Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Why is Saban More Consistent at Alabama Than He Was at LSU?

Saban is like fine wine. He gets better with age. The best is yet to come.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

He is a better coach, probably in all phases, than he was then. His NFL experience may have helped. It definitely helped focus his mind on where he wanted to be, i.e. not in the pros. That kind of focus in someone who is as driven and committed to excellence as Saban can be a very potent combination.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Respectfully disagree. We have 20 recruits so far from 13 different states. Saban's recruiting base is the nation...
    Good point. I should have qualified the statement by specifying home state recruiting base.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Like anyone driven, he's gotten better / refined his methods with experience. Who among us isn't better at what we do today than just five years ago? 10?

Not to mention he's been recruiting better...
    LSU recruiting rankings under CNS:
    2000 - 27th
    2001 - 4th
    2002 - 15th
    2003 - 1st
    2004 - 2nd

Bama recruiting rankings under CNS:
    2007 - 10th
    2008 - 1st
    2009 - 1st
    2010 - 5th
    2011 - 1st
    2012 - 1st
    2013 - 1st (currently)
    I think you've nailed it. Increased emphasis on recruiting, with The Process being designed to get the most out of already highly talented players.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Clubfitter View Post
    Saban is like fine wine. He gets better with age. The best is yet to come.
    I like this post the best.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Like anyone driven, he's gotten better / refined his methods with experience. Who among us isn't better at what we do today than just five years ago? 10?

Not to mention he's been recruiting better...
    LSU recruiting rankings under CNS:
    2000 - 27th
    2001 - 4th
    2002 - 15th
    2003 - 1st
    2004 - 2nd

Bama recruiting rankings under CNS:
    2007 - 10th
    2008 - 1st
    2009 - 1st
    2010 - 5th
    2011 - 1st
    2012 - 1st
    2013 - 1st (currently)
    I have to disagree with the "Don't say because we are Alabama" to a degree. I think our tradition and great expectations has to weigh in the equation. I think the recruiting rankings show that he has recruited better at Bama even with the no competition in the state of LA he had at LSWho. And I agree Audio that we are all better at what we do than we were 5-10 yrs ago.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Clearly few had ever heard of Nick Saban, especially in the South, prior to his arrival in Baton Rouge. His process was in formation, not to the extent it is now, but enough to take good talent and turn the program into a winner. I tend to agree with those who have said, while he had the outline for his process at LSU, he perfected it starting in 2007. Think of the talent he had in his first year at Alabama who never bought into what he was selling. I still contend had he stayed at LSU it would be the SEC top dog in most years. The most obvious answer is that he is a better, more mature, more complete coach now than at age 50.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

I don't think he individually is more consistent now I just think he has recruited to where he consistently has more good players.

Suspended

LSU is ok.Bama is Football Glory.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Saban is always getting better. But, his recruiting has been consistently elite since 2003. Something happened in 2003...
    Success breeds success. It took him a few years to build his program into a championship caliber team. Once he did, recruiting became easier (since he can now sell his being a championship coach).

one other thing: we fans seem to think of coaches as either great or not great. In reality great coaches become great coaches - partially by whether they learn from their mistakes or not. Saban still makes mistakes, but one thing that sets Saban apart is that he continually seeks out his mistakes, and is willing to admit fault and thus get better instead of make excuses.
    For a long time, he was becoming a great coach. Now, he is a great coach, and has been since his LSU tenure.

BamaNation Second Team

Selmaborn is right on the money. I couldn't have said it better. Great analysis.

I don't mean to be a downer, but keep in mind folks, we are lucky to be in the NC game two years in a row. We didn't control our own destiny after each season loss. We are fortunate that other teams lost! Of course, we had to be good enough to be right there waiting for the opportunity and we took advantage of it.

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamatide44 View Post
    I don't mean to be a downer, but keep in mind folks, we are lucky to be in the NC game two years in a row. We didn't control our own destiny after each season loss. We are fortunate that other teams lost! Of course, we had to be good enough to be right there waiting for the opportunity and we took advantage of it.
    I call it things evening out. We were snakebit after Coach Stallings resigned and before CNS became our head coach. We had a ten year period where hardly anything went right. We were due for great things to happen considering our great tradition.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Don't sell "being Alabama" short.

When he arrived at LSU he had to change the culture as well as rebuild the program. LSU had 2 recognized NCs and only 7 SECCs and their last NC was in 1958. In other words, LSU had been a decent to good program in the past, but nothing earth shattering. Therefore recruits coming in had no reason to expect not just SECCs, but NCs as well. That's where tradition comes in.

And who has better tradition than Alabama...........no one. No one else can match Alabama for NCs, conference championships and bowl wins.........no one. So when a recruit comes in, sees our trophies, tours the Bryant Museum and checks out our state of the art facilities, well, how can he not be impressed.

Then when he actually puts on that Crimson jersey and runs through the tunnel of BD to the roar of 100,000 plus rabid fans, it'll really hit him that he now represents not just his coaches, teammates and fans, but also all those that came before him that built Bama's unparalleled past. RTR
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American

I think Saban had things set at LSU to start completely dominating the SEC West. Les Miles is not a bad coach, but he has taken advantage of how well Saban left that program. Miles has certainly added his own flair, but I think Saban would have won two or three more titles down there by now. Here's hoping he adds his third at Bama on the seventh of January and that he stays for ten more years.