Why is Saban More Consistent at Alabama Than He Was at LSU?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At Bama,

mediocre coaches produce good results (e.g., Drew, Perkins, Franchione, etc.)

good coaches produce great results (Thomas, Stallings)

great coaches produce transcedent results (Wade, Bryant, Saban)

Certainly it is true that Saban has improved since LSU, but being at Bama definitely helps. FWIW, Saban may surpass all of Bama's great coaches. If Bama wins on 1/7, it will "officially" be in one of the greatest runs in college football history at a time when the SEC is at it's peak - incredible. And it may be in the midst of the greatest run ever with the the best coach ever against the best competition ever. In the last 4 years Bama is 20-5 against ranked foes, including 11-3 against the top 10. If Bama beats ND this class will have the most wins by an SEC Sr class with 49. It currently is tied with last years' Bama class and UF '09 for the most wins ever by an SEC Sr class. It was a big deal when UF topped previous Bama classes (with several more losses) but no one mentioned last years' achievement nor this years' possibility.

(To 4Q: IMO, Bama's previous 25 years produced more than 6 good years - there were 12 years of 9 or more wins, these were during 11 game regular seasons. And probation/scholarship reductions were a primary cause of the lack of consistent greatness.)
By most school's standards, you're absolutely right. But part of being Alabama is measuring success by winning championships, or at the very least contending for them late in the year. With a few noted exceptions, we just didn't do that much, by our own historical standards, from 1983 - 2007.

When I referred to the long walk in the wilderness, I was talking about championship contention in the last couple of weeks of the year. Nine-win seasons are nice, but not what we're after, especially when the 9th win comes not in the regular season, but in a lower-tier bowl game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
By most school's standards, you're absolutely right. But part of being Alabama is measuring success by winning championships, or at the very least contending for them late in the year. With a few noted exceptions, we just didn't do that much, by our own historical standards, from 1983 - 2007.

When I referred to the long walk in the wilderness, I was talking about championship contention in the last couple of weeks of the year. Nine-win seasons are nice, but not what we're after, especially when the 9th win comes not in the regular season, but in a lower-tier bowl game.
We won a national championship in that period, which is one more than 99.9% of FBS schools...

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
We won a national championship in that period...
So did BYU, Colorado, Ga Tech and Washington. Heck, even Michigan...

For the 58 seasons starting with 1925 and ending with 1982, Alabama claimed 12 championships, or one about every five years, not to mention near misses in 66, 71, 77. Subsequently to go 25 seasons (1983 - 2007) with only one title and really no more than one near miss (maybe 1989) is a statistically signifiant variance from what we expected once and now do again...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So did BYU, Colorado, Ga Tech and Washington. Heck, even Michigan...

For the 58 seasons starting with 1925 and ending with 1982, Alabama claimed 12 championships, or one about every five years, not to mention near misses in 66, 71, 77. Subsequently to go 25 seasons (1983 - 2007) with only one title and really no more than one near miss (maybe 1989) is a statistically signifiant variance from what we expected once and now do again...
Edward, you know I do love a data-based position. It might not always be the popularly-favored one, but it's a lot harder to refute facts than it is feelings.

This season is a particularly difficult one for you and your family. From a credit geek to a strategic professional, I wish you and all the women in your life the most valuable thing I have been privileged to experience (if for only fleeting moments at a time)...peace.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
When Alabama has a Great Coach, we win! Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul W. Bryant, Gene Stallings, and Coach Saban. There are just some Coaches who have the skill set to win at Alabama. Those mentioned have it.

Tradition plus great coach.

Been there, done that!

After Coach Saban, we'll continue to do it when we have a great coach.

Just don't hire someone who doesn't know stuff from shinola: DuBose, et al.

By the way, LSWho does NOT have that ELITE TRADITION and look at their OVERALL record against Alabama.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I do not consider the Stallings' years to be part of the wilderness:
1990 ... 7-5 with astonishing wins over UT and AU
1991 ... 11-1 with a win over the defending national champion in the Blockbuster Bowl
1992 ... 13-0, SEC West Champions, SEC Champions, National Champions
1993 ... 9-3-1, SEC West Champions
1994 ... 12-1, SEC West Champions, Citrus Bowl Champions
1995 ... 8-3, a down-year on probation
1996 ... 10-3, SEC West Champions, Blockbuster Bowl Champions.

That's a 70-win time period, with a national championship, SEC championship, 4 SEC West Division Titles, and 5 Bowl victories.

The SEC Championship Game changed thing a lot.
The four SEC West Titles would've been closer to SEC Championships in the pre-expansion days.

BamaMcGowin

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2012
Corydon, Iowa
I think its also partly due to the fact that LSU didn't give him the control over the entire program as we have. He is able to impliment his system and process everywhere he sees fit, and Mal Moore, the players, the other coaches, and the fan base trust him with it all. Its not any one area that we can point to, but a culmination of all the different things about Alabama and who we are that fit him well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.