Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Saban More Consistent at Alabama Than He Was at LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by bamabryan View Post
    I call it things evening out. We were snakebit after Coach Stallings resigned and before CNS became our head coach. We had a ten year period where hardly anything went right. We were due for great things to happen considering our great tradition.
    I had a basketball coach in high school who had a sign that read- I believe in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more luck I have. The point being that what many call bad luck during the Coach Dumbose and Coach Sheila years, I call a lack of discipline and hard work. As long as Coach Saban is in Tuscaloosa, our coaching staff and players will out work, out prepare, and outplay almost everyone else. That doesn't mean we will win all the time, but we will be in the national championship conversation almost every year.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

dubose shula yrs - were probation/scandal only

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clubfitter View Post
    Saban is like fine wine. He gets better with age. The best is yet to come.
    This. He has just gotten better as a coach. Also, he has had much better recruiting at Alabama over the years.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Why is Saban More Consistent at Alabama Than He Was at LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Respectfully disagree. We have 20 recruits so far from 13 different states. Saban's recruiting base is the nation...
    It's actually the world!

CNS is undeniably a great coach. Alabama is a undeniably a great brand. You marry those two together and you have a powerhouse.
    Last edited by JBama_in_PCOLA; December 22nd, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

While always a good recruiter, Coach Saban has now became a great recruiter.
    Better talent equals more wins under Coach Saban.
    Nothing against LSU, but Coach Saban now spends time recruiting Nationally. Not mostly in Louisiana...
    (Thanks to our history and Coach Sabans present... We are now Internationally known)
    Coaching staff evolves with each new hire, but continues to follow the same Offense & Defense... Success.
    The coaching climate in Alabama is great. Coach Saban came in while we were down,
    but he quickly brought us back. (Important)
    At LSU there wasn't much of a winning tradition, until Coach Saban got there.
    It's been a long time since Charlie McClendon... and Coach Bryant still owned Charlie...
    At LSU Coach Saban practically had to start from scratch.
    At Alabama we had the makings of a good team when Coach Saban arrived.
    We just needed a coach to take over and demand that we win... (CMS missed on that one)
    At LSU Coach Saban hadn't developed into the coach he is today.
    A stop in Miami continued his education in Pro Style play.
    Looks like we inherited an improved product.
    Lastly: Coach Saban continues to learn.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: subtract text

BamaNation First Team TidePride50's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Saban More Consistent at Alabama Than He Was at LSU?

Perfect Storm. You take Saban plus Alabama, that equals the well oiled machine we are witnessing.

RTR '12!
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

As just a dumb ole country boy from Georgia, I offer this...

CNS became more perfect with time. Plain and simple. He perfected his "process" and was able to sell it. If you need any example, well this year is the one to prove it. Saban is noted for defense, but this year he has let the offense carry the load. This year the offense has been more ball-control, run the clock, and make the other team stop us than the previous years (I know this will be contested, but hear me out first). In previous years, Saban has asked the offense to do what it could, and then told the defense to stop the opposition.
    To me, this is improvising, adapting, and overcoming. I think Saban has been masterful at this throughout his career, but especially this year.
    I also think that he took a note from two of history's great leaders...Coach Paul Bryant and President Ronald Reagan, surround yourself with great people.

Just my .02 worth. Feel free to flame.
    "Winning isn't everything.
    It's the ONLY thing."
    Vince Lombardi

BamaNation All-American NBF_Bama_Cavalry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a combination of Nick Saban evolving as a head coach and "we're Alabama." I think Saban was a pretty darn good coach while at LSU but. in all honesty, I wasn't real excited when he was hired at Alabama. That's because I saw him as a "pretty darn good coach" but I never dreamed he would be the dynamic force he's become since the beginning of the 2008 season. I think he's a better coach than when he got off the plane in Tuscaloosa that first day and will continue to improve as long as he stays in the profession.

I also believe "we're Alabama" plays a part in it. Ever since Jan 1, 1926 when Alabama defeated Washington in the Rose Bowl there's been a dedication to football that doesn't seem to exist at other SEC schools. That game established Alabama as a national power and, except for relatively brief periods in the years since, Alabama (adminstration, fans, players, etc) expect to win and compete for national championships. It's part of what separates Alabama from Auburn - the goals are higher and everyone from the university president to the equipment manager expects to achieve those goals. Players come to Alabama to win championships - they go to Auburn to beat Bama.
    A good game plan vigorously executed right now is far better than a perfect game plan executed next week. General George Patton (paraphrased)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Bryant at Tuscaloosa = Magic. Saban at Tuscaloosa = Magic. Listen, even poor coaches win SEC championships at Bama. Let a really, really good HC come to Bama and you have magic.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference in Coach now is that he(unlike most coaches) has bought into the coach-speak he's been spouting. The "stay-focused-do-the-right-thing-every-minuet-to-be-sucessfull-type stuff. I've never in my life seen a coach(including Coach Bryant) adhere more closely to his own words in his every day life than Coach does at this stage of his life. $.02

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

At Bama,

mediocre coaches produce good results (e.g., Drew, Perkins, Franchione, etc.)

good coaches produce great results (Thomas, Stallings)

great coaches produce transcedent results (Wade, Bryant, Saban)

Certainly it is true that Saban has improved since LSU, but being at Bama definitely helps. FWIW, Saban may surpass all of Bama's great coaches. If Bama wins on 1/7, it will "officially" be in one of the greatest runs in college football history at a time when the SEC is at it's peak - incredible. And it may be in the midst of the greatest run ever with the the best coach ever against the best competition ever. In the last 4 years Bama is 20-5 against ranked foes, including 11-3 against the top 10. If Bama beats ND this class will have the most wins by an SEC Sr class with 49. It currently is tied with last years' Bama class and UF '09 for the most wins ever by an SEC Sr class. It was a big deal when UF topped previous Bama classes (with several more losses) but no one mentioned last years' achievement nor this years' possibility.

(To 4Q: IMO, Bama's previous 25 years produced more than 6 good years - there were 12 years of 9 or more wins, these were during 11 game regular seasons. And probation/scholarship reductions were a primary cause of the lack of consistent greatness.)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    good coaches produce great results (Thomas, Stallings)

great coaches produce transcedent results (Wade, Bryant, Saban)
    Stallings belongs in the 'great' category - he averaged over .800 over seven seasons...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Post Thanks / Like

Kirby Smart.

I realize that CNS is the brains behind the defense but Kirby has allowed him to focus efforts in other areas of the program.
    "He (Saban) pulled his pants down," Caldwell said, "and said, 'This is how some of you guys look. You're showing your a--. And I'm going to be the only a--hole showing around here.'"