The headache of recruiting rankings

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I swear, just when you have it all figured out.

So, I normally use 247sports, but after the latest commitment I was curious to see where we stood on the other sites.

So, I start looking, and geez my head hurts.

Rivals - #1 Ranking. 2 5*, 12 4*, 6 3*. Avg: 3.80
Scout - #9 Ranking. 5 5*, 7 4*, 7 3*, 1 2*. Avg 3.80 (including 10 of their Top 100)
247 Composite - #2 Ranking. 4 5*, 8 4*, 8 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.9
247 - #1 Ranking. 4 5*, 12 4*, 3 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.95

FYI - the 2 star player is Cole Mazza. He is a long snapper, and rated a 3* prospect on Rivals.

I'm debating going through and finding which players, if ANY, actually have the same ranking across all the sites.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Scout is a bit weird about it sometimes. They like their top rated players a little too much, and they also like quantity.

It's a bit of a head scratcher as Scout has Ohio State ahead with Alabama with a .04 star average higher. But, they have one less commit. On the other hand, LSU is ahead with two more commits and a 3.68 average. It's puzzling.

The top 9 are well ahead of the pack. Alabama is 600 points ahead of #10. That's greater than the distance between #9 and #3 on their rankings. You can't worry about it too much, especially until all the ink is dry.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Recruiting rankings are pretty meaningless to me. Just look at the NFL Draft. I think way more time and energy goes into that than looking at video tape of a bunch of high school kids, and there are tons of busts every year.

CRIMSON HAMMAH

Suspended
Dec 17, 2012

So, I normally use 247sports, but after the latest commitment I was curious to see where we stood on the other sites.

Scout - #9 Ranking. 5 5*, 7 4*, 7 3*, 1 2*. Avg 3.80 (including 10 of their Top 100)

FYI - the 2 star player is Cole Mazza. He is a long snapper, and rated a 3* prospect on Rivals.

I'm debating going through and finding which players, if ANY, actually have the same ranking across all the sites

I have no problem with any of them even Scout with Bama having only 12 4 or 5 stars with the teams ahead of us having more - football is a 44 player 2 deep sport

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If they all had the same rankings then what would be the point for more than one to exist? Scouts (not the website) have differing opinions on guys but it is a good way to see what a player is like by the aggregate. Of course, scouts aren't really looking at scheme fit. Dareus was only a 3-star by most of the services but he was the most ideal end for a 3-4 defense we've ever recruited.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
Those who hope to get "facts" about how recruits rank as prospects are going to be disappointed.

If NFL teams, which spend untold time and money scouting players with a much better body of work to judge from, bust on so many of their evaluations, then a handful of prep scouting services don't have much hope of being exact with their evaluations.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Coach Saban is such a good talent and character evaluator and that is enough for me. Some high rated players end up being busts and vice versa. I trust coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Schools like Alabama have an advantage - they get to evaluate most of the players that they offer in clinics run at their university. Their player analysis is much more reliable than that available from recruiting services. But I have always wondered - do coaches share the results of their analysis with other coaches? Is this data closely held?

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
I showed a t stat last year and will again this year. But ESPN for an example. Players that are going to play in the Under Armor All Star game(sponsored by ESPN) will be ranked higher in the ESPN. Players playing the Army game(sponsered by Rivals) will be ranked higher in Rivals. Scout may do the same now since they sponsor the Semper Fi game. 247 seems to be the least unbiased since they have no dog in any fight regarding all star games.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
by offering a kid, you kind of give your data away.:)
Schools like Alabama have an advantage - they get to evaluate most of the players that they offer in clinics run at their university. Their player analysis is much more reliable than that available from recruiting services. But I have always wondered - do coaches share the results of their analysis with other coaches? Is this data closely held?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think if a coach like Saban (or another at Bama's level) sees a guy that just isn't SEC caliber, he might drop a note to a buddy at a non-BCS school to help him out.

I think the recruiting ratings are so subjective its hard to know what to think. The levels of competition vary so widely in high school, numbers are hard to compare.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL

I'm debating going through and finding which players, if ANY, actually have the same ranking across all the sites.
I stopped looking at Scout because they seem to pass out 5* like nobody's business. And ESPN has closed up most of their info in the premium section. I use 247 because they have the most free info at the moment and I am not currently devoted enough to recruiting to pay for the info. I don't know what site rankings they use for the composite but scout might be the reason we're still #2 in the composite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.