American)

Running Back Starters

TJ Yeldon (Freshman All American)
D. Henry (All time High School rushing leader)

TE Starter

OJ Howard (Possibly the best receiving TE prospect ever to come out of High School)

Center Starter

Kelly (Freshman All SEC)

Rest or OL Starters

Cyrus k (Should be his break out year, possible All American)
Stein (Solid as ever)
...and a ton of other talent that we saw in almost every second half this year.

QB

AJ McCarron (#1 Pass Efficiency in the country, All time Bama passing TD leader)

If I'm dreaming, please don't ever wake me up!!!!!!!

Roll Tide Roll!!!!!
Stein?

I didn't know Anthony was Jewish...

:)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have a lot of time for your posts, rgw.

You sure do know a thing or two about football.

And Bama football in particular...

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

If I remember correctly Milliner wasn't that great either. Give these guys more time. (And a break)

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
If I remember correctly Milliner wasn't that great either. Give these guys more time. (And a break)
Yes, exactly. Milliner started out not very good and sometimes a bit of a liability. But he was surrounded by great players and coaches, and worked hard at his opportunity and now we think of him as "old reliable". I think the current crop of new guys is going to turn out just fine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.